Thread: Cam symptoms

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Cam symptoms

Ok guys its been a few days since i got my tsp 233/239 camshaft installed along with other stuff and it is running ultra rich at idle. When the car heats up fully it will start smoking and shit. I filled my gas up yesterday and its already a quarter gone. I was told this isnt a big deal and a dyno tune will fix it. Thats what i had in mind also. I keep getting codes that are 171,174, and 300. I read the 300 one is normal for having a un tuned camshaft. My questions basically are is this pretty much normal things until i get it tuned and will it hurt the car to say DD it for a few weeks? My other question is my friend has a diablo tuner and i was thinking maybe i can mess with the fuel/air ratio to calm down the water fall of gas its pooring into the motor. Can i just plug it into the brain and change things or do i need a chip for my specific car? Any input will help thanks!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

DO NOT MESS WITH THE DIABLO!!!!

You need a tune. Badly.
    It is going to be running rich to protect itself. Judging by the codes....I wouldn't drive it much until tuned.

P0300...Random misfire. I still set that one off at idle.
    P0171...System too lean (bank 1)
    P0174...System too lean (bank 2)

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ok no diablo but i know what the codes are i just need some input on if it will screw it up if i drive it around a lot?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For sure don't go WOT.
    Keep it under 2500 for sure until tuned.

Asking for trouble otherwise. Lean is not a good thing.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

you think its running rich at idle and lean while on the gas?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The sensors are seeing lean....so the computer tries to make up for it by dumping fuel.

Until you get it tuned...it won't know what is going on.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ya i understand. Its definately "dumping" fuel. I should be able to get it tuned in the week coming up.

Black
    99 Silverado

Getting lean codes is not normal for a cam install... you either have a real lean condition from something such as the intake not being installed correctly, or you have an exhaust leak causing a "perceived" lean condition which will add unnecessary fuel and cause it to be rich... either way, you have a mechanical issue you need to address before getting it tuned.

The 0300 is normal from a cam install and will be fixed by the tuner - it doesn't effect how the car runs in the mean time unless you have an automatic, then it can cause converter locking/unlocking issues...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

well these codes didnt come on before the cam and the headers didnt come off so i cant think of any exhaust leaks, anywhere i could check? And im almost 100% positive the intake was put back on correct. What should i look for? i need to get started.
    Last edited by Lunatikgixxer; 10-24-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Black
    99 Silverado

With the car idling, spray carb cleaner around the intake and throttle body - if there is a vacuum leak, you will hear the engine change when it sucks in the carb cleaner... Do you have air tubes on the headers?

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LSXZ28 View Post
    With the car idling, spray carb cleaner around the intake and throttle body - if there is a vacuum leak, you will hear the engine change when it sucks in the carb cleaner... Do you have air tubes on the headers?
    ok ill have to try this tomorrow... no i dont. They are just pacesetter long tubes. Like i said im 99% positive i dont have an exhaust leak, i didnt before the cam swap and we didnt touch the exhaust for the swap so i dont see it being that.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i sprayed the carb cleaner around the manifold everywhere i could and there is no leak...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    DO NOT MESS WITH THE DIABLO!!!!

You need a tune. Badly.
    It is going to be running rich to protect itself. Judging by the codes....I wouldn't drive it much until tuned.

P0300...Random misfire. I still set that one off at idle.
    P0171...System too lean (bank 1)
    P0174...System too lean (bank 2)
    +1 on this. I wouldn't drive my car anywhere but straight to the tuner after a cam swap.

Black
    99 Silverado

I've tuned hundreds of these cars - as long as you are easy on it, you will not hurt it driving it - it will just be hard as hell to keep it running until you get it tuned because the idle and low rpm will be rich... You don't want to get on it at ALL though! It will start to go lean around 4k rpm and get worse as you go up...

I don't doubt you about the exhaust leak - it would have to leak on both sides to get codes for both banks - what are the chances of that...

Did you change anything else - like the MAF for instance? How much did you run it?

It takes being 25% lean to set the codes - running it at much more than an idle with it actually that lean and it would stumble and run horrible... they always throw that code from either a vacuum leak on the intake (or between the MAF and intake) or a change to the MAF.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LSXZ28 View Post
    I've tuned hundreds of these cars - as long as you are easy on it, you will not hurt it driving it - it will just be hard as hell to keep it running until you get it tuned because the idle and low rpm will be rich... You don't want to get on it at ALL though! It will start to go lean around 4k rpm and get worse as you go up...

I don't doubt you about the exhaust leak - it would have to leak on both sides to get codes for both banks - what are the chances of that...

Did you change anything else - like the MAF for instance? How much did you run it?

It takes being 25% lean to set the codes - running it at much more than an idle with it actually that lean and it would stumble and run horrible... they always throw that code from either a vacuum leak on the intake (or between the MAF and intake) or a change to the MAF.
    i checked the exhaust through and through yesterday. there are zero leaks. I checked the mani and maf today. There is nothing. I didnt touch anything with the maf nothing changed. Like i said the car runs completely normal and sometimes it will want to stall it will go down to like 200rpms but IT WONT STALL, even if i dont touch the gas at all it wont stall, itll go down then come back up and hang out around 400 rpms, if i give it a little throttle itll idle normal.. Everyone is telling me it just needs a tune bad.
    Last edited by Lunatikgixxer; 10-25-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Black
    99 Silverado

I totally agree it needs a tune - I just didn't want to see you go to get the tune and there be something else wrong with the car... I've seen that more times than I can count... Take it to the tuner, as long as he is good, if there is anything else going on, he will help you find it. Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ok im going to get a tuned tomorrow and he is the best in my area. I will let you know how it goes

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ok guys i got my car tunes and let me tell you what a difference! its real nice now and hauls! My tuner said its most likely an oil leak which he tinks is caused by a valve seal being put on wrong or something to do with the PCV system. Either way its not a huge problem and doesnt exact the performance of the car. I will be getting that checked out and fixed soon enough. It was a long day and i am very satisfied.

Thread Information