Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

cam swap and mpg

This is a discussion on cam swap and mpg within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; With the direction this country is going, and another Obama term,,,,,that's what I see happening with gas prices. It's only ...

With the direction this country is going, and another Obama term,,,,,that's what I see happening with gas prices. It's only a matter of time. $4 a gallon is just warming us up to the idea. Unless we start drilling around here prices will continue to creep up.

I'm not one to let gas prices dictate what I have to drive, which is why this whole thread is interesting to me. I've spent some time within the last few years finding ways to make the cars that I have more efficient. I have some big blocks here that aren't really all that bad on gas.
    Just makes sense to me to keep what I have and tweak, rather than spend thousands on another car just for the fuel economy. That's alot of money for another car that could go toward gas right there

I've been able to get fuel mileage out of my 72 4x4 blazer with a 6.0 LS engine that people don't get with their brand spanking new $50,000 SUV's.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not meant for?? I don't know, it's been GM's quest for years and the car is designed around that concept. It's been one of the better MPG cars I've ever owned. Considering it's a V8 that is capable of over 30 mpg I'd say they do pretty darn good for themselves. I just have a simple tune with a wideband and get right at 30 mpg with mine. I can't complain, the car is efficient enough to make anyone happy to drive daily. Some of your econo boxes with smaller engines barely get that kind of mileage. So it's nothing to sneeze at.

The LS1 vette guys talk about getting 32-34 mpg quite often. This .50 overdrive is the key. When you look at other V8's built since then, there really hasn't been any improvements in mileage. Cars have gotten heavier and they have resorted to cylinder deactivation and other goofy methods.

Even your reported 18 mpg isn't horrible considering, but I'd bet there is alot more in there to be had with some tuning tricks. Especially the 10-11 around town.
    Guess it would surprise you if I said I have a couple of 40 year old muscle cars here with engines twice the size that are getting similar MPG figures and doing it with a carb and no overdrive

With gas prices slowly climbing, (and they will keep doing so), gas mileage goals aren't such a bad thing. Within the next 3-4 years I see $5 a gallon at the pump being a regular accurance. They are just warming us up to the idea right now
    obviously could be worse and yes i have heard of people getting 30+ mpgs but im a beliver when i see it not that it cant be done however with how heavy my foot is i couldnt even get 30 mpgs in a prius

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

With the direction this country is going, and another Obama term,,,,,that's what I see happening with gas prices. It's only a matter of time. $4 a gallon is just warming us up to the idea. Unless we start drilling around here prices will continue to creep up.

I'm not one to let gas prices dictate what I have to drive, which is why this whole thread is interesting to me. I've spent some time within the last few years finding ways to make the cars that I have more efficient. I have some big blocks here that aren't really all that bad on gas.
    Just makes sense to me to keep what I have and tweak, rather than spend thousands on another car just for the fuel economy. That's alot of money for another car that could go toward gas right there

I've been able to get fuel mileage out of my 72 4x4 blazer with a 6.0 LS engine that people don't get with their brand spanking new $50,000 SUV's.
    im right there with you on that idc what the prices are i will still drive what i want

blue
    2001 trans am

right. all this being said i am not complaining about my mpg now, as i said its 20 in town and thats great im very happy with it. I would be disappointing in going from 20mpg to 10mpg though at least until i have something else to drive around most of the time but a mild cam shouldn't drop me that much while gaining some power.

Black
    Trans am

i have a 228R Cam making 405hp. and im getting 15 city and 22 hwy. one day i drove claim and easy and got 18 in the city, then drove around racing and got 8mpg. its all about how you drive. ms3 cam and the TSP 233 239 are good cam, but if your a traffic everyday like me, i wont go with a cam bigger than a 228R. but if ur not then ur find
    Last edited by FMR_TransAm; 05-13-2012 at 09:03 PM.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

OP look into a place called EB3 motorsports i think is what its called. Its around Woodbrigde. I dont know what part of VA your in but could be worth looking into.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

you guys suck......j/k.

best mileage i can get is about 14 city. mostly stock LS1 - 6 speed, SLP lid and dual-dual SLP exhaust.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I dont see yall get such good mileage....its easy for me to go through a whoel take with city miles, and i get about 11 or 12....filled up today and it averaged out to 13.7, but that was 1/3 highway 2/3 city. my last trip with a lot of highway i got 23ish

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I dont see yall get such good mileage....its easy for me to go through a whoel take with city miles, and i get about 11 or 12....filled up today and it averaged out to 13.7, but that was 1/3 highway 2/3 city. my last trip with a lot of highway i got 23ish
    Are you stock? These cars stock were EPA rated at 19/28 city/highway. No way you should be getting 11-12 mpg in town. That tells me something desperately needs attention or your driving habits are on the extreme side of lead foot

Hell I can drive mine a little spirited around town and I might only loose 1-2 mpg from my normal 22-23 in town mpg.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i have an LS6 intake, LTs and ORY, frost tune. 3.42s and M6, no EGR or AIR.

my biggest issue is that i drive under 40 most of the time, i spend quite a bit of time in 1st and 2nd gear...i shift between 2000 and 2500 RPMs and cruise along at 1500-2000 RPMs.

most of my miles are too and from work, 1.2 miles, and its a big hill in between, so i start off my commute up a big ass hill both ways.

but from stock, to my current state, my mileage hasnt moved much, except maybe go up a little, getting tuned, and getting rid of my SLP lid for the Volant made the biggest gas mileage changes.

i have an LS6 intake, LTs and ORY, frost tune. 3.42s and M6, no EGR or AIR.

my biggest issue is that i drive under 40 most of the time, i spend quite a bit of time in 1st and 2nd gear...i shift between 2000 and 2500 RPMs and cruise along at 1500-2000 RPMs.

most of my miles are too and from work, 1.2 miles, and its a big hill in between, so i start off my commute up a big ass hill both ways.

but from stock, to my current state, my mileage hasnt moved much, except maybe go up a little, getting tuned, and getting rid of my SLP lid for the Volant made the biggest gas mileage changes.
    Some of that may be your driving habits. Our cars are setup identical other than I run a smallish camshaft. I still run 3.42's in our 6 speed and by 40 mph I'm in 5th gear minimum, at 45 I'm in 6th easily and the car runs around nicely, even up and down the mountain terrain here. I'll run 5th gear as slow as 30 mph. As long as the rpms are around 1100 it putts around town just fine and doesn't chug or complain even with a smallish cam. Easily 22-23 mpg consistently.

I never cruise along at 2000 rpms as you listed, the overdrive is there so you don't have to do that, and there is really no reason to be buzzing the engine that high around town. That's alot of your gas usage right there. I could see needing to drive a little 4 banger like that so you have some butt to accelerate,,,,but these LS engines pull down to a low rpm nicely and don't complain with enough grunt to accelerate even with moderate pedal movement.
    Highway is a different story, as I'm cruising along at about 16-1800 rpms,,,but I'm also covering a further distance in a short amount of time (6th gear and 3.42's)

Experiment with your driving habits, make sure the tires are full of air, new 02's if they haven't been changed in a while, clean the maf, (all simple stuff) and I'll bet you see a rather large mpg change.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Some of that may be your driving habits. Our cars are setup identical other than I run a smallish camshaft. I still run 3.42's in our 6 speed and by 40 mph I'm in 5th gear minimum, at 45 I'm in 6th easily and the car runs around nicely, even up and down the mountain terrain here. I'll run 5th gear as slow as 30 mph. As long as the rpms are around 1100 it putts around town just fine and doesn't chug or complain even with a smallish cam. Easily 22-23 mpg consistently.

I never cruise along at 2000 rpms as you listed, the overdrive is there so you don't have to do that, and there is really no reason to be buzzing the engine that high around town. That's alot of your gas usage right there. I could see needing to drive a little 4 banger like that so you have some butt to accelerate,,,,but these LS engines pull down to a low rpm nicely and don't complain with enough grunt to accelerate even with moderate pedal movement.
    Highway is a different story, as I'm cruising along at about 16-1800 rpms,,,but I'm also covering a further distance in a short amount of time (6th gear and 3.42's)

Experiment with your driving habits, make sure the tires are full of air, new 02's if they haven't been changed in a while, clean the maf, (all simple stuff) and I'll bet you see a rather large mpg change.

i have a skip shift eliminator installed in my car, but here lately i have been shifting from 1st to 4th, it takes alittle getting used to but it seems to do just fine. im also in 5th at about 40 mph.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I got in the habit of shifting 1-2 at higher RPMS to avoid skip shift, and haven't broken it. skip shift is gone now

I clean the MAF every few thousand miles, and my O2s are a year old.
    and BTW, im hunting down a Gremlin that keeps making my SES light come on with a knock sensor code, I'm sure that doesn't help

but based on your driving habits listed, at a given speed, you are 1 gear higher than me. I didn't think it'd make THAT big of a difference, I'll give it a shot

I got in the habit of shifting 1-2 at higher RPMS to avoid skip shift, and haven't broken it. skip shift is gone now

I clean the MAF every few thousand miles, and my O2s are a year old.
    and BTW, im hunting down a Gremlin that keeps making my SES light come on with a knock sensor code, I'm sure that doesn't help

but based on your driving habits listed, at a given speed, you are 1 gear higher than me. I didn't think it'd make THAT big of a difference, I'll give it a shot
    Actually, to take this a step further, I consistently pick up about 1 mpg per tank by skip shifting. Mine isn't hooked up but I skip shift different gears on purpose. Around town I'll go from 3rd to 5th when putting around,,,and even go 4th to 6th if it looks like I'll get above 40 mph. If I know I'm going to be putting at 20 mph due to slow traffic, I'll go from 2nd to 4th.

This really isn't a result of wanting to save fuel, I just tend to drive like that around town to cut down on the shifting. Guess you get that way when you get old. The added fuel mileage I found was just a bonus.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

well i do that too, especially 4-6 when im getting on the highway., but 1-4 leaving a red light sucked, lol, especially up hill

but 1-4 leaving a red light sucked, lol, especially up hill
    Yeah that's why I never go 1st to 4th (removed the skip shift) But 2nd to 4th works good in that situation. Sometimes if it's a bigger hill, I'll go 1-2-3 and then 5th.

Have owned my 2001 since new. Cam and headers. Have NEVER checked gas mileage in 31 K miles and never will. Can't afford gas sell it.

I sort of share that sentiment, except the sell part. I won't let the gas dictate what I have to drive, I would rather investigate ways of making the car more efficient so that I can keep enjoying it, and I think that's the premise here.

Makes more sense to make what you have efficient rather than by another $40,000 fuel friendly car.

Like I mentioned,,,,these prices are just a warm up In a couple 3-4 years we'll be paying that $5 mark on a regular basis guaranteed, unless someone steps in and starts drilling around here. May as well start making your cars more efficient now and get used to the idea.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

one move i made, when buying a house, was choosing its location...even at 11mpg avg, i only buy 1 tank a month. I chose a location where I am 1.2 miles from work, my wife was less than 2, but now she works from home. I'm walking distance to the grocery store, and less than 3 from pretty much anywhere else I want to go.

I do miss being out of the city limits though

one move i made, when buying a house, was choosing its location...even at 11mpg avg, i only buy 1 tank a month. I chose a location where I am 1.2 miles from work, my wife was less than 2, but now she works from home. I'm walking distance to the grocery store, and less than 3 from pretty much anywhere else I want to go.

I do miss being out of the city limits though
    I'd just ride a bicycle if I lived that close to anything Nice to be close in, but I need my 40x60 shop and that usually doesn't go over too well in tight neighborhoods and townships with restrictions. So we need to be out in the suburbs a bit.

Actually AZ allows litte things like quads and side-by-sides to be tagged and street legal here, and most people use them for transportation around town. They are pretty good on gas and a whole lot of fun to ride. We've been looking at a 4 seater side-by-side (polaris 900 XP) to use up in the mountains around here for off roading. I might be tempted to tool around town in it too for short trips.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information