Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cam swap 233/239 cam vs torquer v2

This is a discussion on cam swap 233/239 cam vs torquer v2 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by ls1camino I think what you're missing is that the Torquer V.2 is more popular than the 233/239, ...

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I think what you're missing is that the Torquer V.2 is more popular than the 233/239, and that you should have already bought the T V.2
    i dont want to get something just because thats what everyone else has i wants to get something cuz its right for what i want

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    i dont want to get something just because thats what everyone else has i wants to get something cuz its right for what i want
    Its popular for a reason It fits most peoples power thirst, its driveablility is good for DD, it doesn't affect gas mileage as bad as bigger cams, etc..... Only downfall is it is harder to tune but either way when you pay for a dyno tune, they keep the car strapped down til its running right.

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Its popular for a reason It fits most peoples power thirst, its driveablility is good for DD, it doesn't affect gas mileage as bad as bigger cams, etc..... Only downfall is it is harder to tune but either way when you pay for a dyno tune, they keep the car strapped down til its running right.
    ive heard alot of people say they wish they would have gone a bit bigger

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

99% of people say that unless they have experience with camshafts and know what to expect. Most people just pick a camshaft that they THINK will work good and then find out what to expect.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

nice.... still looking for more info on the 233/239 cam thanks guys
    id still like to see some more info on the 233/239... isnt that bigger than the T2?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    id still like to see some more info on the 233/239... isnt that bigger than the T2?
    Go to LS1Tech and do advanced search for threads with 233/239 in the title. I got pages and pages of info on this cam.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Go to LS1Tech and do advanced search for threads with 233/239 in the title. I got pages and pages of info on this cam.
    ha, thats why i hate goin to tech. theres too much stuff to read.

hugger orange

I'm one of them lol I was afraid to go too big and ended with a good small cam (220/224), very close to GM Hot cam with more lift.
    I just ordered a 236/242 .580/.590 112lsa to drop in when I do my oil pump and timing set.......in a few weeks I'll be able to tell you if I went too big this time lol

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i have the v2 so no more help then the rest but i got 403rwhp out of it with my stock ls6 intake and heads with just bolt on's.
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

Pewter
    1999 Formula Firebird

Im looking at getting the Torquer V.2 cam too in a few months i hope my question is what else is needed with the cam? do u have to get new springs, lifters, gaskets etc? Sorry im use to dealing with DOHC's some im new to this. Also from what iv heard the V.2 seems to be the best bang for the money on a DD is this right? Also how much does a cam swap run like at a shop or just anywere i dont think id trust myself tearing into the engine like that.
    Last edited by empire_942; 12-02-2009 at 10:51 AM.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by empire_942 View Post
    Im looking at getting the Torquer V.2 cam too in a few months i hope my question is what else is needed with the cam? do u have to get new springs, lifters, gaskets etc? Sorry im use to dealing with DOHC's some im new to this. Also from what iv heard the V.2 seems to be the best bang for the money on a DD is this right? Also how much does a cam swap run like at a shop or just anywere i dont think id trust myself tearing into the engine like that.
    you will need valve springs, pushrods and probably waterpump gasket. while your in the motor, do yourself a favor and get a Ls2 timing set and high volume oil pump.

it not that hard of a job, but probably looking at around $500+ for install and you will need a tune.

heads don't need to come off and you can't get to the lifters without pulling the heads.
    a day, 12 pack of beer and a friend or two and the cam swap is done.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by empire_942 View Post
    It's easy you are only dealing with one cam instead of four

OK a cam kit with springs, pushrods, locks and retainers is $700. Fluids, gaskets and pulley bolt about $50. Definitely spend the $40 for an LS2 chain while your there. Me and most others do an oil pump too. If you are a 98 or 99 car I would highly recomend it as they are more prone to fail. My Melling 10296 pump was about $140. Throw in $700 to install and another $500 for a tune and it adds up fast.

Honestly though it's not that hard to do it yourself. The pulley can be a PIA and the rear valvesprings require some patience. And get or rent a Crane or Vinci valvespring tool and you will save a lot of headache. It can be done in a day but allow youself a weekend Read this>>>>>http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Pewter
    1999 Formula Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    It's easy you are only dealing with one cam instead of four

OK a cam kit with springs, pushrods, locks and retainers is $700. Fluids, gaskets and pulley bolt about $50. Definitely spend the $40 for an LS2 chain while your there. Me and most others do an oil pump too. If you are a 98 or 99 car I would highly recomend it as they are more prone to fail. My Melling 10296 pump was about $140. Throw in $700 to install and another $500 for a tune and it adds up fast.

Honestly though it's not that hard to do it yourself. The pulley can be a PIA and the rear valvesprings require some patience. And get or rent a Crane or Vinci valvespring tool and you will save a lot of headache. It can be done in a day but allow youself a weekend Read this>>>>>http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
    Thanks iv been looking for that site i found it not to long ago and forgot to bookmark it. Ill have to get with my local tuner he has tuned my car before and all my friends LS1. Header tunes etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information