Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

cam on stock ls1??

This is a discussion on cam on stock ls1?? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; with a cam swap should you pull the heads ive been told you can do it without, what abot the ...

white
    99 trans am convertible

with a cam swap should you pull the heads ive been told you can do it without, what abot the lifters?

white
    99 trans am convertible

also how would a ms4 respond to a little spray? still have stock bottom end.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter View Post
    also how would a ms4 respond to a little spray? still have stock bottom end.
    you dont have to pull heads or intake

M3+LS1=Badass

Cosmos black
    1995 BMW M3

So the G5X3 can be used on a stock LS1 without an other mods??

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Not valves, valve springs. 10-20K miles for the MS4, maybe a little longer with the MS3.

ok, im new to the cam stuff. you say i can get about this many miles outta the springs....will it be like clock work? or will i know when its time to do springs?

red
    1998 camaro z28

No it will not be like clock work however when you start to get around that many miles its not a bad idea just to pull the valve covers and check them. Also depends on ur driving style, could be sooner that they go out too. If a spring goes the car will run like crap ull know if a spring goes.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

will it cause a shit ton of upper end damage when a spring goes out?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Skoole View Post
    you gotta be kidding.......right
    that cam is designed for a full-boogie, race-only, large-displacement, high-compression, all-out drag-car..
    I'm sure what you meant to say is....the TSP 228R is perfect for your mostly street-driven car and will respond nicely to aftermarket heads and exhaust mods, choose the 112 degree LSA for the "lope" your seeking.

Yes I'm dead-set against any cam with over 230 degrees duration @.050" valve lift that has to live on the street, don't get me wrong here, that is the pefect cam for the drag-strip where the engine never runs below 3000rpm..

Just my $.02
    WHOA!!! way wrong... try going to 4:30 gears in the rear and having a good tune...

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    Like i said before it depends on ur driving if ur a4 u wont have to worry about miss shifts as much and floating valves and breaking valve train. Usually if a spring just goes out ull notice the car run rough and no it doesnt cause a lot of damage just make sure to get it changed ASAP and try not to drive on it. I see ur from IA according to mapquest ur bout 4 hours away from me not too far if you really need help with somethin sometime let me know.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

oh ok cool...i started another thread about cams and might be settled on a 228r cam. so once i figure out what springs i need ill be getting them. then ill have to worry about tuning the lil booger. thanks for the help. ill keep the 4 hour drive in mind too

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    Like i said before it depends on ur driving if ur a4 u wont have to worry about miss shifts as much and floating valves and breaking valve train. Usually if a spring just goes out ull notice the car run rough and no it doesnt cause a lot of damage just make sure to get it changed ASAP and try not to drive on it. I see ur from IA according to mapquest ur bout 4 hours away from me not too far if you really need help with somethin sometime let me know.
    they also tend to be really noisey... it can cause a shit load of damage... you can bend/snap a valve easy...

If you're running one of the larger cams that cuts piston to valve clearance very tight, absolutely. The springs get weak over time, and although they may not be so bad as to cause noticable valve float, they can easily lose valve control enough to slightly bend the valves. Any amount of valve contact no matter how slight on a running engine will bend the valve(s). Complete loss of valve control can result in broken valves, cracked pistons, scored cylinder heads and walls etc etc.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

oh ok cool...i started another thread about cams and might be settled on a 228r cam. so once i figure out what springs i need ill be getting them. then ill have to worry about tuning the lil booger. thanks for the help. ill keep the 4 hour drive in mind too
    My cam is very close to the 228r and I choose the Patriot Golds even though it is a little over kill. However, they are one of the cheaper dual springs and I wanted the extra insurance of having a slightly beefier spring. So far no troubles, but I have not put very many miles on them at all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information