Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

cam on stock ls1??

This is a discussion on cam on stock ls1?? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My car is a 98 and it has stock heads, intake and t body. It has a TRex in it ...

white
    98 Z-28

My car is a 98 and it has stock heads, intake and t body. It has a TRex in it and I drive it 150 miles each way to the track and back. I have 4.30 gears with a M6. I average 15mpg driving there and racing all day. I can drive in 6th at 2200rpm no problem as long as I don't lug it to much. And so far it has gone 11.97 @115.7mph.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Ok guys so I have an update for everyone on some things with my car. Last night we drove 4 hrs one way to work on the car, I had the tranny rebuilt, pacesetter LTs, ORY, pro 5.0 shifter all to put int and also take the stock manifolds off first. We started at 10:30 at night and had it all in and running by 5 am and the new LTs with my corsa cat back sounded sick. When we got finished we noticed what I feared I still ended up having valve problems. Now I have to pull heads replace valves and while im at it the valvetrain is all getting upgraded. I have decided with the magic stick v.3 cam but I do not know what else complete to get my list was, roller rockers, ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, roller lifters I already have chromolly pushrods. So my questions are what else may I want to look at while im at it and not heads as i can not afford those yet? Also where can i find maybe a package deal as texas speed I will call but some of their prices im not liking to well?

May I recommend the MS4? It is a slightly bigger, but fear not. It makes much more low end torque and drives a lot better than the MS3 does.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    May I recommend the MS4? It is a slightly bigger, but fear not. It makes much more low end torque and drives a lot better than the MS3 does.
    Could you specify on your terms of drives better please? Just curious b/c everyones preference is different.

Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    Could you specify on your terms of drives better please? Just curious b/c everyones preference is different.
    Like I stated earlier, the MS4 makes a ton of high RPM power, but due to the new intake lobe it behaves in the lower RPMs like a cam with 15 degrees less duration.

Again, the tune really is paramount. A tune that's sub-par will leave you unhappy and jumping on the small cam bandwagon that many people jump on. Having driven 2 different bolt-on M6 cars, one with the MS3 and one with the MS4 (same tuner), the MS4 provided better throttle response and didn't have the low RPM power lag that the MS3 car did. The only problem with the MS4 is that clearances run really tight, and it requires a really good spring that will need replacing more often.

You may want to reconsider your exhaust. You, my coworker, and I all share the same exhaust setup. His is REALLY raspy. Mine never was due to my driveline setup, but I installed a cutout that I left partially open. Doing so didn't change the volume or tone much, but completely eliminated what little rasp I had.

If you're going in to do all that valvetrain work, I suggest you get some LS7 lifters. I bought them from my local Chevy dealer for $105. The quieted down the valvetrain a lot. No sewing machine noise

Good luck on finding better prices than what TSP offers. They're pretty competitive!

1969mach1
    here are a few good cam to run on a stock LS1 with stock haeds
    http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_engine01.asp

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    You live in a BIG state that has literally thousands of LS1s running those types of cams on docile daily drivers. Hopefully you'll run into one of those one day and be welcomed to the New School.

I see in another one of your posts that someone asked for LS1 head recommendations, and you posted "for 350ci - 180cc" You sir, need to wake up

white
    99 trans am convertible

with a ms3 cam swap what valve train components need to be updated? and what brands are a reliable swap?

black
    2001 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter View Post
    with a ms3 cam swap what valve train components need to be updated? and what brands are a reliable swap?
    prc or patriot spring package and some hardened pushrods.

white
    99 trans am convertible

If im having to update the valve train for the ms3. How big of a cam could I go on the stock heads? Without spending too much just to make it work?

red
    1998 camaro z28

You could go with an ms4 on stock heads or get a custom grind cam a little larger but ms4 is pushing the limits of stock heads. You will def. need a dual spring kit and have to change your springs more often. If your going with a large cam on stock heads your still looking to spend a good amount.

white
    99 trans am convertible

for a dd the ms3 is probably the best bet? I dont want to put alot of money into this motor. Then save up for a big one!!

red
    1998 camaro z28

LOL dont get me wrong im not trying to put u down, but have you looked at the difference b/w the ms3 and ms4? Both are off the shelf large cams for a DD I would not even go with this big of a cam the valve train upgrades are gonna cost you the same for both. Only difference is the ms4 has proven to have better immediate tq gains and some upper rpm gains. The difference is not huge so if ur looking simply for a nice dd cam that you wont have to change your spring kit as often go with a nice mild 224 or 228 cam.

white
    99 trans am convertible

I have looked at the cams. Im just starting to get the jist of them. Im just doing my research for now before i make the purchase. How often do you think the valves need to be swapped out with the m3 and m4?

for a dd the ms3 is probably the best bet? I dont want to put alot of money into this motor. Then save up for a big one!!
    The MS4 has better manners of the 2, but if you ever decide to upgrade the heads the MS4 will require a lesser head or cut pistons. Upgrading the entire valvetrain with either is an absolute must, it's NOT an option. And if you're a 6 speed, you should look into at least 3.73 gears, or more ideally a 4.10.

red
    1998 camaro z28

I have looked at the cams. Im just starting to get the jist of them. Im just doing my research for now before i make the purchase. How often do you think the valves need to be swapped out with the m3 and m4?
    Valves themselves should not have to be swapped out unless you over rev the car and bend the valves. You can run ms3 or ms4 on stock heads with stock valves. You will just need a good spring kit like the prc dual spring kit and you will also need to upgrade your pushrods to hardened rods. Along with that you basic good ideas while doin the swap is the ls2 timing chain, ls6 oil pump, then you will need a gasket kit. Everything new cam and valve train upgrade is over $1k do some searching in the for sale sections and you may save some money.

Not valves, valve springs. 10-20K miles for the MS4, maybe a little longer with the MS3.

white
    99 trans am convertible

great info fellas thankyou

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

4000 vig stall.. and an ms4... just my .02......

stall goes with any big cams

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

only thing is you gotta fly cut the pistons to go with after market heads.. costs about 500 range... but if your going to go with just cam... and not heads then you will probably get the most outta this cam.. know a guy who puts down 385 with just this cam.. and another friend that puts down around 405-410 w/ H/C.. cant remember the numbers but its te biggest cam you can have without fly cutting.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information