Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cam and stall...

This is a discussion on Cam and stall... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones For the record, there are camshafts specifically ground for LS engines that run the stock manifolds. ...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    For the record, there are camshafts specifically ground for LS engines that run the stock manifolds. They have gone by names such as Cheater cams, Stealth cams, etc.....
    For those that can't use long tubes for emissions reason or many other reasons such as wanting to keep a stock and stealthy look when you pop the hood.
    And there are plenty of LS motors out there running these cams with a set of heads on stock manifolds and making 400 rwhp, idle as smooth as a stocker and make people scratch their heads . Nothing wrong with that approach at all. Ever here of pure stock racing or the FAST series??? You just need to get out more, that's all

To the original poster, don't know what direction to suggest, many here have given some great ideas.
    You can make 400 rwhp a number of different ways, on the motor only, or any number of power adders.
    On the motor only you can spend less money doing a bigger cam and a cheap set of heads and get close, but it's going to be more on the radical side.
    You can spend more money and do a really nice set of heads and a more mild camshaft and have what will seem to be a much tamer combination that is more friendly to drive.
    You really have to decide what you want to put up with and how much money you want to spend. There is no real set answer to your question unfortunately.
    I am well aware that there are sleeper cams out there. Im just saying that I dont know a lot of ppl who put a cam into a car for the sleeper effect. Majority of the ppl want others to hear the nasty sound of lopey cam through a set of LT's and out of a catback/duals. Putting a cam into a basically stock car just isnt my thing and will never be.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Hang around the F.A.S.T. series and you'll see everyone doing it. I have 2 classic cars in my garage currently that have that done. I find it pretty neat to see a car that looks like a 14 second bone stocker crack off high 10's at 130 mph, and do it on polyglass tires.
    I can also appreciate the desire to hear a lopy cam. Sounds great but doesn't necessarily mean anything. I've heard some nasty sounding cars that couldn't get out of their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ehhh not really a free mod...nor does it improve horsepower that much...considering you need a tune to actually idle and fuel properly
    I don't think the bump stop mod has been mentioned. You can also port your own throttle body for free with a little basic know how.

Not that either of those 2 did anything for my cars though

For the EGR equipped cars, cutting back the tube that sticks down into the air passage is also considered a freeby.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

well thanks everyone ive got some good info off of this... im going to start getting my bolt-ons this winter so its ready for next spring.. Now just one more questions what bolts should i start with? im getting an slp lid here soon but where should i go from there?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Coydawg6 View Post
    well thanks everyone ive got some good info off of this... im going to start getting my bolt-ons this winter so its ready for next spring.. Now just one more questions what bolts should i start with? im getting an slp lid here soon but where should i go from there?
    Once you get a lid, your induction should be pretty free flowing. You have a 2002 so you have the LS6 intake already (saved you a couple hundred $)

Then get some longtubes and a catback/duals.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

ok thanks... my buddy just told me he was getting a venom chip for his car.. should he get it or not cuz im really not sure what to tell him..

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you dont use chips for our cars period... a tuner is what he needs like hp tuner or efi live ......also if i were you...id wait on the cat back...and take that 400-600 and put it towards true duals along with your headers...you'll thank me later

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ehhh not really a free mod...nor does it improve horsepower that much...considering you need a tune to actually idle and fuel properly
    thats one of the things that i did and it made a little bit of a difference not a ton but some and i didnt have to have it tuned

NBM Z28

02 Z28 with MTI X1 230/227 and vig 3200 all boltons and i made 395rwhp. thats with stock heads.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post
    02 Z28 with MTI X1 230/227 and vig 3200 all boltons and i made 395rwhp. thats with stock heads.
    Damn those are good numbers.

what was the torque with that 395. was the converter locked.

That must be an older setup?? It was my understanding that MTI closed their doors about a year ago?? I was interested in one of their cams a few months back but found out they weren't around anymore.

I've seen some of their old dyno numbers with cams that idled baby butt smooth and made over 400 rwhp.

NBM Z28

Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    what was the torque with that 395. was the converter locked.
    my torque was low. it was like 355 or something. but i still had 2.73 gears too..

NBM Z28

That must be an older setup?? It was my understanding that MTI closed their doors about a year ago?? I was interested in one of their cams a few months back but found out they weren't around anymore.

I've seen some of their old dyno numbers with cams that idled baby butt smooth and made over 400 rwhp.

Yeah, my car was the very last car ever worked on at MTI. MTI was known for making big power, easily daily driven and not stuffing the largest cam in there.

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post
    Yeah, my car was the very last car ever worked on at MTI. MTI was known for making big power, easily daily driven and not stuffing the largest cam in there.
    That's cool. That's one of the reasons I was attracted to their packages. I liked the stock type or near stock idle making power.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I am well aware that there are sleeper cams out there. Im just saying that I dont know a lot of ppl who put a cam into a car for the sleeper effect. Majority of the ppl want others to hear the nasty sound of lopey cam through a set of LT's and out of a catback/duals. Putting a cam into a basically stock car just isnt my thing and will never be.
    i think that if your going to spend all the money and take all the time to cam your car why not make it sound nasty i mean i can appreciate a good sleeper every once and a while but i would want my car to have the really nice lope and sound that a good cam can produce

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    i think that if your going to spend all the money and take all the time to cam your car why not make it sound nasty i mean i can appreciate a good sleeper every once and a while but i would want my car to have the really nice lope and sound that a good cam can produce
    lope does not always = a good cam..that is why.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

true i have heard that there are cams for sound and ones for performance

NBM Z28

That's cool. That's one of the reasons I was attracted to their packages. I liked the stock type or near stock idle making power.

Yeah, MTI would also do big cubes and still put small cams in there. I remember reading MTI doing a 400+ CI with a small 230 duration cam.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

ok so im about to put on my Slp lid.. should i go to a full exhaust now or what?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information