---Ws6---01

cam/rocker combinations?

01 ws6. SLP lid/Maf-LT headers/y pipe,Cat back 3 1/2in. Rocker arms 1.8 Planning on getting a cam for this set up but dont know whether to replace rods, springs etc. How should i best combine a cam with what i have. (don't know much about cams)

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

get rid of the rockers arms, thats the first thing. you are limiting yourself big time with cams because of those rockers. sell them on here or ebay and use the money for a cam, thats what i did.
    as for cams, get a whole cam kit, everything you need for the swap is there. its also good to change out your timing chain for a ls2 chain.
    if you want a good midrange cam, get the 224/224
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

don't believe everything you read. you aren't limiting yourself on cam choices. i know that some places say don't use 1.8 rockers with their cams. something about ramp rates, yada, yada, yada.... so long as you have proper piston to valve clearance and the springs are up to the task, then get a cam that does what you are looking to do. there are plenty out there. by having larger ratio rockers, you don't need as big of a cam to get the job done. hell, there's thread out there where 408 motor with a 220/224 cam made over 450 rwhp on a mustang dyno. whereas most are using cams in the 230-240 range getting those numbers.

talk to the sponsors and tell them what you have and what you want to do.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

I know someone running a pretty large Comp cam with Crane 1.8 rockers and Comp 918 springs. Its all about the combination of parts, lightweight and correct setup. A lot of guys run into problems because they "bolt on the parts" with no forethought.

black

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    don't believe everything you read. you aren't limiting yourself on cam choices. i know that some places say don't use 1.8 rockers with their cams. something about ramp rates, yada, yada, yada.... so long as you have proper piston to valve clearance and the springs are up to the task, then get a cam that does what you are looking to do. there are plenty out there. by having larger ratio rockers, you don't need as big of a cam to get the job done. hell, there's thread out there where 408 motor with a 220/224 cam made over 450 rwhp on a mustang dyno. whereas most are using cams in the 230-240 range getting those numbers.

talk to the sponsors and tell them what you have and what you want to do.

talking to sponsors doesnt always work.
    2 years back i sent futral an email saying, i have 1.85 rocker arms, lt headers and a 3000rpm stall converter. i ask them what cam would go good with my combo and once again tell them i have 1.85 rocker arms.
    thier answer was the f10, a 228/228 589 lift.
    now if i would of listened to what they said, what would of happened??
    luckily i knew that above cam would of fucked my motor, to much lift with 1.85 rocker arms.

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

Another vote here to lose the rockers. Stock rockers are plenty strong enough for your application (I'm assuming you have a stock bottom end). If you want more lift you can get plenty with another cam without the use of those rockers.

And I've heard lot of LS1 people having problems with those rockers especially at high rpms.

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ---Ws6---01 View Post
    01 ws6. SLP lid/Maf-LT headers/y pipe,Cat back 3 1/2in. Rocker arms 1.8 Planning on getting a cam for this set up but dont know whether to replace rods, springs etc. How should i best combine a cam with what i have. (don't know much about cams)
    Also, I would go ahead and get hardened push rods. They're only about $110 and well worth it. Those are usually the first to go anyways. And springs, well, that depends on what size cam you decided to get..but you will probably end up replacing those too..

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    talking to sponsors doesnt always work.
    2 years back i sent futral an email saying, i have 1.85 rocker arms, lt headers and a 3000rpm stall converter. i ask them what cam would go good with my combo and once again tell them i have 1.85 rocker arms.
    thier answer was the f10, a 228/228 589 lift.
    now if i would of listened to what they said, what would of happened??
    luckily i knew that above cam would of fucked my motor, to much lift with 1.85 rocker arms.
    listening to internet people doesn't always work either. too many people listening to those sponsors telling them to get rid of the rockers because of ramp rates. i'll be keeping my vinci/crane 1.8 accelerated lift rockers to go with the cam i'll be getting soon.

but yes, .640 lift would have been a problem with stock pistons.

---Ws6---01
    sounds good enough but a 50/5o chance on those rockers. Thanks for all that info guys! Learning as i go.

black

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    listening to internet people doesn't always work either. too many people listening to those sponsors telling them to get rid of the rockers because of ramp rates. i'll be keeping my vinci/crane 1.8 accelerated lift rockers to go with the cam i'll be getting soon.

but yes, .640 lift would have been a problem with stock pistons.
    sponsors didnt tell me to get rid of them, just so you know. that was all on me.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by ---Ws6---01 View Post
    sounds good enough but a 50/5o chance on those rockers. Thanks for all that info guys! Learning as i go.

If you want to learn more about cams and valve train setup, there is a good article called "Be the Cam Expert" over on Popular Hotrodding's web site. Good read to get you started, and he covers cams, rockers, valve springs, etc. Hopefully that will help you sort out the things you are looking for from a cam and which parameters are more important for how you want your car to perform.

Good luck.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    sponsors didnt tell me to get rid of them, just so you know. that was all on me.
    good deal.

Thread Information