Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Which cam is right for me?

This is a discussion on Which cam is right for me? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm currently in the process of buying performance parts for my ws.6, with the intent of having them put on(professionaly) ...

  1. #1
    Bullet Boy Same ol Situation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    156
    2002 CETA m6

    Which cam is right for me?

    I'm currently in the process of buying performance parts for my ws.6, with the intent of having them put on(professionaly) all at once. I will be buying a cam, but i must admit that i dont know enough details to make that purchase by myself. If anybody could guide me in the right direction to a cam that makes good power but isnt ungodly loud i would be ever so grateful.

    P.S. this cam will be going on my car with qtp longtubes and a TSP true dual with moroso spiral flow mufflers.

  2. #2
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    If you don't know what you want, Il go out on a limb and suggest a 228 .590-.600" lift on a 112 lsa

  3. #3
    Bullet Boy Same ol Situation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    156
    2002 CETA m6

    What kind of a sound would that produce?

  4. #4
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    It would give you a good little pope, and have decent street manners with a tune

  5. #5
    used and abused at wot ibanez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Crystal Lake IL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,517

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

    you are leaving too many variables on the table...
    such as future plans mods/build.
    driving style and use?
    etc...

    if you want to go the easy route, I would suggest these two size cams

    224/224
    224/228

    both with a 114 or 116 lsa. dont go 112 lsa, 112 lumps rough at idle and screams race car

    http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm...ory=Valvetrain / Heads

    the SI-1, through 3 maybe 4 if you want more aggressive and its not a DD. I have the SI5 my car is a garage king.. only driven for racing, shows and fun

    if you go lower then 114 like a 112 or 110 then your car will idle more rough and sound more like a race car. 116 or 118 will keep your car fairly smooth.
    Last edited by ibanez7; 04-09-2011 at 03:02 PM.

  6. #6
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    112 lumps rough at idle and screams race car
    and its great... although not for everyone

  7. #7
    used and abused at wot ibanez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Crystal Lake IL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,517

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    and its great... although not for everyone
    agreed!!!!

  8. #8
    Bullet Boy Same ol Situation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    156
    2002 CETA m6

    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    you are leaving too many variables on the table...
    such as future plans mods/build.
    driving style and use?
    etc...

    if you want to go the easy route, I would suggest these two size cams

    224/224
    224/228

    both with a 114 or 116 lsa. dont go 112 lsa, 112 lumps rough at idle and screams race car

    http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm...ory=Valvetrain / Heads

    the SI-1, through 3 maybe 4 if you want more aggressive and its not a DD. I have the SI5 my car is a garage king.. only driven for racing, shows and fun

    if you go lower then 114 like a 112 or 110 then your car will idle more rough and sound more like a race car. 116 or 118 will keep your car fairly smooth.
    Well i just picked up another car for daily driving, so as of now my trans am is garage kept and not driven everday. I dont plan to put head on for sometime so just a cam only car, for now.

    My goal is just to have a cam that produces a good, choppy sound, but not to the point were the engine almost shuts off, and one that has good top end power throughout the rpms.

  9. #9
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Now my 238/242 112lsa was a bit much when I had my stock short block, but I still dd the goat 50 miles a day... had a 220/224 112 lsa before that and it was too small for my taste

  10. #10
    Member ls1wallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saint Peters, MO
    Posts
    251

    Black
    2001 Formula

    228R all the way! Frost told me its easy to tune and makes great power. At 112 lsa it will have the sound you want.

    This is my car

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeSuW8IiQXY[/ame]

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95Npx5gBT4[/ame]
    2001 Formula ported and polished throttle body, Lid, Longtube headers, texas speed true dual, cam is the texas speed 228r 228/228 588. lift 112 lsa, tuned by Frost

  11. #11
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Taking a video of a car in a small, enclosed garage is not going to produce the best sound quality or reproduce the sound as it would be out in the open. Just something to think about OP.

    Agreed with what everyone else is saying, you need to provide more information.

    You make it sound as if you are more worried about sound then performance, which is not the scope of why people get an aftermarket cam to begin with.

    You mentioned you just want a cam only car "for now". What is later? Anything?

  12. #12
    Bullet Boy Same ol Situation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    156
    2002 CETA m6

    LS1wallen, how loud is your car in real life? Sounded great in the video but sometimes its hard to tell how loud a car is from the sound distortion of the video camera.

  13. #13
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Also, I would suggest buying the following as well...
    - springs
    - oil pump
    - push rods
    - timing chain

  14. #14
    Bullet Boy Same ol Situation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    156
    2002 CETA m6

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Taking a video of a car in a small, enclosed garage is not going to produce the best sound quality or reproduce the sound as it would be out in the open. Just something to think about OP.

    Agreed with what everyone else is saying, you need to provide more information.

    You make it sound as if you are more worried about sound then performance, which is not the scope of why people get an aftermarket cam to begin with.

    You mentioned you just want a cam only car "for now". What is later? Anything?
    Yes...I would love to do both, but i just dont feel like dropping another grand on a set of heads, so maybe a few years down the road from now. As far as being more worried about sound then performance i would say im worried about both equally. I just really want the added performance of a cam with that good cammed ls1 sound.

  15. #15
    used and abused at wot ibanez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Crystal Lake IL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,517

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

    is your car an A4 or M6??

    also how often do you launch hard? or drag race on sticky tires?

    when would you maybe buy a rearend for the car?

    These three things will make a huge difference on what cam to get.

    if you have an A4, you want a cam that matches your stall. If you have an m6 get more open to what cams you buy, but you take a larger chance of nuking your 10 bolt rearend.

    Hence more HP, means new rearend sooner!

  16. #16
    Member ls1wallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saint Peters, MO
    Posts
    251

    Black
    2001 Formula

    That was taken on a cell phone so it doesnt really matter where i take it. It will still sound like crap. I dont have a video camara. I have the texas speed true duals with bullet mufflers. At idle it has a very deep choppy sound. At WOT its ear bleeding loud.

    Like others have said dont buy a cam for sound. Remmber a cam is the heart of your engine. If you plan on changing your cam other things must be built around it.

    I picked this cam because so many have it. Its a proven power maker.

  17. #17
    Bullet Boy Same ol Situation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    156
    2002 CETA m6

    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    is your car an A4 or M6??

    also how often do you launch hard? or drag race on sticky tires?

    when would you maybe buy a rearend for the car?

    These three things will make a huge difference on what cam to get.

    if you have an A4, you want a cam that matches your stall. If you have an m6 get more open to what cams you buy, but you take a larger chance of nuking your 10 bolt rearend.

    Hence more HP, means new rearend sooner!
    My car is an m6, and i would say i launch it from a dead stop about once a year....car is purely for the street.

  18. #18
    used and abused at wot ibanez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Crystal Lake IL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,517

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

    with that being said, i highly recommend the SI5 from speed inc.
    231/237 590/595 lift and 112 lsa

    it sounds mean, makes great HP and TQ.. Its alot of fun in an M6..

    just realize, being an m6 car, your already on borrowed time with the stock 10 bolt.

    if you want to be alittle more on the safe and tame side, go with a 228/228

  19. #19
    Bullet Boy Same ol Situation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    156
    2002 CETA m6

    ok...any input or feedback on the moser 9in??

  20. #20
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I have the Moser 9" TrueTrac with 4.11 gears and 31 spline axles. No issues and I shift my car hard. Rest of mods in sig.
    It's on jackstands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •