Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Cam Question

This is a discussion on Cam Question within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks for all the input. At least I have food for thought. Thanks for taking time to read my sig ...

  1. #21
    Member BLACKNIGHT03Z06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    49
    Posts
    169

    Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

    Thanks for all the input. At least I have food for thought. Thanks for taking time to read my sig nhraformula.
    02' Z06 EB/EB 4.6K miles, Longtubes, Off-road X, Pypes X-back, Blackwing CAI, Comp. Cam 238/240-.605/.609-112LSA, Comp. Beehive Springs, Comp. Titanium Retainers, Comp. Perf. Push Rods, Comp. Billet Double Roller Timing Chain, Hurst Short Throw, Cray 19"/20" w/ Toyo Proxes4 265/30/19's & 295/30/20's

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rochester Hills Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    look in the mans sig, he has headers.
    about 1500 for a cam kit, labor and tuning is avarage.
    you want to go faster, it costs money.
    you will feel a big difference in power.
    40 rwhp is alot for one mod.
    Okay First of all he wants to use stock springs. I would not go more the .550 lift on them. Second of all 40wrhp is not alot compared to what you can do with nitrous or a big cam and some springs. You may feel a big difference in power but for all the work and money is it worth it for a small cam
    402 C.I. Engine:Magic Stick V.4 Cam,LPA Custom Ported Polished Heads,Custom Ported and Polished Throttle Body,Spec 13 Lbs. Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch System,Pro 5.0 Tower, 4.10s

  3. #23
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by SDMForever View Post
    Okay First of all he wants to use stock springs. I would not go more the .550 lift on them. Second of all 40wrhp is not alot compared to what you can do with nitrous or a big cam and some springs. You may feel a big difference in power but for all the work and money is it worth it for a small cam
    if you would read the whole thread, he said,
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKNIGHT03Z06 View Post
    Makes perfect sense. Guess I'll do both. Will the stock clutch hold up using a 228/228 581/581 114 lsa cam?

    Thanks!
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  4. #24
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by SDMForever View Post
    Second of all 40wrhp is not alot compared to what you can do with nitrous or a big cam and some springs. You may feel a big difference in power but for all the work and money is it worth it for a small cam

    if you would once again pay attention to detail the man said,



    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKNIGHT03Z06 View Post
    03' Z06 with mods in sig. What cam could I go with without changing springs and rockers? Keeping it very street friendly is a must.

  5. #25
    Member BLACKNIGHT03Z06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    49
    Posts
    169

    Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

    I indeed did state after several informative posts that it makes sense to do springs and cam. How big can I go on the cam without making it impractical to drive daily or in inner city trafic? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BLACKNIGHT03Z06; 09-05-2006 at 02:57 PM. Reason: signature add

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rochester Hills Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    look in the mans sig, he has headers.
    about 1500 for a cam kit, labor and tuning is avarage.
    you want to go faster, it costs money.
    you will feel a big difference in power.
    40 rwhp is alot for one mod.
    I did see his sig and I still stand by what I said, You can do alot more then 40 horse power for 1500 dolars. Lets put n20 and other power adders aside even though they are a cheap way of making power, for the fact that they can be dangerous on a stock bottom end. Well what I would do and did do with my first ls1 was; I bought a MS3 cam, and a a spring kit with the retainers and all. I also bought some new pushrods as the stock ones bend really easily. After I bought some lifters. I bought some 317 truck heads. After all is said and done I paid 1000 dolars. I installed it all my self over a weekend. When I had it dynotuned I added 118 hp! If you do the work yourself and get some decent parts you can make good hp with a tune. As he says it does cost money to go faster. that build cost me 1400 dolars after I bought oil and coolant. That build was not hard at all, and anyone could do it if they take their time. So in my opinion 40 hp is not very good for 1500 dolars.



    P.S. I loved my MS3 cam It was great for street driving! and added quite abit of hp. They have a ms4 out and it in my stroker. I would not put that in something with out added cubes. The MS3 is awesome though.

  7. #27
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKNIGHT03Z06 View Post
    I indeed did state after several informative posts that it makes sense to do springs and cam. How big can I go on the cam without making it impractical to drive daily or in inner city trafic? Thanks in advance.
    personally i wouldnt go over anything past 230 for daily driving, but thats me.

  8. #28
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by SDMForever View Post
    I did see his sig and I still stand by what I said, You can do alot more then 40 horse power for 1500 dolars. Lets put n20 and other power adders aside even though they are a cheap way of making power, for the fact that they can be dangerous on a stock bottom end. Well what I would do and did do with my first ls1 was; I bought a MS3 cam, and a a spring kit with the retainers and all. I also bought some new pushrods as the stock ones bend really easily. After I bought some lifters. I bought some 317 truck heads. After all is said and done I paid 1000 dolars. I installed it all my self over a weekend. When I had it dynotuned I added 118 hp! If you do the work yourself and get some decent parts you can make good hp with a tune. As he says it does cost money to go faster. that build cost me 1400 dolars after I bought oil and coolant. That build was not hard at all, and anyone could do it if they take their time. So in my opinion 40 hp is not very good for 1500 dolars.



    P.S. I loved my MS3 cam It was great for street driving! and added quite abit of hp. They have a ms4 out and it in my stroker. I would not put that in something with out added cubes. The MS3 is awesome though.
    not all of us have the tools, time, place and know how to do a swap.
    1500 is a nice chunk of change, dont get me wrong, but it was the best 1500 i spent on modding.
    while N2O is cheaper at first, refills are a never ending bill.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rochester Hills Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    not all of us have the tools, time, place and know how to do a swap.
    1500 is a nice chunk of change, dont get me wrong, but it was the best 1500 i spent on modding.
    while N2O is cheaper at first, refills are a never ending bill.
    I agree! sorry I didnt see the second page at first. lol N20 is not sheap to refill and can be very volitale to your pistons,crank,rods and even block.

    I do have tools garage and some time. I dont expect you to attempt to do this yourseldf but check out this book and see if its worth trying. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=446
    IT was alot easier than I thought. I did this as my first ls1 mod other then intake and bolt on bs.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rochester Hills Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

    I just feel why not get the most for your money big cams act really well if you get a tune, they can be very street friendly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. speedometer question + top speed question
    By Krazy351w in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
  2. HPIII question (not the same old question)
    By slims00ls1z28 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
  3. 97 Bird Headlight question also engine noise question
    By Zapper2003 in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 04:03 AM
  4. Speedometer question, RPO question
    By acrylicophobia in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
  5. Sex Question spinoff- PORN QUESTION
    By egaian in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •