Results 1 to 14 of 14

cam question

This is a discussion on cam question within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; can a mostly stock ls1 handle this cam spec? 236/242 .580/.590 lsa 114 my bud has it still new in ...

  1. #1
    Member Pickle86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kanas city Mo
    Age
    31
    Posts
    151

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

    cam question

    can a mostly stock ls1 handle this cam spec? 236/242 .580/.590 lsa 114 my bud has it still new in box and was gonna buy it off him if it will be alright for my t/a. thanks guys.

  2. #2
    12 SECOND CLUB FASTEDDIE Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brick N.J.
    Posts
    51

    White
    1998 Z28 12.53@107.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle86 View Post
    can a mostly stock ls1 handle this cam spec? 236/242 .580/.590 lsa 114 my bud has it still new in box and was gonna buy it off him if it will be alright for my t/a. thanks guys.
    Sure , as long as you have the mods to support it. At least ,new valve springs and headers ( highly reccomended ) .If your an auto you will NEED a 3800rpm or higher stall converter to take advantage of it . Then youll need a good tuner .

  3. #3
    Member Pickle86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kanas city Mo
    Age
    31
    Posts
    151

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

    ya i plan on getting ory and headers soon. right now im running a 3000 stall so ill get a higher later on. i just got 3:73 gears installed so ill get a tune as well. he was just selling it for real cheap cause he sold his ta and got a gto so i wanted to take advantage of it haha. thanks

  4. #4
    Member Pickle86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kanas city Mo
    Age
    31
    Posts
    151

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE Z View Post
    Sure , as long as you have the mods to support it. At least ,new valve springs and headers ( highly reccomended ) .If your an auto you will NEED a 3800rpm or higher stall converter to take advantage of it . Then youll need a good tuner .
    oh i forgot to ask since i dont really know to much about cams. will this have a rough idle or is it like a medium idle? thanks for your time.

  5. #5
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    It'll have a lot of sound; it's a pretty good sized cam. The driveability will depend on the tune. Maybe look at some 1 7/8" headers like TSP's and a relatively free flowing exhaust or a cutout.

  6. #6
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    its not a (fresh copy) cam off Ebay from a guy in Texas is it? If it is, DO NOT get it....I ran one of his cams for less than a year and all the lobes had deep ruts wore into them. the cam is NOT hardened after the regrind

  7. #7
    Member Pickle86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kanas city Mo
    Age
    31
    Posts
    151

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

    not sure ill ask my buddy were he got it. thanks for the info

  8. #8
    Member Pickle86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kanas city Mo
    Age
    31
    Posts
    151

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    its not a (fresh copy) cam off Ebay from a guy in Texas is it? If it is, DO NOT get it....I ran one of his cams for less than a year and all the lobes had deep ruts wore into them. the cam is NOT hardened after the regrind
    yup he got it off ebay. i told him hell no i dont want it. so thanks for the heads up man.

  9. #9
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle86 View Post
    yup he got it off ebay. i told him hell no i dont want it. so thanks for the heads up man.
    If you like the specs on that cam look at the TrickFlow 238/242 .595/.595 112 lsa, that's the cam I went with and love it, but with milled heads you will have PTV clearance issues. (I'm running ported 241s milled .040" and stock size valves with a .51" head gasket).

    If not using milled heads or using small valve relefs you will be fine

  10. #10
    12 SECOND CLUB FASTEDDIE Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brick N.J.
    Posts
    51

    White
    1998 Z28 12.53@107.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle86 View Post
    oh i forgot to ask since i dont really know to much about cams. will this have a rough idle or is it like a medium idle? thanks for your time.
    It would have a rough , mean sounding idle with a 112 lsa . A 114 lsa will idle smoother .
    Last edited by FASTEDDIE Z; 02-21-2010 at 10:28 AM.

  11. #11
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE Z View Post
    It would have a rough , mean sounding idle with a 112 lsa . A 114 lsa will idle much smoother .
    It's fairly large, it's not going to be idling smoothly... It's not far from g5x3 and the 114LSA gets it in there without flycutting, even with [somewhat] milled heads.

  12. #12
    12 SECOND CLUB FASTEDDIE Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brick N.J.
    Posts
    51

    White
    1998 Z28 12.53@107.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It's fairly large, it's not going to be idling smoothly... It's not far from g5x3 and the 114LSA gets it in there without flycutting, even with [somewhat] milled heads.
    Fixxed I meant smoother than the same cam with a 112 lsa .

  13. #13
    Junior Member LSX01MUSTANG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Whitehall PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    40

    red
    01 Mustang w/Chevy 5.3L

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It's fairly large, it's not going to be idling smoothly... It's not far from g5x3 and the 114LSA gets it in there without flycutting, even with [somewhat] milled heads.
    So with a bone stock 5.3l I can run a g5x3, without fly cutting? I will probably stick with the stock rockers for now(short on $$), what lenght pushrods would you recommend? Sorry for the hijack.

  14. #14
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by LSX01MUSTANG View Post
    So with a bone stock 5.3l I can run a g5x3, without fly cutting? I will probably stick with the stock rockers for now(short on $$), what lenght pushrods would you recommend? Sorry for the hijack.
    I don't know about the 5.3, I was talking about an LS1.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. speedometer question + top speed question
    By Krazy351w in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
  2. HPIII question (not the same old question)
    By slims00ls1z28 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
  3. 97 Bird Headlight question also engine noise question
    By Zapper2003 in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 04:03 AM
  4. Speedometer question, RPO question
    By acrylicophobia in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
  5. Sex Question spinoff- PORN QUESTION
    By egaian in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •