cam or no cam

This is a discussion on cam or no cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just bought my dream car - a 99Z28 w/ 100K miles. And my friend just messed up his T/A. ...

Black
    99 Z28

cam or no cam

I just bought my dream car - a 99Z28 w/ 100K miles. And my friend just messed up his T/A. He is selling his car and is swapping out his performance parts for my stock parts for just a couple hundred bucks. (headers, Y-pipe, K&N CAI) This is all great, but there is the matter of his cam (a $400 for just $200). Its a good deal and all but I dont even know if I want it. I have an A4 with stock lifters, rockers, valves, pushrods. What all would I have to do to run his cam in my car? Some websites say you have to put a chip in it. Is a chip/reprogramer a MUST or is it just recomended. Some one wanna help me out? Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by HTX; 09-05-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

You need to find the cam specs before you proceed. You will need new springs which ones is dependant on the lift numbers of the new cam. You will also need a stronger timing chain, LS2 ones work well and are inexpensive or if you want a better one get a dual chain, You might as well change pushrods since stockers are junk and if you can get a new oil pump since some 98 and 99 seem to have had oil pump problems that ended in dead engines. So in short it wont be really cheap.

Here is the Breakdown:
    • Comp Cams "918" Stock-Diameter Replacement Springs $169.99 (for cams less than .600 lift) or Patriot Dual Springs and Ti retainers and locks ~$260 (for cams above .600 lift)
    • Rollmaster Double-Roller Adjustable Timing Set $114.99
    • Texas Speed & Performance Chromemoly Pushrods $109.99
    • TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump $139.99
    • 2 waterpump gaskets, 1 front engine seal, 1 front cover gasket, 1 Balancer bolt about $100 total
    • tools necesary if you don't have them

So, Is it worth it? it depends on the size of the cam.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

don't forget a tune shop to do a tune for you

Black
    99 Z28

Ok I just got the numbers off of him. Its actually really big. He promises a 100+ Hp gain with just the cam. he said one more thing I need to have is a torque converter because I have an a4. Is this true? Why would I need it?

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by HTX View Post
    Ok I just got the numbers off of him. Its actually really big. He promises a 100+ Hp gain with just the cam. he said one more thing I need to have is a torque converter because I have an a4. Is this true? Why would I need it?
    No cam will give you 100 hp! ask him for the cam card. you may need to swap out other valvetrain parts to us it if its rather aggressive. Most cams will give you a 40 hp gain depending on your cubes and other things.
    402 C.I. Engine:Magic Stick V.4 Cam,LPA Custom Ported Polished Heads,Custom Ported and Polished Throttle Body,Spec 13 Lbs. Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch System,Pro 5.0 Tower, 4.10s

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I have a big cam and didn't even see that much. Not even the T rex or MS4 has that crazy of a gain. Maybe in total with all the bolt ons you'll see 100 over stock

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

Even if it is anything close to as big as he says it is, you are going to have to upgrade the rest of your valvetrain.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You think you can get 100hp from a cam and you call me hopeless? lol

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

You won't need it, but you sure will love it. Get about a 3000 rpm stall, after you do all those mods, you will need some sticky tires, so look into investing into some wide rims and tires for the back, or you will spin so bad a damn minivan will take you out of the hole.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SDMForever View Post
    No cam will give you 100 hp! ask him for the cam card. you may need to swap out other valvetrain parts to us it if its rather aggressive. Most cams will give you a 40 hp gain depending on your cubes and other things.
    Actually, in my GM High Tech mag, they did just a cam swap in an 05 GTO (yeah I know, its an LS2) and they dynoed before and after and gained 90 RWHP just with the cam. So, it is possible for huge gains from just a cam.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    You think you can get 100hp from a cam and you call me hopeless? lol

Dude you are pathetic. You open up a 3 week old thread to get back at me for an argument in another thread? You act like a female. Just wont let shit go. I gave it up. So should you. Im going to give this one up too.

About his hp gain. I should have been more informative about what he told me. He told me with LS6 heads and his cam w/ HP tune will be 100hp. I just didnt say all that in the original post. I believe him too. All he has is cam, heads, full boltons, with a dyno tune. he tested 437 rwhp. Runs 11.4 w/ stock M6 drive train and suspension (yes he bent his chasis)
    However all of that is irrelevant now I decided not to go with his cam. My car is not ready for a cam. All I have is Borla and lid. A big ass cam would fuck up my car.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I did apreciate the help THREE WEEKS AGO
    Last edited by HTX; 09-29-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Thread Information