Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Cam, Lifter Combo

I pretty much have all the bolt on mods covered and have been playing around with thought of putting a cam in. I want to break the 400hp barrier but keep it driveable. I'm looking for something that doesn't affect gas mileage too much that I can use with my stock heads. I'm not looking to spends a ton of money. If I get a new cam I will need new lifters correct? If that is the case what would be a good combo of lifters and a cam?

I know nothing about this type of mod so any help is appreciated
    1998 Trans am Ws6, T56 : SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, Smooth Bellows, Granatelli air foil, LS6 Intake, SLP Harmonic Balancer pulley, QTP 1 3/4" headers and Y-pipe, LS7 Clutch & flywheel, Hurst Billet Pro shifter,Tick Master Cylinder, UMI LCA relocation kit, UMI LCA, UMI Panhard Bar, Tuned by Frost

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

You don't have to get new lifters but depending on your mileage I would. I would tell vengeance racing of your wants and they will be able to suggest some cams to you. You might want to look at upgrading your clutch depending on the cam you go with. In addition you are going to want to replace your valve springs with higher lift ones and you will want to replace your pushrods with chromoly ones as well. Since you have a 98 I would suggest replacing the oil pump and timing chain too since you will be down there anyways. I have a write up on how to do a cam swap here if interested: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/camshaft-swap-how-166914/
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

I have a new clutch getting installed now so thats not a problem. I was looking at the cam packages from Tick Performance, they seemed to have a good selection and would be able to address what I am looking for. With the upgrades to the oil pump and timing chain it was almost $1,000. Is that a normal price for this type of upgrade. What should I expect to pay someone to install this. Would I need a tune after it was installed?

Tick Performance Elite Series Camshaft Package for LS1 & LS6 Engines - Tick Performance
    Last edited by 98ramairguy; 03-09-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

BTW: I only have 71k miles on it would lifters or rocker arms be neccessary

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

$1000 seems about right when said and done for this kind of upgrade. That is if you are doing the install yourself or someone you know is doing it and not charging you for it. For a shop to do this the cost would be astronomical. I would say at least double. A tune would definitely be required after the cam install. You may be able to get a mail order tune until you can drive it to get a dynotune depending on how big the cam is. With 71k I would say you are fine I was fine at way more miles than that but replaced the lifters only because I was replacing the heads.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Also add about $500 for tuning.

As a fellow 98' owner I can not beg you or stress enough to spend the money on some better heads. You don't have to get CNC 2.5 but at least look for some 5.3 heads, used 241's or 243's. The 853 heads suck putting it politely. You'll need a tune anyways so why not just do it all at the same time.

Does that package include push rods & valve springs rated for the cam?

LS7 lifters are now the stock replacement for almost all LS motors.

Thread Information