Thread: cam instaltion

RED
    LUMINA SS 2003

cam instaltion

hello evrybody. thats my firt post. i dont have much information on cams until i bought my first car with a 5.7l ls1 engine. I have read few articles about cams and desided to buy one.since I need to use the car on daily driveand neededhp 390-400 Ihave chosen the f13-112 cam with the fm2- doul futural motorsports cam package upgrade-1, double adjustible time chain, 80mm thrutle body, k&n filter,ls6 modified oil pump and spec clutch stage 3 M6 and ls6 intake. I have just installed my cam, however, there is some sound is coming from the engine. the first problem i had that the oil pump at low rpm <1500 did not have oil pressure, however, at high rpm there was no problem. I thick that the pump has a defect so I replased it with ls6 6.0 oil pump. then the pressure was fine. but after running the engine for about 2 hr the car started to make some knocking noise. the mechanice said that the problem is from the valve lifters the upgrade package did not valve lifter so the stock ones were usede . My question, what could be the cause of the problem, is it the lifter, bad oil pump,bad cam or is there other things. By the way i have not tuned the car yet. hope somebody can help me on this since this is my first time doning it.
    Last edited by BLACKICE_SS; 04-06-2006 at 08:10 AM.

WAY SLOW Z
    I have read that like 6 times and it still makes no damn sense ..

I got that you had no oil psi replaced the pump and now have oil psi but it knocks ..

Mine have got a bearing .. change oil ..cut filter open look and see whats in there.

99 Firebird Formula

You should be able to use stock lifters for that cam.

You might not have had oil pressure at first because the o-ring on the pickup tube was installed incorrectly, or worn.

What kind of knocking noise? If he is suggesting lifters, is it more like a ticking sound? Did you replace the valvesprings when you changed the cam? If it's a ticking noise perhaps the rockers weren't torqued down right and have come loose, maybe the pushrods aren't long enough, etc etc or maybe a lifter did go bad.

RED
    LUMINA SS 2003

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    You should be able to use stock lifters for that cam.

You might not have had oil pressure at first because the o-ring on the pickup tube was installed incorrectly, or worn.

What kind of knocking noise? If he is suggesting lifters, is it more like a ticking sound? Did you replace the valvesprings when you changed the cam? If it's a ticking noise perhaps the rockers weren't torqued down right and have come loose, maybe the pushrods aren't long enough, etc etc or maybe a lifter did go bad.
    it is more like ticking noise. the mechanic is now working on it. hope can find somyhing soon.
    Last edited by BLACKICE_SS; 04-07-2006 at 12:25 PM.

99 Firebird Formula

Yeah ticking is the result of slack in the valvetrain. Bad lifter, bent pushrod, loose rocker, etc.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

what pushrods are you using? for the f13 on stock heads, you should be using a 7.425" minimun w/ 0 lash. That should give you the correct preload.

RED
    LUMINA SS 2003

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    what pushrods are you using? for the f13 on stock heads, you should be using a 7.425" minimun w/ 0 lash. That should give you the correct preload.
    the package up grade from fms has the hardened pushrods. on the box it mentioned 7.4000 inches
    Last edited by BLACKICE_SS; 04-08-2006 at 04:09 AM.

RED
    LUMINA SS 2003

the mechanic told me that the cam could be defected and it needs to be checked. could the cam be one of the bad manufactured ones. how can you check if the cam is not manufactured correctly. some people were talking about futural bad manufacture cams is that true.
    your information is realy appreciated
    Last edited by BLACKICE_SS; 04-08-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Thread Information