Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Cam install, finally got almost all the parts.

Well I researched for two months, finally called Thunder Racing, great people, we talked about my car,goals,tranny,gears,heads and they suggested the tr230/224 so I bought it along with the spring and pushrod kit, and cam install gasket kit. Went to gm dealer today and picked up extra spring retainers and a timing chain. I got speed inc spring tool. Northern tool had 5/16 steel rod cheap, so I picked up two. I have the next 3 days off and wanted to get started and all I see is rain!!! All I need yet is a oil pump! Sorry for such a long rant, Ive been waiting a while to do this. Any pre teardown suggestions?
    Last edited by Rob Mellinger; 04-06-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    LS6 intake,B&M short shift, Pacesetter ceramic lt, ory, umi subframe connectors, umi lca, slp lid, tr 230 cam, comp 918 springs,centerforce dual friction clutch, Frost tune.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mellinger View Post
    Well I researched for two months, finally called Thunder Racing, great people, we talked about my car,goals,tranny,gears,heads and they suggested the tr230/224 so I bought it along with the spring and pushrod kit, and cam install gasket kit. Went to gm dealer today and picked up extra spring retainers and a timing chain. I got speed inc spring tool. Northern tool had 5/16 steel rod cheap, so I picked up two. I have the next 3 days off and wanted to get started and all I see is rain!!! All I need yet is a oil pump! Sorry for such a long rant, Ive been waiting a while to do this. Any pre teardown suggestions?
    Sounds like your right on track with the extra valve locks and Speed Inc valvespring compressor. That tool is awesome. Out of curiosity, can you post a link to northern tools 5/16 steel rod? I would like to have that instead of wooden dowels, and the JRP tool is the biggest highway robbery Ive ever seen! 105 dollars, they have to be making 100 bucks on each sale.

What chain did you go with?

No real pre tear down stuff, just follow ls1howto.com's instructions and it should go smooth.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Sounds like your right on track with the extra valve locks and Speed Inc valvespring compressor. That tool is awesome. Out of curiosity, can you post a link to northern tools 5/16 steel rod? I would like to have that instead of wooden dowels, and the JRP tool is the biggest highway robbery Ive ever seen! 105 dollars, they have to be making 100 bucks on each sale.

What chain did you go with?

No real pre tear down stuff, just follow ls1howto.com's instructions and it should go smooth.
    Thanks Hi Po, I stumbled on a small rack of assorted rod in the store, I dont know if its even in the online catalog. Paid 3.50 a piece, after reading on here that it works fine I bought 2-3 foot pieces. I have a GM performance parts dealer about 2 miles from me, they suggested the stock 38 dollar chain. I already printed off the how to article.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Thanks Hi Po, I stumbled on a small rack of assorted rod in the store, I dont know if its even in the online catalog. Paid 3.50 a piece, after reading on here that it works fine I bought 2-3 foot pieces. I have a GM performance parts dealer about 2 miles from me, they suggested the stock 38 dollar chain. I already printed off the how to article.
    Too bad, Ill just keep my eyes open for the rod. I figured it was something like that.

Stock LS1 chain? I would stick a LS2 in there for sure. Ill get my picture of the two chains side by side here in a second. LS2 is definitely beefer. Sounds like your good to go! Are you doing this outside then? Either way, Have fun

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

I will be under my carport, but I have to run a cord from the house to run the air compressor. Rain will blow in on me.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I would probably wait if it was me.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Nice weather tomarrow then rain sunday, monday, and tuesday. I am going to try and get the springs done tomarrow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm a fan of that cam....nice choice. I know 2 local cars running that cam and both run strong.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

I couldnt find much info on it, TR seems to know their stuff, all the dyno sheets I could find on this cam looked good to me, plenty of torque down low.

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Too bad, Ill just keep my eyes open for the rod. I figured it was something like that.

Stock LS1 chain? I would stick a LS2 in there for sure. Ill get my picture of the two chains side by side here in a second. LS2 is definitely beefer. Sounds like your good to go! Are you doing this outside then? Either way, Have fun
    +1 get that pic up. i need a new chain

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

goodluck on the install and let us how well that cam is

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Will keep yall updated, going to start soon as it warms up a bit, 35 degrees right now.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Will keep yall updated, going to start soon as it warms up a bit, 35 degrees right now.
    Good luck with the install. Take pics of the tricky parts and post them up so I know what I am getting myself into next month

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Good luck with the install. Take pics of the tricky parts and post them up so I know what I am getting myself into next month
    Will do, hoping to get 6hrs today and maybe 4-5 tomarrow before the rain.

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

hope everything works out...bc i plan on doing about the same setup to my car in about a month or so. except for im going with the 224/224 112lsa and im also getting the spring and pushrod kit! my car is an 01 camaro ss so it has the better oil pump but should i go ahead and change it? and whats best far as timing chain, i would like to change it since ill have to pull it off anyways...ive heard something about ls2 timing chains having clearance issues with the oil pump!?!?!

Pewter
    1999 WS6

Nice weather tomarrow then rain sunday, monday, and tuesday. I am going to try and get the springs done tomarrow.
    Yeah, know how you feel. Had to do a spring swap on my truck last weekend, carport, blowing wind, rain. My only solution was this....but it worked....good luck! Also, had 2500 Watts worth of work lights set up, kept it a nice 78 degrees

Click for full size

2004 40th Anniversary Mustang GT (Wifes)
    1999 WS6 / LS1 Modified Engine
    2003 Quad 1500/4x4/5.7L Hemi/40 Series-P/T Fire & EMS POV

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter View Post
    Yeah, know how you feel. Had to do a spring swap on my truck last weekend, carport, blowing wind, rain. My only solution was this....but it worked....good luck! Also, had 2500 Watts worth of work lights set up, kept it a nice 78 degrees

Click for full size
    Nice set up, no big deal, I will get it finished up on tuesday my next day off. I got the cam, and chain on, front of motor on and water pump back on. I got the springs to do next. Its not my daily driver so I can take my time.http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Install went well, got everything done without any major problems. It runs and idles on a Frost bolt-on tune. It feels stronger on the top end, but no diffrent on the bottom? Does the computer have to learn the new cam or should I get a tune asap?

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Get her tuned!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by WhatUpWhatUp View Post
    +1 get that pic up. i need a new chain
    I searched my entire photobucket for that picture. Guess I never uploaded it, ill try to find it sometime if your really interested or you can search for it. There are many pictures out showing the difference.
    Install went well, got everything done without any major problems. It runs and idles on a Frost bolt-on tune. It feels stronger on the top end, but no diffrent on the bottom? Does the computer have to learn the new cam or should I get a tune asap?
    You need a tune for the new cam, you just changed alot of things going on and the computer will not be able to make up the difference. Try and find a reputable shop around you for a full tune.

Thread Information