Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Cam install, finally got almost all the parts.

This is a discussion on Cam install, finally got almost all the parts. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well I researched for two months, finally called Thunder Racing, great people, we talked about my car,goals,tranny,gears,heads and they suggested ...

  1. #1
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Cam install, finally got almost all the parts.

    Well I researched for two months, finally called Thunder Racing, great people, we talked about my car,goals,tranny,gears,heads and they suggested the tr230/224 so I bought it along with the spring and pushrod kit, and cam install gasket kit. Went to gm dealer today and picked up extra spring retainers and a timing chain. I got speed inc spring tool. Northern tool had 5/16 steel rod cheap, so I picked up two. I have the next 3 days off and wanted to get started and all I see is rain!!! All I need yet is a oil pump! Sorry for such a long rant, Ive been waiting a while to do this. Any pre teardown suggestions?
    Last edited by Rob Mellinger; 04-06-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    LS6 intake,B&M short shift, Pacesetter ceramic lt, ory, umi subframe connectors, umi lca, slp lid, tr 230 cam, comp 918 springs,centerforce dual friction clutch, Frost tune.

  2. #2
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mellinger View Post
    Well I researched for two months, finally called Thunder Racing, great people, we talked about my car,goals,tranny,gears,heads and they suggested the tr230/224 so I bought it along with the spring and pushrod kit, and cam install gasket kit. Went to gm dealer today and picked up extra spring retainers and a timing chain. I got speed inc spring tool. Northern tool had 5/16 steel rod cheap, so I picked up two. I have the next 3 days off and wanted to get started and all I see is rain!!! All I need yet is a oil pump! Sorry for such a long rant, Ive been waiting a while to do this. Any pre teardown suggestions?
    Sounds like your right on track with the extra valve locks and Speed Inc valvespring compressor. That tool is awesome. Out of curiosity, can you post a link to northern tools 5/16 steel rod? I would like to have that instead of wooden dowels, and the JRP tool is the biggest highway robbery Ive ever seen! 105 dollars, they have to be making 100 bucks on each sale.

    What chain did you go with?

    No real pre tear down stuff, just follow ls1howto.com's instructions and it should go smooth.

  3. #3
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Sounds like your right on track with the extra valve locks and Speed Inc valvespring compressor. That tool is awesome. Out of curiosity, can you post a link to northern tools 5/16 steel rod? I would like to have that instead of wooden dowels, and the JRP tool is the biggest highway robbery Ive ever seen! 105 dollars, they have to be making 100 bucks on each sale.

    What chain did you go with?

    No real pre tear down stuff, just follow ls1howto.com's instructions and it should go smooth.
    Thanks Hi Po, I stumbled on a small rack of assorted rod in the store, I dont know if its even in the online catalog. Paid 3.50 a piece, after reading on here that it works fine I bought 2-3 foot pieces. I have a GM performance parts dealer about 2 miles from me, they suggested the stock 38 dollar chain. I already printed off the how to article.

  4. #4
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mellinger View Post
    Thanks Hi Po, I stumbled on a small rack of assorted rod in the store, I dont know if its even in the online catalog. Paid 3.50 a piece, after reading on here that it works fine I bought 2-3 foot pieces. I have a GM performance parts dealer about 2 miles from me, they suggested the stock 38 dollar chain. I already printed off the how to article.
    Too bad, Ill just keep my eyes open for the rod. I figured it was something like that.

    Stock LS1 chain? I would stick a LS2 in there for sure. Ill get my picture of the two chains side by side here in a second. LS2 is definitely beefer. Sounds like your good to go! Are you doing this outside then? Either way, Have fun

  5. #5
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    I will be under my carport, but I have to run a cord from the house to run the air compressor. Rain will blow in on me.

  6. #6
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    I would probably wait if it was me.

  7. #7
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Nice weather tomarrow then rain sunday, monday, and tuesday. I am going to try and get the springs done tomarrow.

  8. #8
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    I'm a fan of that cam....nice choice. I know 2 local cars running that cam and both run strong.

  9. #9
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    I couldnt find much info on it, TR seems to know their stuff, all the dyno sheets I could find on this cam looked good to me, plenty of torque down low.

  10. #10
    NYSpeed.com WhatUpWhatUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NeW YorK
    Posts
    194

    Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Too bad, Ill just keep my eyes open for the rod. I figured it was something like that.

    Stock LS1 chain? I would stick a LS2 in there for sure. Ill get my picture of the two chains side by side here in a second. LS2 is definitely beefer. Sounds like your good to go! Are you doing this outside then? Either way, Have fun
    +1 get that pic up. i need a new chain

  11. #11
    NYSpeed.com WhatUpWhatUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NeW YorK
    Posts
    194

    Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

    goodluck on the install and let us how well that cam is

  12. #12
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Will keep yall updated, going to start soon as it warms up a bit, 35 degrees right now.

  13. #13
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mellinger View Post
    Will keep yall updated, going to start soon as it warms up a bit, 35 degrees right now.
    Good luck with the install. Take pics of the tricky parts and post them up so I know what I am getting myself into next month

  14. #14
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Good luck with the install. Take pics of the tricky parts and post them up so I know what I am getting myself into next month
    Will do, hoping to get 6hrs today and maybe 4-5 tomarrow before the rain.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Camden, South Carolina
    Age
    28
    Posts
    61

    Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

    hope everything works out...bc i plan on doing about the same setup to my car in about a month or so. except for im going with the 224/224 112lsa and im also getting the spring and pushrod kit! my car is an 01 camaro ss so it has the better oil pump but should i go ahead and change it? and whats best far as timing chain, i would like to change it since ill have to pull it off anyways...ive heard something about ls2 timing chains having clearance issues with the oil pump!?!?!

  16. #16
    Junior Member FireFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dawsonville, GA
    Posts
    2

    Pewter
    1999 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mellinger View Post
    Nice weather tomarrow then rain sunday, monday, and tuesday. I am going to try and get the springs done tomarrow.
    Yeah, know how you feel. Had to do a spring swap on my truck last weekend, carport, blowing wind, rain. My only solution was this....but it worked....good luck! Also, had 2500 Watts worth of work lights set up, kept it a nice 78 degrees

    Click for full size

    2004 40th Anniversary Mustang GT (Wifes)
    1999 WS6 / LS1 Modified Engine
    2003 Quad 1500/4x4/5.7L Hemi/40 Series-P/T Fire & EMS POV

  17. #17
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter View Post
    Yeah, know how you feel. Had to do a spring swap on my truck last weekend, carport, blowing wind, rain. My only solution was this....but it worked....good luck! Also, had 2500 Watts worth of work lights set up, kept it a nice 78 degrees

    Click for full size
    Nice set up, no big deal, I will get it finished up on tuesday my next day off. I got the cam, and chain on, front of motor on and water pump back on. I got the springs to do next. Its not my daily driver so I can take my time.http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif

  18. #18
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Install went well, got everything done without any major problems. It runs and idles on a Frost bolt-on tune. It feels stronger on the top end, but no diffrent on the bottom? Does the computer have to learn the new cam or should I get a tune asap?

  19. #19
    My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lee, Virginia
    Posts
    374

    Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

    Get her tuned!

  20. #20
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatUpWhatUp View Post
    +1 get that pic up. i need a new chain
    I searched my entire photobucket for that picture. Guess I never uploaded it, ill try to find it sometime if your really interested or you can search for it. There are many pictures out showing the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mellinger View Post
    Install went well, got everything done without any major problems. It runs and idles on a Frost bolt-on tune. It feels stronger on the top end, but no diffrent on the bottom? Does the computer have to learn the new cam or should I get a tune asap?
    You need a tune for the new cam, you just changed alot of things going on and the computer will not be able to make up the difference. Try and find a reputable shop around you for a full tune.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: suspension parts install
    By 98maro in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM
  2. what parts for clutch install
    By 94ss06gxp in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
  3. Planning out the Cam install parts.
    By Hi-Po in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM
  4. Top install pics! (Finally)
    By shawn84&92 in forum Convertible
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM
  5. Finally got pics of completed install
    By WinSomeLoseNone in forum Nitrous
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 10:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •