Thread: Cam Install

Black
    2000 / SS

Cam Install

ive been reading aroud the threads here about everything you should do while replacing the cam, what kind of price do you all think it would cost to get someone to do all the work? Im no where near capable of doing any of this work myself, so if I could get some price ranges Ill know how much to start savin back!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

generally speaking, you can have the cam kit, labor and tuning done for around 1200-1500
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I think that qoute is a bit high, but it is pretty close to what it is around here because of the tuning. Here it would be 600 for the labor and 500 for the tuning just to give you an idea.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboycntdnce View Post
    ive been reading aroud the threads here about everything you should do while replacing the cam, what kind of price do you all think it would cost to get someone to do all the work? Im no where near capable of doing any of this work myself, so if I could get some price ranges Ill know how much to start savin back!
    Don't let it scare you, I did mine and I've never done it before. I would also replace the oil pump for a high volume and put a new timming chain if you going to do a cam. The only thing I would pay for if I was you is parts and a tune.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    I think that qoute is a bit high, but it is pretty close to what it is around here because of the tuning. Here it would be 600 for the labor and 500 for the tuning just to give you an idea.
    juiced, the cam kit is included in my price

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    juiced, the cam kit is included in my price
    oh ok I didnt notice that man, im sorry, that is just about dead on for what it is here then as well.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 00ssSLP View Post
    Don't let it scare you, I did mine and I've never done it before. I would also replace the oil pump for a high volume and put a new timming chain if you going to do a cam. The only thing I would pay for if I was you is parts and a tune.
    +1.. now I am on my second swap. After you do the first one and you know where everything is and you learn a few little tricks then it gets very simple man. Only hard part is getting to somethings but once you learn where all the bolts are and everything you will be much better off if you are keeping your car. You have to think that a large cammed car is going to need more maintenance over time such as valve spring replacements and you really do not want to pay for that kind of labor everytime when you can do those things yourself in a day. Also look at the prices of just a tune up for our cars.. When you do the cam you will be able to also knock out a tune up at the same time or at least familiarize yourself with the engine. You always have LS1howto.com to guide you through the process and everyone on here will be more than happy to answer questions through the install. When I did my first one I went through it with Orion and we had our own thread to ask each other questions and get advise. You could do something similar..

Just pulled the CheaTR cam in favor for another. If your confidence is not there, don't even contemplate doing it yourself. Too many things can go wrong, and it will cost you dearly in the long run. I would recommend looking around for an experienced member (on all the boards, not just this one) close to your area who's willing to help you out. It's always good to watch it being done first, prior to attempting your first one all on your own....

You can have a professional install one, but be prepared to pay, and chances are... you won't be able to watch the entire process. In this hobby, it is more common for people to be changing their camshafts more than there spark plugs. To give you an example, the one in my sig is the third one in this engine, w/the same spark plugs as the first. Get an idea of how it is done by reading, and watching someone perform the swap. You'll be changing camshafts more frequently than you currently believe, and you'll save quite a bit of money when your able to do the second+ all on your own....

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboycntdnce

Run what you brung

Black
    2002 Transam

PM sent.

Thread Information