Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

Cam Idiot! Need tons of advice!

Hello, I am a complete idiot when it comes to cam's. I've been reading through the forums and felt it was time for me to get some specific advice. I have a 2002 Camaro SS, it's been sitting in the garage due to rising gas prices so I figuered it's time to install a cam while it's just sitting there doing nothing. I don't really have the space or time to do the work myself, my garage is more of a parking lot type deal and I'm a full time college student.

When I do use the car, I mostly use it to cruise around, not much of a daily driver or track fiend, but I would like to pick up around 50 RWHP (sounds reasonable?) after a tune, maybe more.

My current mods are as follows: Volant Cold Air Intake, SLP LM-1, SLP MAF, unknown ORY (lol), Pacesetter LT's.

I'm not sure about the type of grind / lift to go with for this application. I have read that custom is the best way to go, but the advice on what "custom" is varies. I am also unsure of the brand of springs to go with, I have read quite a bit and peoples opinion varies due to brand loyalty, etc.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

I have a Texas Racing custom grind Comp Cam 228/228 588/588 112 LSA. It is a streetable cam with a great powerband. It pulls real hard from 3000-6000 rpm's. If you install a bigger cam, be sure to upgrade your valve springs and pushrods. Texas racing sell them in kits that has all of this. It also has a very mean loppy sound at idle. If you don't like that sound, go with a bigger LSA.
    2010 Camaro
    2006 GTO, LS2, 1 of 475
    2009 Chevy Silverado

TURBO AWD....YESSSSSSSSSS 317Born's Avatar
    08 Mazda CX-7 2.3l Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by WS6ICK View Post
    I have a Texas Racing custom grind Comp Cam 228/228 588/588 112 LSA. It is a streetable cam with a great powerband. It pulls real hard from 3000-6000 rpm's. If you install a bigger cam, be sure to upgrade your valve springs and pushrods. Texas racing sell them in kits that has all of this. It also has a very mean loppy sound at idle. If you don't like that sound, go with a bigger LSA.

wut kind of power are you making....or wut are ur times at the track...and if i got a cam just like yours would i need to get a tune?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by WS6ICK View Post
    i thought longer duration and higher lsa gave you the choppy sound

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Hello, I am a complete idiot when it comes to cam's. I've been reading through the forums and felt it was time for me to get some specific advice. I have a 2002 Camaro SS, it's been sitting in the garage due to rising gas prices so I figuered it's time to install a cam while it's just sitting there doing nothing. I don't really have the space or time to do the work myself, my garage is more of a parking lot type deal and I'm a full time college student.

When I do use the car, I mostly use it to cruise around, not much of a daily driver or track fiend, but I would like to pick up around 50 RWHP (sounds reasonable?) after a tune, maybe more.

My current mods are as follows: Volant Cold Air Intake, SLP LM-1, SLP MAF, unknown ORY (lol), Pacesetter LT's.

I'm not sure about the type of grind / lift to go with for this application. I have read that custom is the best way to go, but the advice on what "custom" is varies. I am also unsure of the brand of springs to go with, I have read quite a bit and peoples opinion varies due to brand loyalty, etc.
    i'll help you out right now...get rid of that pos slp maf...stick the stocker back on.

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i'll help you out right now...get rid of that pos slp maf...stick the stocker back on.
    I don't have the stock one! It was on the car when I bought it hahaha.

WS6ICK, what kind of #'s are you making? I would like to achieve around ~400whp after all my mods

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    I don't have the stock one! It was on the car when I bought it hahaha.

WS6ICK, what kind of #'s are you making? I would like to achieve around ~400whp after all my mods
    400 rwhp is easily attainable ...especially with cam and heads..the problem that you will start to run into is the transfer of power/torque from the engine to the ground...your trans..if your auto more so then m6...rear end..and suspension

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Not sure but the stock cam has a 117 lsa.

98' trans am

116 but yea i know what your saying..you might be right...i am still learning alot about cams myself so i really dont know to much that is set in stone.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Just like Shady Milkman says, get rid of that MAF and put the stock one back on. The best I have ran is 11.5 @ 117 with 1.6 60' in Alabama. Now in Colorado where it is 6000 ft above sea level, I can only run 12.7 I plan to install a 125 shot of wet nitrous soon to help with the altitude issue. I don't have HP/TQ numbers yet, I want to install the NOS kit and then get it on a dyno.
    Last edited by WS6ICK; 07-23-2008 at 01:43 PM.

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

400 rwhp is easily attainable ...especially with cam and heads..the problem that you will start to run into is the transfer of power/torque from the engine to the ground...your trans..if your auto more so then m6...rear end..and suspension

I have SFC's but how can I really tell if something like a new rear was put into the car already? I bought the car from a dealer not an owner so it makes it more difficult to figure out what's in it. (The dealership wasn't very well learned on the car all together.) Visually the rear looks brand new, but is there some way that I can tell without getting the car on a lift if it's aftermarket ? I hear a lot about 10/12 bolt and 9" rear ends, how can I differentiate?

Red
    2000 SS Camaro

cam selection

Dont make your self go crazy call a cam grinder and give him your specs and your power goals and he can grind one to your cars specs then their is no ques work. ( cam motions) or Patrick G

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

No, the more Lobe Separation Angle(higher number) you have, the less choppy it will be.

Do this, Take both your pointer fingers and make an X with them.

The further away you move your finger nails is a HIGHER duration and results in a less choppy cam. Was that an ok explanation?

When you said duration.... I think you meant over lap.

Duration is the amount of time that a valve is opened.... measured in CRANKshaft rotation.

Red
    01 z28

Love my texas speed magic stick 3!
    sound clip

Silver
    98 Z28

GSXR,

I'm looking at getting the MS3 as well, what kinda numbers are you putting down?

Evan

Red
    01 z28

Not sure, hoping for around 400. Doin the dyno thing in a week or so.

Silver
    98 Z28

nice thats what i would think it would hit. Did you add a double roller timing chain? Or a LS2 Chain?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    No, the more Lobe Separation Angle(higher number) you have, the less choppy it will be.

Do this, Take both your pointer fingers and make an X with them.

The further away you move your finger nails is a HIGHER duration and results in a less choppy cam. Was that an ok explanation?

When you said duration.... I think you meant over lap.

Duration is the amount of time that a valve is opened.... measured in CRANKshaft rotation.
    oops i meant overlap

Red
    01 z28

it has ls2 chain, and 110 lsa

Silver
    98 Z28

sweet...thanks!

Thread Information