Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Cam help, daily driver

Later this week im going to order a camshaft kit from tsp or thunder racing. Im looking at the MS3 camshaft and was wondering do i need to get any special valve springs for it or special length pushrods? I was thinking about the MS4 but heard its not good for a daily driven car. Any input or help? Im not getting heads.

White
    1998 Trans Am

TSP sell kits with spings and the rods. Stay away from Thunder Racing or you'll never see your cam for months.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

lol ive heard... Im going to go with the ms3 cam with 110lsa, 7.40" standard length pushrods, the PRC platinum spring kit, LS6 oil pump, and the double roller timing chain. Does all that sound about right?

Black
    99 Silverado

Hope you have a good tuner... that 110 LSA will give a mediocre tuner fits... Automatic or 6 speed?

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

yes i heard and was reading more today and last night about the lsa's. Maybe ill go with 112lsa and a single roller chain also.. Is there any major differences between 110-112lsa. If its a big difference then im going with a 111lsa because i do like the big lopes. They will not bother me if it jerks me around a little, maybe the passanger though.. lol

Edit: And about the tuner, there is a pretty good tuner down here in my area that will set it up nice...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

@ MS3 on 112 for a daily driver.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

lol shut up luos ive read your posts from older threads about the magic sticks. Why dont you like them? any particular reason?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    lol shut up luos ive read your posts from older threads about the magic sticks. Why dont you like them? any particular reason?
    It isn't that I don't like them.

It is that people seem to think they are DD'able cams. Or they are used by people looking for a high HP number on the dyno.
    While they will give the high HP number....in order to perform well it needs other stuff behind it.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

well thats what im trying to figure out, no one really says much they just put a laughing smiley and thats it. I know it needs to have other stuff behind it but i dont have 15k sitting in my lap ya know? Im just trying to build a nice, decently fast car slowly.

Red
    2002 SS Camaro

I put a v2 in my daily driver for Texas speed and i LOVE IT gained about 50 hp to the rear it runs great around town no problems, you do need better valve springs and rods but if u do a cam u should do those any ways. But if you wand a DD cam i cant say enough good things about the v2 its GREAT!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The ms3 is all top end. If you want a good daily driver something like the tsp 228 on a 114 is good. Plenty of smaller cams that have made some really nice numbers and will have more of a power band all across the chart. A buddy of mine has an ms-4 with ls-6 heads and a fast with 4.10's. He beat me of course by a ton but at the very start there was like a second and a half we were neck and neck. He also hates it and wish he stuck with his 224 and just put the heads on.
    The 222/226 115 eps (or esp I forget) made some nice numbers as well if you search for it on tech.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ok thanks i will look into that. What about this 233/239 cam from TSP? Specs are 233/239 .595"/.603"

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

ok thanks i will look into that. What about this 233/239 cam from TSP? Specs are 233/239 .595"/.603"
    Isn't that the TorquerV2?

I like those cams.
    Although for a daily driver...I still like the 228R

NBM
    1998Z28

You never did say are you a A4 or a six speed? Alot of cams that are daily driven in a stalled A4 car would be a total pain in the ass in a M6. The MS4 can hold its own in the midrange if you have the compression to make it work. Some people I know are running them 4 degrees advanced to match the intake runners better and they don't have to turn high rpms to hit the power band.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Isn't that the TorquerV2?

I like those cams.
    Although for a daily driver...I still like the 228R
    No the V2 is a different cam, it is a hair smaller. The name for it on the site is "233/239 camshaft". I am actually thinking about this one over the ms3 now.

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    You never did say are you a A4 or a six speed? Alot of cams that are daily driven in a stalled A4 car would be a total pain in the ass in a M6. The MS4 can hold its own in the midrange if you have the compression to make it work. Some people I know are running them 4 degrees advanced to match the intake runners better and they don't have to turn high rpms to hit the power band.
    Sorry about that its an m6. The car has 122xxx miles, bolt ons, minor suspension work, level 4 monster clutch.
    Last edited by Lunatikgixxer; 09-28-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Black
    99 Silverado

For a daily driver, I would go with the Torquer V2 - that or the 228R on a 112... The magic stick is a bit much for a daily driver...

I've tuned hundreds of these cars, and more times than not, when people go with a big cam in a street car, they are disappointed... the reason is because the car actually feels slower because the torque is lower and the torque and power under the curve is less than a smaller cam. The smaller cams make more under the curve in the RPM range that is generally used on the street. Think about it - how much time do you really spend above 5k RPM...
    Last edited by LSXZ28; 09-28-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LSXZ28 View Post
    For a daily driver, I would go with the Torquer V2 - that or the 228R on a 112... The magic stick is a bit much for a daily driver...

I've tuned hundreds of these cars, and more times than not, when people go with a big cam in a street car, they are disappointed... the reason is because the car actually feels slower because the torque is lower and the torque and power under the curve is less than a smaller cam. The smaller cams make more under the curve in the RPM range that is generally used on the street. Think about it - how much time do you really spend above 5k RPM...
    yes i see, but if im ever going fast i will be at 5k or above... What about the 233/239 cam?

Black
    99 Silverado

yes i see, but if im ever going fast i will be at 5k or above... What about the 233/239 cam?
    Better than the Magic Stick... If you have a good tuner and know ahead of time that you aren't going to have a ton of bottom-end, it will be alright for you.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

yep i have a pretty good tuner down here that deals with the lsx motors.. I went ahead and ordered the 233/239 camshaft

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

let us know how it is! dont forget videos !

Thread Information