Thread: Cam Help

YELLOW
    04 GTO

Cam Help

I Just Installed A Comp .232 .234/ .595 .598 112lsa Cam In My 04 Gto,i Have Had A Comp .212 .218/ .522 .529 114lsa Cam And It Ran Great, But After Replacing Cams The Car Almost Dies Right After Start Up,then A Few Seconds Later It Cathes Up And Will Idle Fine,and Same Thing Happens After Reving The Engine Any Ideas On What Is Going On?

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

That is a considerably larger cam than what you had before, so you need either a tune (to set your idle) or you need to drill a hole in the TB to let more air in during idle. I can't remmember if there is one already in there and you just need to enlarge it. But if you are able to do the tune that will fix your problem and while tuning they should be able to sqeeze a couple more ponies out of your cam. I have a similar cam waiting to into my car but as of today I have now first hand knowledge. Is your car auto or 6 speed?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you need tunning
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

does the 04 GTO have the throttle by wire like the corvettes? can't remember. if so, you'll either need to drill the hole larger and/or have more tuning done to increase the idle rpm and adjust the throttle kicker.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Don't drill your TB. Get a tune.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BeachZ
    Don't drill your TB. Get a tune.
    I've always heard either the option of drilling the TB or a tune, what is the reason not to?

YELLOW
    04 GTO

It Is A M6 And I Do Have A Tune With The Diablo Tuner

Black
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 00SLPSS
    I've always heard either the option of drilling the TB or a tune, what is the reason not to?
    I guess it's a matter of preference. Here's a thread about it.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ht=drilling+tb

MrWillys
    What you've done is installed a cam where the intake and exhaust are open at the sametime for a greater amount of time. While this allows the motor to rev higher, and the tighter LSA creates more power in a shorter range. It's caused a loss of vacuum at idle, and fuel must be removed from the fuel maps in this rpm and vacuum range. It's my experience from tuning motors that you'll also have to increase the fuel in the midrange to accomodate this new found power. I'd buy LS1edit and make these changes myself.

Thread Information