Results 1 to 18 of 18

Cam and Heads for a DD???

This is a discussion on Cam and Heads for a DD??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Im New here at ls1.com and also new to the f-body also. its my first muscle car paid for by ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member 11cAirborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City / Fort Bragg
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Cam and Heads for a DD???

    Im New here at ls1.com and also new to the f-body also. its my first muscle car paid for by a deployment in ramadi iraq. im looking for some mods to get me around 400-430hp and simmilar torque. As of now my ws6 is bone stock with the exeption of slp lid,

  2. #2
    Member EnjoiJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Weymouth MA.
    Posts
    339
    01 modded gtp

    Congrats on the new car man.

  3. #3
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Welcome back we appreciate your service.

    Now how much money do you have? Headers, and some sort of lid will get you around 350rwhp. A 224 cam is a good all around cam that will swing you about 380rwhp. A 224, 228 from texas speed with some worked heads will get you over that 400whp mark your shooting for.

  4. #4
    Junior Member 11cAirborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City / Fort Bragg
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    well ive got about five thousand im willing to spend for parts and installation is not a problem, some mechanics i know owe me some favors and already committed to helping me at their shops when i get the parts i want.

  5. #5
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Some head flow data
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ng-thread.html
    cam only thread
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamo...no-thread.html

    Don't forget timing chain, cover, oil pump(depends on miles), springs, pushrods, lifters, lifter trays, header gaskets, head gaskets. You may also want to go poly mount all around while you have the exhaust out.

  6. #6
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    and whats the most lift you can run on the stock springs...

  7. #7
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    and whats the most lift you can run on the stock springs...
    Was that a question or a statement?

    Stock springs can barely handle stock lift. There is no after market cam that will 'work' with the stock springs. I dont get it, why are so many not wanting to change springs? Its very cheap insurance and is relatively easy to install.

  8. #8
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Was that a question or a statement?

    Stock springs can barely handle stock lift. There is no after market cam that will 'work' with the stock springs. I dont get it, why are so many not wanting to change springs? Its very cheap insurance and is relatively easy to install.
    was just a question--- been building SBC's for years, and even though nobody reccomends it, i've been running .480" lift on stock springs with no problems at all. i was just wondering if there was a max lift i could go to, or if the stock ones were indeed maxed right out.

  9. #9
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    was just a question--- been building SBC's for years, and even though nobody reccomends it, i've been running .480" lift on stock springs with no problems at all. i was just wondering if there was a max lift i could go to, or if the stock ones were indeed maxed right out.
    Yes, you need to new springs. You can get a beehive spring rated at *I Think* .620" lift. .480" is not much at all when dealing with these motors, I think stock cam lift is higher then that even.

  10. #10
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    im running a comp 224/.581/112 lsa and patriot stage II (59cc) heads and supporting mods, putting down almost 460/410 to the ground. no need to go 'top shelf' when getting parts. build your car so that everything compliments each other and not compensating for them...

    also, dont know if your car is an A4 or M6, so consider a stall if you have an A4.

    have fun with your build...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

  11. #11
    Bawlz Deep andrew rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    29
    Posts
    786

    gold
    2000 honder accord

    budget a new rear end if you plan on having any kind of decent tire on the back too...

  12. #12
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Yes, you need to new springs. You can get a beehive spring rated at *I Think* .620" lift. .480" is not much at all when dealing with these motors, I think stock cam lift is higher then that even.
    okay--- just trying to learn what i can here... it sure sounds like .480" is nothing on an lsx... but on an SBC it's a nice step up over stock. hell even the vic jr heads for an SBC max out at .650, and they are very high zoot heads for an SBC

  13. #13
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    im running dual springs @ .650 lift. have the same setup on my stock heads since i ran those with my 224 cam prior to buying the patriot heads (which came with dual springs).

  14. #14
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    im running a comp 224/.581/112 lsa and patriot stage II (59cc) heads and supporting mods, putting down almost 460/410 to the ground. no need to go 'top shelf' when getting parts. build your car so that everything compliments each other and not compensating for them...

    also, dont know if your car is an A4 or M6, so consider a stall if you have an A4.

    have fun with your build...
    Whats your car run in the 1/4?

  15. #15
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Just to dig a little deaper into the whole stock valve spring deal that constantly gets brought up around here... Say your using the Yellow spring. Good spring over stock early LS1. But the ramp rates of almost any manufactors camshafts are going to be drastically different. This is where seat pressure comes into play, and also where your not going to have enough. Its not just lift you need to worry about. You could shim the spring to increase seat pressure, but it comes down to.... why chance it
    ? Springs are relativly cheap compared to a new motor.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

    Build in progress...

  16. #16
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Just to dig a little deaper into the whole stock valve spring deal that constantly gets brought up around here... Say your using the Yellow spring. Good spring over stock early LS1. But the ramp rates of almost any manufactors camshafts are going to be drastically different. This is where seat pressure comes into play, and also where your not going to have enough. Its not just lift you need to worry about. You could shim the spring to increase seat pressure, but it comes down to.... why chance it
    ? Springs are relativly cheap compared to a new motor.
    so can the stock springs can handle the lift but the seat pressure is way too low?

  17. #17
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Whats your car run in the 1/4?
    current setup, dont know.

    when i was 409/386, (pre FAST 90/90, EWP, 42# injectors, U/D pulley, and TD's) it went 12.6x @ 114

  18. #18
    Awaiting Activation lovedrvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    west kentucky
    Age
    52
    Posts
    92

    white
    1999 z28

    just get the deluxe,or standard kit here
    http://www.tick-performance.com/cata...dy/valvetrain/
    add some bbk headers
    http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...h-headers.html
    get a tune and you will be over 400 rwhp and under $1500 if ya do it yourself

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM
  3. AFR heads VS. Ported and beefed up stock heads.
    By hutcher04 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 09:27 AM
  4. New Heads or Port/Polish Stock Heads?
    By Black02LS1 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •