cam and head setup

This is a discussion on cam and head setup within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey guys i was thinking on puting a ls6 hot cam and ls6 heads and intake on my 02 ls1 ...

black
    2002 camaro

cam and head setup

hey guys i was thinking on puting a ls6 hot cam and ls6 heads and intake on my 02 ls1 good idea or bad any better thoughts...here is some part number and prices
    1248003: hot cam kit ls6 219/228 525 112lsa 477.97
    12564824:ls6 heads complete 1153.90 each
    88958689: lifter package 256.94

not too sure on anything just yet but this was a thought and these are discounted prices at gm.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyblankenship View Post
    hey guys i was thinking on puting a ls6 hot cam and ls6 heads and intake on my 02 ls1 good idea or bad any better thoughts...here is some part number and prices
    1248003: hot cam kit ls6 219/228 525 112lsa 477.97
    12564824:ls6 heads complete 1153.90 each
    88958689: lifter package 256.94

not too sure on anything just yet but this was a thought and these are discounted prices at gm.
    Your car is a 2002. Unless a previous owner removed your intake; you should already have the LS6 intake on your car. Congratulations.

Do you have to pass emissions? I don't see the hotcam worth the time and money to replace the camshaft when there are many other options out. That's just my opinion and many people may disagree. Although, you didn't state any goals for the car either. That cam may be exactly what your looking for.

Don't buy the LS6 heads new is they are just stock replacements with no port work done. 1150 for LS6 stock heads is a crazy price. Buy them used for 350-400.

Not knowing the part number and not looking it up, LS7 lifters will do fine for what your reaching for.

black
    2002 camaro

thanks man. im online looking at used heads right now thanks. will the ls7 lifters fit im still learning everthing. and no i dont have to pass any emission laws thank god.. I really just want to try and reach something like 450hp to the tire or really just perform alot better than stock.. about what size throttle bottle should i run and will i need to update my injectors or will a booster be okay. thanks

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

That cam won't get you close that. You need to look more towards a one with larger than 224 duration and atleast .600 lift to get 450. Lot of good heads if your staying NA I'd bump the compression ratio a bit too.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Yes ls7 lifters fit just the newest design of the same lifter.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyblankenship View Post
    thanks man. im online looking at used heads right now thanks. will the ls7 lifters fit im still learning everthing. and no i dont have to pass any emission laws thank god.. I really just want to try and reach something like 450hp to the tire or really just perform alot better than stock.. about what size throttle bottle should i run and will i need to update my injectors or will a booster be okay. thanks
    Yes, LS7 lifters are the stock replacement LS1 lifters.

450 to the tire is going to require a decent head and a medium sized camshaft. AFR, TFS, PRC, or Mast heads will cover that issue. Get someone to spec you a camshaft that knows what they are doing. Pat G is one to look at, he has a PDF form you fill out that is very detailed.

Throttle body will depend on what intake your running. I run a 92mm PTM with the FAST 92mm. Coupled with a Lingenfelter 5.3 head and a 230/236 cam it was good for 119 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Dyno numbers are nothing but a tuning tool, pick a MPH/ET you want to run and go from there.

Injectors will probably need to be replaced. My duty cycle was in the high 90's after the cam swap. I went with 42 lb'ers, like many others.

Black
    99 Trans am

I talk to some guys at Texas speed, getting 450 HP with a cam head setup from one of their deals should be easy and it will only cost you around 1800, google them friendly to talk to

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Yes, LS7 lifters are the stock replacement LS1 lifters.

450 to the tire is going to require a decent head and a medium sized camshaft. AFR, TFS, PRC, or Mast heads will cover that issue. Get someone to spec you a camshaft that knows what they are doing. Pat G is one to look at, he has a PDF form you fill out that is very detailed.

Throttle body will depend on what intake your running. I run a 92mm PTM with the FAST 92mm. Coupled with a Lingenfelter 5.3 head and a 230/236 cam it was good for 119 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Dyno numbers are nothing but a tuning tool, pick a MPH/ET you want to run and go from there.

Injectors will probably need to be replaced. My duty cycle was in the high 90's after the cam swap. I went with 42 lb'ers, like many others.
    I concur.......for the prices you have listed there you can end up with a much better set up. Shop around and call some places to get a package put together. That LS6 cam is a lot of work for very little gain.

Red
    99 Z28

Whats your budget? TSP or Vengeance Racing have some great kits available for resonable prices to get you where you want.

Thread Information