Black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

Question Cam and Head combo?

I recieved my cam about a week ago, its a Patriot Performance the specs are
    226/226 lobe lift is .3476 at intake and .3430 at exhaust, lobe separation is is 112. I am new to cam and heads and am looking for the heads that would create the most power with this cam. Would like to get some where i the neighborhood of 450rwhp eventually. As of now i have a stock 99 Z28 well, it has a flowmaster muffler, but nothing else. I have read of others getting 450rwhp from a head and cam swap so I was wondering what it would take to get close to those results. What head specs should I look for? I was also wondering what the difference was between Patriot Performance stage I II and III heads were? Thanks for all the help

it all depends on what you want......are you going to stroke this motor or leave the cubes stock? are you going to use it for strip or street or both. Is this a daily driver or a weekend car? Is money a factor or do you strictly want performance? If you have stock cubes, want the best heads and want to use it for both street/strip I would buy the AFR 205's.....they are generally considered the best, however the cost quite a bit more than the Patriot heads.....fwiw. I would say ask the cam manufacturer what they would recommend for heads, but being that you got them from Patriot I would bet that they say to get some PP heads. So it is all a matter of opinion, goals, and money......Plus you will need a new rear end and upgraded tranny or clutch.....fwiw.

Rhino21149
    I don't think this cam will give 450 RWHP to you. You probably need something about 20 degrees more duration.

We run a 252/255/113 with .675 lift cam in our forged 408 and it delivers right at 500 on fuel. When we had the stock block we had a 232/228 with heads and it gave about 425.

Black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

what kind of hp do you think i can expect from my 226/226 cam and a good set of heads?

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z28'99
    what kind of hp do you think i can expect from my 226/226 cam and a good set of heads?
    About 400-415 RWHP

Black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

I think for now I can live with that, I think I see nitrous in my future as well so 415rwhp is pretty good thanks

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by 3Z28'99
    420 tops with all the bolt ons
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2004 Z06

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

eddie, you've posted that in like a dozen threads......?

-Will

mystic teal
    2001 Z28 Hardtop

To get into that rwhp range you need to start planning the whole package that starts with all the bolt-on power-adders in addition to your cam and head package. You're gonna need long tube headers, something to address the intake air charge like a aftermarket lid, an underdrive crankshaft pulley and probably have to ditch your cats in favor of a nice off-road Y pipe. Seeing that you have a 99' Z you'll want to upgrade your intake to at least a 01'/02'/Z06 manifold too. O.K., back to your orignal question about head spec's, basically you want the heads to fit the cam or vice-versa. Cam lift to head flow range. I'm not familiar with Patriots "current" head offerings but they would be a good place to start for a set of heads to complement "their" cam. Give Patriot a call, tell them that you have one of their camshafts and want a set of heads that will maximize this camshaft. Another thought I just had is you may want to stick the cam (along with springs and pushrods designed to handle the cams characteristics, lifters and rockers probably need to be looked at too)in now and wait for this next batch of "NEW" LS series heads to come out by new players in the market, looks like they'll be priced right!

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by TARZAN
    eddie, you've posted that in like a dozen threads......?

-Will
    Well it looks to me that a lot of people here want to stick the biggest and baddest cam in their car without knowing that their is a science to this.

I would rather tell them where to explore for all that is involved for the best expererience in increasing aspiration.

I mean look around .. you hear more about is bad experiences than good.

And I really get pissed at hot rod heads here trying to get guys who don't know what is optimal, to blow up their LS1's like they did to thiers for nothing more than revenge for their own stupidity & ineptness because they knew nothing in the first place when they did theirs because another hot rod head told them too.

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Just curious....BTW, the link to the motorbookstore doesn't work...

-Will

Black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for the info guys, I have looked into the air in air out aspect of the head and cam swap, Ill probably go with high flow cats, a new y-pipe an electric cut out, new muffler, and so on, I am looking into a new cam and had combo, a more agressive cam (hopefully daily driver friendly) any ways it boasts 445rwhp on a mustang dyno so well see how that whole set up works

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the 226/226 cam will not yeild you 450 with heads to the wheels. you need a 230+ duration cam along with a good set of stage 2 or 2.5 heads, along with all the supporting boltons and an aggressive tune. while you wont reach 450 with heads and that cam, your low-midrange power will benefit from the combo. if your not a track only car then stick with smaller duration cams...then again its all about preference. I have the f10 cam in my car (228/228 114) and im going with the f13 now (230/232 114) i feel getting a bit more up top wont hurt and with the ls6 heads going on at the same time, my lowend torque should bump up a bit as well. Once the 12bolt w/4.11's goes in, then ill have enough acceleration to make up for the lowend loss, however minimal it may be.

Thread Information