Onyx Black
    2001 SS

Cam guru's come in please

Over the winter im going to do a cam, I want great overall power and torque I will be using stock heads, pacesetter LT's, ORY, TSP Rumbler, lid, ported TB, 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a 150 wet shot here is the cam I was thinking about

Texas Speed 228R Camshaft
    LS6 oil pump
    Comp 918s
    LS2 timing chain
    Cam gasket kit

Is there anything im missing here? Also are there any other cams you guys would recommend, I dont want to flycut at all, I want a good power band not peak power and a nice lope, let me know what you guys think thanks. Car is an 01 SS M6

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Make sure you get it tuned as well once your done installing. Can't stress it enough for additional power.

Onyx Black
    2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    Make sure you get it tuned as well once your done installing. Can't stress it enough for additional power.
    Friend will tune on dyno with HP tuners

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm running that same cam with 5.3L stage 2.5 heads. I've been pretty happy with it. Makes good power. I'm still in the process of tuning it but it's pretty close right now. I got mine on a 114 LSA a 112 would lope harder. Here's a short vid of mine through the exhaust and then with the cutout open.

Onyx Black
    2001 SS

Orion thanks for the video!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by RS_SS69 View Post
    Over the winter im going to do a cam, I want great overall power and torque I will be using stock heads, pacesetter LT's, ORY, TSP Rumbler, lid, ported TB, 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a 150 wet shot here is the cam I was thinking about

Texas Speed 228R Camshaft
    LS6 oil pump
    Comp 918s
    LS2 timing chain
    Cam gasket kit

Is there anything im missing here? Also are there any other cams you guys would recommend, I dont want to flycut at all, I want a good power band not peak power and a nice lope, let me know what you guys think thanks. Car is an 01 SS M6
    Dont forget the hardened pushrods.......that is the cam I plan on going with.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Dont know if dual springs will fit without machine work, but if they do, use them.
    Avoid single springs if at all possible. Never liked em, wont use em, try to talk people out of using em, and now comp is recalling a shit load of them.
    They are a disaster waiting to happen. A flawed design from the word go. If a single spring breaks, chances are it will take out your whole motor. If a dual breaks, you still have a second spring that will at least save your motor.
    They have had catastrophic failures in alot of engines.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

i got the prc dual springs with my 5.3 stage 2.5's. technically more spring than I need but I like them for the exact reason you mention

Quote Originally Posted by RS_SS69
    Over the winter im going to do a cam, I want great overall power and torque I will be using stock heads, pacesetter LT's, ORY, TSP Rumbler, lid, ported TB, 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a 150 wet shot here is the cam I was thinking about...
    I wouldn't bother with the 228R if you do not plan on any cylinder head work being done. Yes, you can get the engine w/228R running superbly with custom tuning, but to maximize the 228R, you need better DCR/SCR, and to maximize power with the stock cylinder heads, you need a cam custom tailored for them....

Thread Information