Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Cam choice for 02 Camaro SS

Ok, I finally decided to do a cam swap on my 2002 Camaro SS. I have only 33,000 nice miles on this car. While it has some bolt on mods and it has ran 12.78 @ 107 at E-Town I am looking for more performance without going too crazy. I figure I have about 345 rwhp but that is just a guess given the times I have ran and the mods I have. I have been looking at Comp Cams, Lunati and Texas Speed and I am dizzy over the choices. My current OEM specs are 197/207 @ .050 and .467/.479 lift with 116 seperation. I want to gain about 30 rwhp or so but I do not want to go too crazy. I figure something in the 224/224 @ .050 with a .565 lift with 114 LSA will meet my needs to keep the car drivable and reliable, so I figure with all the members of LS1.com who have already swapped cams I would like your opinion. What cam would you guys recommend ? I plan on replacing the oil pump even though it produces almost 80 psi cold and 45 - 60 psi hot at idle. I will also replace the timing chain, should I go double roller or keep the gears I have now ? I also plan on replacing the pushrods with hardened units. Do I use 7.40 rods or will I needs a different size ? last, Do I need to replace the valve springs ? While I do plan on hitting the track maybe two or three time a year and I do not drive like a teenager anymore. Also, I may do the work myself, how many hours am I looking at ? I have rebuild engines before but never an LS1. Do I need the JPR lifter tool ? Is there anything else I forgot ?
    Thanks in advance for the advice and help.
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 08-22-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

With something like the 224 a double roller timing chain is overkill, and some oil pumps you can't use them because of clearance. I would just get the c5-r or ls2 chain. Unless you are changing heads you don't need pushrods that are different from stock length. I have a thread going that is called "Camshaft swap Howto" to give you an idea of the work involved. I am not done but close.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Is this an auto? I'm guessing because of the initial tame cam specs you chose.

Since these engines have a non adjustable valvetrain,,,,sometimes longer pushrods are chosen with aftermarket cams for a couple reasons. Since it relies on pushrod length for proper lifter preload, pushrod length is important. I've seen some instances where people don't like the sewing machine sounds from an aftermarket cam and they lengthen the pushrods for more preload.
    Another reason is because alot of cam grinders gain lift by making the base circle of the cam shorter,,,,this changes lifter preload and therefore pushrod length.

You can also change over to an adjustable valve train and adjust lifter preload on your own (my wifes LS1 is adjustable) then pushrod length becomes critical only to set valvetrain geometry. This modification is all personal preference though.

You'll have to talk to the cam manufacture of your choice and see exactly what they recommend for their particular camshafts.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is this an auto? I'm guessing because of the initial tame cam specs you chose.

Since these engines have a non adjustable valvetrain,,,,sometimes longer pushrods are chosen with aftermarket cams for a couple reasons. Since it relies on pushrod length for proper lifter preload, pushrod length is important. I've seen some instances where people don't like the sewing machine sounds from an aftermarket cam and they lengthen the pushrods for more preload.
    Another reason is because alot of cam grinders gain lift by making the base circle of the cam shorter,,,,this changes lifter preload and therefore pushrod length.

You can also change over to an adjustable valve train and adjust lifter preload on your own (my wifes LS1 is adjustable) then pushrod length becomes critical only to set valvetrain geometry. This modification is all personal preference though.

You'll have to talk to the cam manufacture of your choice and see exactly what they recommend for their particular camshafts.
    6 Speed Manual

Thread Information