Thread: Cam ???

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Cam ???

This might sound stupid or might not be able to be done....I don't know much about cam's or most of the internal engine, so don't kill me for askin this....How big of a cam can I put in my car without changing anything else?.....I guess I would like it to be a mild cam because I don't want that sound where it sounds like it's gonna stall, I want it too have a smooth sound, but when I rev it up it has that ripping sound in the motor...U guys know what I mean by that ripping sound???....Like I said b4 I don't even know if it's even possible to do, so all the info would be very much appreciated, thanks
    2000 Silver Ws6 - Holly Powershot, MTI clear lid, MBA descreened 85mm maf ends, SLP bellow, SLP 160° T-stat, EGR delete, TB bypass, Elite Engineering PCV oil catch can, Sealed Ram Air, Diablo Predator, UMI SFC's, UMI Torque Arm, Borla adj cat-back

White Bird, Red Camaro
    91' Bird, 02' Camaro

Just put some headers and an exhaust on if all you are going for is sound.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I already have headers and a Borla adj catback, she sounds good now, but I'd also like to get some performance from switchin the cam and also get that ripping sound in the motor if its even possible to do

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you can't put a cam in with nothing else. at a minimum, you'll need to change the valve springs.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

So basically I should just go all out and do it right, cam, push rods, rockers, springs, ls6 intake....It's just a shit load of money to do all that....That's probably my best bet I'm guessing tho, right?

White Bird, Red Camaro
    91' Bird, 02' Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSteen25 View Post
    So basically I should just go all out and do it right, cam, push rods, rockers, springs, ls6 intake....It's just a shit load of money to do all that....That's probably my best bet I'm guessing tho, right?
    You would probably be more happy that you did it right...horsepower is not free, law of HP conservation; your $$$+time is converted into horsepower, therefore the more $$$+time, the more horsepower results.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

I would do the cam, springs, pushrods, and the ls6 intake and forget about the rockers. If you want a smoother idle from your cam you'll want to stay away from the 112 LSA, because it chops pretty good. The 114 LSA is some smoother but you can still tell the car has a cam in it.
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Oh and if your doing the cam I would install a different timing chain and oil pump.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

You already have an LS6 intake so you don't have to worry about it, but yes, change the timing chain and oil pump. Thunder Racing has some good packages for cams that include everything you'll need with the valvetrain. You'll be looking at around 1K for all the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    You already have an LS6 intake so you don't have to worry about it, but yes, change the timing chain and oil pump. Thunder Racing has some good packages for cams that include everything you'll need with the valvetrain. You'll be looking at around 1K for all the parts.
    No he doesn't his car is a 00. Only 01 and 02s have the LS6 intake.

If you are going to do a cam and all the supports that go with it you may as well do a head/cam combo and realize the full potential of changing a cam. Sure it's more money but it's well spent IMO. Don't forget you need to tune it as well so add that $$$ in there.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSteen25 View Post
    This might sound stupid or might not be able to be done....I don't know much about cam's or most of the internal engine, so don't kill me for askin this....How big of a cam can I put in my car without changing anything else?.....I guess I would like it to be a mild cam because I don't want that sound where it sounds like it's gonna stall, I want it too have a smooth sound, but when I rev it up it has that ripping sound in the motor...U guys know what I mean by that ripping sound???....Like I said b4 I don't even know if it's even possible to do, so all the info would be very much appreciated, thanks
    i suggest reading this for starters:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327734
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i suggest reading this for starters:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327734
    Thanks man, that thread is great, explains everything, helped me out a lot....I'd also like to thank everyone else for all the info....Thanks guys

Thread Information