Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Calling all Torquer V2 camshaft guys.

I am thinking of going this route for my cam and would like to get some info from everyone running this camshaft. The cam will be going with my 243's that are gasket match P&P with clean up mill to 64CC. This is a weekend warrior so DD doesn't really matter.

What power are you making with what mods?

Hows drivablity?

How much did it effect MPG?

How long of pushrods?

The cam is my next purchase and been looking at this cam for quite a while but want to make ABSOLUTLE sure that its what I will like.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Why the 64cc chamber? Personally, I would take it down to.... maybe 62cc. Theres no reason not to increase your compression if you can fit the cam and run on pump fuel. The V.2 has made good numbers for some, and made medioker numbers for others. Have you looked at any dino sheets off Tech? Of course that place is just over run with V.2 swingers being it Tech and all. Have you called anywhere yet to see about a non-off the shelf grind? Call Cam Motion or Comp. Sometimes Comp can be very short with their answers and almost seem like they are too busy to talk with you. Either way, start looking into other cams then just the TS series. Many cams out there. Not saying the V.2 is not a good grind, it is... But maybe look into other cams and research the dino sheets of others.

Also, stock 7.4 PR's would probably be fine. If the base circle of the cam is close to stock I would assume it would be 7.4. A push rod length checker would tell all though.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thats what Frost said "why 64CC, why not smaller" I was told by TSP that 62CC wouldn't work with that cam or else I would have gone smaller. I don't want to Fly cut the pistons AT ALL. No ifs ands or buts. To mill down to 62CC would only cost me another $75 so I can still do it if thats the case. I have looked at a few other cams but nothing in depth. I appreciate the answer Hi-Po

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

While TSP is a great parts place, I take what they say with a grain of salt anymore. I could call them up right now and ask them if my setup would work and I gurantee the answer would be...No. They said it before, and here I am. Running a way bigger cam then what they said I could barely get away with. They said I couldnt even fit a 224. Im running a 230/236 I understand why you dont wanna flycut, it just seems like more work then most are willing for a cam swap. Ask other places if that setup will work. No one is going to gurantee you it will work/fit. But they will give an educated guess on the matter. Buy your parts from TSP ( preferably KY Speed. He will 9 time outta 10 get you a better deal, plus he's cool to BS with) and get your cam advice elsewhere. Again, thats just MY opinion.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    While TSP is a great parts place, I take what they say with a grain of salt anymore. I could call them up right now and ask them if my setup would work and I gurantee the answer would be...No. They said it before, and here I am. Running a way bigger cam then what they said I could barely get away with. They said I couldnt even fit a 224. Im running a 230/236 I understand why you dont wanna flycut, it just seems like more work then most are willing for a cam swap. Ask other places if that setup will work. No one is going to gurantee you it will work/fit. But they will give an educated guess on the matter. Buy your parts from TSP ( preferably KY Speed. He will 9 time outta 10 get you a better deal, plus he's cool to BS with) and get your cam advice elsewhere. Again, thats just MY opinion.
    I understand where your coming from. I started looking at the MS3 last night and checking out peoples opinions and it sounds like a cam that I wouldn't mind. I just want to find out what CC these cams will work with and searching on the internet just doesn't help. Can't find a definitive answer without searching through 10,000 pages. I'll give KY a try on monday or maybe try LS1speed since they are close to me and seem to be decent from my understanding.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I ran a torquer cam and loved it. I used the stock length pushrods(hardened) and I did not need to flycut the pistons on stock heads. My heads were ported, thats it. Driveability was great, no probs, but I also had a 3400 stall. Mileage, not so sure of, I think like 13 city, 18 highway or so. If you look at my sig, it made 422 rwhp and 384 rwtq. Hope that helps
    TSP Torquer V2 cam, ported heads,fast 90/90 combo, LT's, 3400 stall, magnaflow CB, most other bolt ons, full suspension, t-top and HID conversion

422 RWHP, 384TQ

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    I ran a torquer cam and loved it. I used the stock length pushrods(hardened) and I did not need to flycut the pistons on stock heads. My heads were ported, thats it. Driveability was great, no probs, but I also had a 3400 stall. Mileage, not so sure of, I think like 13 city, 18 highway or so. If you look at my sig, it made 422 rwhp and 384 rwtq. Hope that helps
    Damn, can't believe how much hp you made!!! Thats alot power but looks to be one sided. Torque isn't that high but your an auto and with stock heads. Thanks for posting, I appreciate it

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Damn, can't believe how much hp you made!!! Thats alot power but looks to be one sided. Torque isn't that high but your an auto and with stock heads. Thanks for posting, I appreciate it
    You worried about TQ and thinking about e MS3? A MS3 is a higher end HP cam, and not really known for huge TQ numbers. Also, if your looking at the MS series, I hope your also looking at a steep gear to get you into the powerband of a MS-series cam.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    You worried about TQ and thinking about e MS3? A MS3 is a higher end HP cam, and not really known for huge TQ numbers. Also, if your looking at the MS series, I hope your also looking at a steep gear to get you into the powerband of a MS-series cam.
    I just took a look or two at the MS3, still leaning more towards the Torquer. I just need to find out what lift for PTV on 64CC or 62CC if I go that route. Monday needs to come around so I can figure this shit out by calling.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Ok, I have did about an hour or two of research and found that the Torquer V2 will work without flycutting on a 62CC head. Looks like my heads are going back to the shop for a little more of a bump in compression Been looking at the 228R Hi-Po, I know alot of people run this cam and get great streetability, whats your take on the 228R?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I just took a look or two at the MS3, still leaning more towards the Torquer. I just need to find out what lift for PTV on 64CC or 62CC if I go that route. Monday needs to come around so I can figure this shit out by calling.
    Duration plays more of a factor than lift does.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Duration plays more of a factor than lift does.
    Did not know that. Good info to know. Didn't find it on any of my searchs.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I don't like either cam mentioned in this thread much personally (though seems I have said this before). I have never seen any great numbers with the tqr2, but I have had several of them (though they are 'smaller') that were a chore to get all of the driveability worked out on. They can act stubborn like many larger cams. The MS3 is a top end cam that even when properly matched with other parts seems light on the tq... Regardless of what you pick, you need to check PTV.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

You mentioned that in another post that you would have problems giving me a tune because of the Torquer V2 being a harder cam to work with tune wise. And since the closest dyno is LS1speed, I will def need a tune from you Frost so it runs half way decent. I guess I will go custom grind even though I don't want to. Seems like thats all everyone ever says on this site is custom grind this and custom grind that. Major answer to most camshaft questions. Not getting angry at the posters in this thread but just a bit strung out on this damn cam choice. The more I search, the more lost I become. Eventually I'm going to say fuck it and buy the first cam I see.

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

GREAT street cam.....makes for a real fun weekend warrior on a budget H/C/I car with bolt ons.

-Will

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by TARZAN View Post
    GREAT street cam.....makes for a real fun weekend warrior on a budget H/C/I car with bolt ons.

-Will
    Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Budget somewhat and lots o' fun on the weekends. My current power just wasn't getting it done

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You mentioned that in another post that you would have problems giving me a tune because of the Torquer V2 being a harder cam to work with tune wise. And since the closest dyno is LS1speed, I will def need a tune from you Frost so it runs half way decent. I guess I will go custom grind even though I don't want to. Seems like thats all everyone ever says on this site is custom grind this and custom grind that. Major answer to most camshaft questions. Not getting angry at the posters in this thread but just a bit strung out on this damn cam choice. The more I search, the more lost I become. Eventually I'm going to say fuck it and buy the first cam I see.
    Buy my stock cam for 300

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I didn't want to make this post, mainly because I didn't want to get your hopes up...

My H/C/I swap that I've been trying to get done for awhile now, but haven't because of different things coming up (mainly my fueling problem that ate up my Spring Break), involves the Torquer V.2 cam and some Ported, Polished and Milled (60cc) 5.3 Heads. I've had about 75% of the people I've talked to (including Texas Speed and Speed Inc.) say that my combo will be close, BUT it will work. Obviously, I will be checking PTV clearance before I start her up, but I am fairly confident I won't have to change anything.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

My deal with the trqr2 is just that in some setups it can take extra time to get the car to the condition that I like to have them in and I have never seen any great numbers come from it, including the torque numbers. The MS3 is a wholly different animal all together. It is easy to get it to idle and return to idle solidly and it makes numbers way up in the top of the RPM band.

The reason that a custom grind is more rec'd here than other boards is that the sponsors on many other boards are pushing their signature/own line of cams. They spend time coming up with names and imagery for them. There happens to be less of that here, so you get a better un-clouded answer. Why does the idea of calling a place like Cam Motion sound upsetting?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I didn't want to make this post, mainly because I didn't want to get your hopes up...

My H/C/I swap that I've been trying to get done for awhile now, but haven't because of different things coming up (mainly my fueling problem that ate up my Spring Break), involves the Torquer V.2 cam and some Ported, Polished and Milled (60cc) 5.3 Heads. I've had about 75% of the people I've talked to (including Texas Speed and Speed Inc.) say that my combo will be close, BUT it will work. Obviously, I will be checking PTV clearance before I start her up, but I am fairly confident I won't have to change anything.
    KEEP ME UPDATED

And to Frost, I understand what you mean. I am still looking into different cams. The research is driving my nuts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information