Results 1 to 12 of 12

C5 cam in stock T/A... interesting

This is a discussion on C5 cam in stock T/A... interesting within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i was reading on one of the threads in here that in 1998 there was a shortage of regular ls1 ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member 98T/A.SNAKEATER_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Broken Arrow,OK
    Posts
    36

    Red
    1998 pontiac Trans Am

    C5 cam in stock T/A... interesting

    i was reading on one of the threads in here that in 1998 there was a shortage of regular ls1 F body cams and for a short time pontiac put C5 cams in T/A's is there a code on the vin # that would tell me if i have one because my car has a slight lope at idle.... anyone know anything about that??

  2. #2
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Can't remember if 98 Vettes and F bods got different cams or not, if they did, the difference was negligable. The only Vettes that had a signifigantly bigger cam was the ZO6 and those didn't come out till 01. Basically, it's your imagination.

  3. #3
    Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,045

    Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Can't remember if 98 Vettes and F bods got different cams or not, if they did, the difference was negligable. The only Vettes that had a signifigantly bigger cam was the ZO6 and those didn't come out till 01. Basically, it's your imagination.
    That's not necessarily true, there's a 30 hp difference between the fbody ls1 cam and the c5 ls1 cam. That's a decent 2-3 tenths off your quarter mile, hardly negligible. GM wanted to keep the vette as the king of power and purposely detuned the fbody to keep it that way.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

    BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    That's not necessarily true, there's a 30 hp difference between the fbody ls1 cam and the c5 ls1 cam. That's a decent 2-3 tenths off your quarter mile, hardly negligible. GM wanted to keep the vette as the king of power and purposely detuned the fbody to keep it that way.
    Completely wrong. Sorry bud.

  5. #5
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    You would have to pull the cam out and have it measured. but YES the 98s had a few of these happen. Shouldnt be more than 15rwhp tho.

  6. #6
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    LS1 Factory Cam specs

    F-body `98-00
    198/209 .500/.500 119.5 LSA

    Corvette `97-99
    199/207 .472/.479 117 LSA

    Corvette 2000
    198/209 .500/.500 115.5 LSA

    Corvette, F-body, GTO, `01-04 *
    196/207 .467/.479 116 LSA

    * Same as `01 up 6.0 Truck cam

    As you can see the early F-body cam has more lift then the Vette cam but has less overlap. This is why F-bodies had EGR and the Vettes did not.
    All LS1's will make approx 345-350 HP regardless of what vehicle they were installed in.
    If your still not convinced take a look at this

    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  7. #7
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    LS1 Factory Cam specs

    F-body `98-00
    198/209 .500/.500 119.5 LSA

    Corvette `97-99
    199/207 .472/.479 117 LSA

    Corvette 2000
    198/209 .500/.500 115.5 LSA

    Corvette, F-body, GTO, `01-04 *
    196/207 .467/.479 116 LSA

    * Same as `01 up 6.0 Truck cam

    As you can see the early F-body cam has more lift then the Vette cam but has less overlap. This is why F-bodies had EGR and the Vettes did not.
    All LS1's will make approx 345-350 HP regardless of what vehicle they were installed in.
    If your still not convinced take a look at this

    Click for full size
    WERD! The difference between a 98 f bod cam and 98 Vette cam is miniscule and makes no difference in power. In htis case the f body made more horsepower prolly due to the Vettes IRS eating more hp.

  8. #8
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    WERD! The difference between a 98 f bod cam and 98 Vette cam is miniscule and makes no difference in power. In htis case the f body made more horsepower prolly due to the Vettes IRS eating more hp.
    Exactly,....

    Although the Vette would have a power to weight advantage in reality it's a drivers race.

  9. #9
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Exactly,....

    Although the Vette would have a power to weight advantage in reality it's a drivers race.
    i agree.

  10. #10
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    WERD! The difference between a 98 f bod cam and 98 Vette cam is miniscule and makes no difference in power. In htis case the f body made more horsepower prolly due to the Vettes IRS eating more hp.
    Still I dont see how the IRS eats up more power than the solid rears.

    Each have a drive shaft, ring & pinion and an axle going to each wheel.

    Not doubting you just not sure why the IRS eats more power.

  11. #11
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Still I dont see how the IRS eats up more power than the solid rears.

    Each have a drive shaft, ring & pinion and an axle going to each wheel.

    Not doubting you just not sure why the IRS eats more power.
    You forgot the CV joints so obviously there are more parts. Besides that they need to be robust enough to handle the power, so now your looking at more weight. So it eats up more power to spin the extra/heavier components.

  12. #12
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    You forgot the CV joints so obviously there are more parts. Besides that they need to be robust enough to handle the power, so now your looking at more weight. So it eats up more power to spin the extra/heavier components.
    Makes sense. My only other question is, if an IRS loses more power how much MORE does it lose than a solid rear?

    I would like to see two engines on an engine dyno showing what they produce, then dropped in to a solid axle, the other in to an IRS and see how much they deviate from in % of loss due to driveline. Both using the same wheel/tire combo so that one does not have more recipricating mass than the other, as well as same gear ratio's (or close) with the same atmosphere and other variables.


    Has it been done?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting
    By Huskerz1 in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
  2. Interesting day
    By cuervo25_1 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 04:17 PM
  3. Very interesting
    By brendan.9 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 07:53 PM
  4. Interesting
    By GTP231 in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •