Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

buy 243's or get my 853's ported?

OK ive been trying to decide what to do for awhile now.. I know its time to upgrade the heads on my car and i wanna know the best way to go about it is. i wanna know if i should pick up a set 243's and get them ported or if i should just take my 853's to get ported? I plan on spending about $800. So if i get the 243's for about 400 and spend another 400 on porting will they outflow my 853's if i just spend 800 on porting those? the flow numbers im shooting for are 300+cfm on the intake side and 230+cfm on the exhaust side. Can 853's even be ported to flow that much? full details please

i know people are going to say just save up and buy TEA's or AFR's or PRC's, but i can get some 243's for pretty cheap and i really kinda wanna do this as an experiment.

keep in mind, i have NOT looked up porting prices, i know they are expensive but im just trying to get a feel for which direction i should head. If 800 wont get me the numbers i want( im pretty sure it wont) thats fine, then disregard the price ive put on it.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Who is going to be doing the porting?
    You can buy used heads on tech that have been ported and milled for that price.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

243s period

98' trans am

why are you getting caught up in huge cfm numbers...it might be time for you to really read about head design etc...hogged out heads might as well be door stops..get 243s..take them to a good porter that knows how to work this genIII+ heads and they will do wonders.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    why are you getting caught up in huge cfm numbers...it might be time for you to really read about head design etc...hogged out heads might as well be door stops..get 243s..take them to a good porter that knows how to work this genIII+ heads and they will do wonders.
    everyone's got goals right? and if i dont get exactly those numbers or find out i dont necessarily need those numbers, thats fine, im still researching. i plan on keeping these heads for awhile, im not trying for peak numbers alone, id love for them to flow awesome under .600 lift, but from a lot of what ive seen good #'s under the curve lead to awesome number's up top. My cam's lift is over .600+/.590+ , so i thats why i want it too flow really well (among other things that i could on for awhile about). so maybe it came off wrong with how i worded it

TEA will be doing the porting.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Who is going to be doing the porting?
    You can buy used heads on tech that have been ported and milled for that price.
    i know ive been searching tech for awhile, but the deals are there and gone before i even see them haha.

but i kinda wanna get these ported for MY setup, not other peoples.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    everyone's got goals right? and if i dont get exactly those numbers or find out i dont necessarily need those numbers, thats fine, im still researching. i plan on keeping these heads for awhile, im not trying for peak numbers alone, id love for them to flow awesome under .600 lift, but from a lot of what ive seen good #'s under the curve lead to awesome number's up top. My cam's lift is over .600+/.590+ , so i thats why i want it too flow really well (among other things that i could on for awhile about). so maybe it came off wrong with how i worded it

TEA will be doing the porting.
    tea will take care of you..id go 243s..tell them your set up..and they will not lead you wrong.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

+100 for 243's. They already have a great design, awesome valves, etc.... Get them ported and milled like mine, keep the stock valves unless you have the money for valve job/new valves. You don't need massive CFM flow unless your cam/exhaust/intake can handle it.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Thread Information