Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Burning Oil/Coolant

I recently completed a H/C/I Swap and after a Mail Order Tune to get rid of the running rich problem, I've run into another problem in lieu of getting my full tune...I'm burning either Oil or Coolant and I can't figure out from where. When it's running (obviously), there is a massive amount of blue/white smoke coming from the open headers.

At first I thought oil was leaking in from the Rocker Arm Studs because the port job on the heads cut into the Intake Rocker Arm Threads. So, I went and put Red Thread Locker on the Studs and Threads of all of the Rocker Arms. This did not fix the problem, it's still spewing out smoke.

I'm stumped, because all of the usual oil leak places were replaced with new parts during the H/C/I Swap...Valve Guides, Valve Seals, and Head Gaskets.

Something new from today...I ran her for about 3 minutes and shut her off. Checked the Coolant level and it seems that there is a little bit of oil in the coolant. I don't think it's a lot because there was a lot of coolant on the dipstick as well. Oil on the dipstick is not milky in the slightest, still clearish, not even turning black yet.

Oil Pressure is normal. Oil Level is the same as it was when I did the swap.

Any ideas of places I have not checked yet? I'm really hoping this not a head gasket thing, cause I would hate to pull the heads while they are still on the car

Here is a picture and a video of what I am talking about:

Thanks guys.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Also might want to mention that I installed a LS6 Valley Cover and Catch Can with the H/C/I Swap. The Catch Can has a little bit of oil in it, so it seems to be doing it's job. I have yet to pull the TB off the Intake to see if there is any oil in the Intake.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Its probably not a head gasket. Had that problem with a few cars before. They usually have coolant in the oil. Not oil in the coolant.
    It has to be somewhere in the engine where the oil is under pressure to force it into the coolant.
    After your car runs for a while coolant residue will form on the rear panel near the exhaust if you are burning coolant.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Its probably not a head gasket. Had that problem with a few cars before. They usually have coolant in the oil. Not oil in the coolant.
    It has to be somewhere in the engine where the oil is under pressure to force it into the coolant.
    After your car runs for a while coolant residue will form on the rear panel near the exhaust if you are burning coolant.
    Ok...still need suggestions on where to look for the leak.

I'll pull the plugs this weekend to see which cylinder it is.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

It didn't appear to be smoking in the video, so when do you get the smoke?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Well, I pulled the plugs and found them fouled, so I think it is the tune that doesn't exist *sigh*

Thread Information