Thread: building engine

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Exclamation building engine

OK. So i have a 69 camaro with the original 307 in it, the 307 has just been rebuilt and only has about15k miles on it. i cant afford a crate engine but this engine is severly underpowered for a lead foot like me. Ive already replaced the 2 bbl carb with a edlebrock 650cfm 4bbl carb, put on long tube headers, and 2 inch dual exhaflowmasters. This has me at about 240 - 250 horspower, im looking to hit 300 bare minimum, so wat do i need. please be as specific as possible ( so if u say get a cam, please say what type and where i can find it, if u know that is), but also i am a poor college student so superchargers and such are a bit out of the price range. Any and all advise is welcome, thanks.

Awaiting Activation

Re: building engine

What kind of stall/transmission do you have in it?? Also I would think that 2" is pretty small for exhaust. I just hopped up my dad's chevelle with a pretty large cam, headers, and a 650 with an HEI dist. And we went with 2.5" pipe back to a set of dynomax ultra flows and dumps.

A cam would do you some good too! What intake manifold do you have on it?? Maybe you could swap a set of vortec heads on it, with some sort of dual plane vortec manifold and net around 300 with a cam.

MrMiracle
    Cam selection will depend on your ultimate goal. Are there any plans in the future for nitrous or supercharging?

It seems like your car exhales pretty well, but have you made any changes on the intake side? The carb is providing all of the fuel you need, but is the engine getting the air to go with it?

Aluminum intakes aren't too expensive. Edelbrock RPMs can be had for $150 ish, and come in both regular and vortec styles.

And speaking of Vortec heads, people are constantly replacing their stock Vortecs with aftermarkets, which means there's a healthy and cheap supply of them on Ebay.

Thread Information