Black/ silver
    1998 trans am

Building a 600+ hp motor???

So I'm planning on building a big power ls1, and I need your help! I've already bought everything suspension wise that can be bolted to the car (100% adjustable tubular components) but now comes time for the engine. I plan on doing a very mild build in order to retain structural integrity. I want to stroke it and port/ polish the heads. I don't wand to bore the cylinders because I plan on running around 15 psi boost. Now I need your opinions, what do I need to buy?? Stroked shafts, bigger cams. pistons and rods, valves rockers push rods... Brands and prices please! Or will my engine builder be the best to get these parts for me? The only other time I've built an engine I was in high school on an extremely limited budget! Is my dream even a reality?? Also anybody have a ballpark figure as to what i might end up spending building this strong motor? Thanks, Ty

NBM
    1998Z28

I would move this to the forced induction section.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Tylumpy View Post
    So I'm planning on building a big power ls1, and I need your help! I've already bought everything suspension wise that can be bolted to the car (100% adjustable tubular components) but now comes time for the engine. I plan on doing a very mild build in order to retain structural integrity. I want to stroke it and port/ polish the heads. I don't wand to bore the cylinders because I plan on running around 15 psi boost. Now I need your opinions, what do I need to buy?? Stroked shafts, bigger cams. pistons and rods, valves rockers push rods... Brands and prices please! Or will my engine builder be the best to get these parts for me? The only other time I've built an engine I was in high school on an extremely limited budget! Is my dream even a reality?? Also anybody have a ballpark figure as to what i might end up spending building this strong motor? Thanks, Ty
    what is your budget??? you're looking at around $5-6k for the FI, atleast $3k for the stroker parts and then the install is another ball park... if oyu have the stock rear you'll have to replace that $2.5k minimum and if you don't have suspension work all that power will be wasted through the crappy stock parts flexing...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    what is your budget??? you're looking at around $5-6k for the FI, atleast $3k for the stroker parts and then the install is another ball park... if oyu have the stock rear you'll have to replace that $2.5k minimum and if you don't have suspension work all that power will be wasted through the crappy stock parts flexing...
    This. Plus you state you want to do a mild build, yet run 15 pounds of boost? That would not consist with a mild build. You will need many forged parts, and many parts specific to run that much boost. It will all need to be matched up perfectly to allow for a reliable motor that can produce the power.

Black/ silver
    1998 trans am

All the suspension has been taken care of. I'm workin with about 10k$. And I'm definatly using all forged parts. What I ment by mild building was by not over boring any cylinders or over porting the heads. But thanks for the info, I'll keep the progress loaded on the forum. I appreciate the input and I hope you continue to fill me in! Thanks ty

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Tylumpy View Post
    All the suspension has been taken care of. I'm workin with about 10k$. And I'm definatly using all forged parts. What I ment by mild building was by not over boring any cylinders or over porting the heads. But thanks for the info, I'll keep the progress loaded on the forum. I appreciate the input and I hope you continue to fill me in! Thanks ty
    Something you might think of is 390 or 408 build with all forged internals. Also make sure for the pistons you go with one specific for boosted applications and maybe a shorter stroke as to provide higher overlap for the crankshaft(larger than stock but smaller than you could go). I am by no means an expert but i have been doing some research on this topic as i plan on running very high boost. I would call up a professional engine builder and see what they think would be good. The main thing would be to research everything thoroughly.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-09-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro

I'm not a big fan of FI but with 10k you could do a LS3 swap and put down some good numbers. Just giving another option, I believe LG Motor sports has some twin turbo kits for your FI. I only wish I had 10k to play with.

British racing green
    01 vx hsv gts c4b

There's guys down here getting 550+rwhp out of cam and valley mount i know of one ls1 that went 700 with just twin turbos running 15psi that was the c4b Calloway engine

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

My 427 LS3 motor cost $9500 for the long block (block, internals, heads, etc.). I then dropped $1400 on a FAST102 Intake/TB/Powdercoating, $650 on a EWP, among other little things. I'm going to be running stock rockers, so if you want roller rockers you can pay anywhere between $300 and $1200 for a complete set.

After you have all of the parts, you still need to install the damned thing...if you doing it yourself, good. If not, you're looking at another $2-ish for a shop to swap out the old motor and install the new one.

If you dropped to a 402 LS2, you could probably save $1000, but then you're still over your budget.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

hugger orange

I'm sitting right under $8,000 in my 408 now with my stock 241s ported and milled, a good set of heads will put me right over the $10,000 mark......but its a hell of a ride

British racing green
    01 vx hsv gts c4b

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I'm sitting right under $8,000 in my 408 now with my stock 241s ported and milled, a good set of heads will put me right over the $10,000 mark......but its a hell of a ride
    Damn I have a 383 ground up rebuild and it has only cost me 8 that's with stoker kit afr heads cam rockers pushrods from all acounts it should be up around mid 500's at the rears through a twin plate and mm6 tremec box

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 383vxgts View Post
    Damn I have a 383 ground up rebuild and it has only cost me 8 that's with stoker kit afr heads cam rockers pushrods from all acounts it should be up around mid 500's at the rears through a twin plate and mm6 tremec box
    my bottom end is good to 9,000+ rpms and running 12.56:1 compression on pump gas :Yup:

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 383vxgts View Post
    my bottom end is good to 9,000+ rpms and running 12.56:1 compression on pump gas...plus I just beat a GSXR 750 the other night :Yup:

Thread Information