Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Build my 383!!!!!!!

Ok, so the engine is out the car, and i don't plan on driving for it for a LONG TIME. My goal is a 383 LS1 with 9.0:1 compression using my block. Problem is the only thing I know I need to do is buy a forged 4.00'' crank.....and that's about it....so obviously forged internals are a must, i guess the big question is which pistons to get.

Heads are (to my understanding) another huge player

INK/TB - F.A.S.T. 92/92 is in my bed room still in the box.....

As far as cam, I want a quiet one..... something around the lines of the 04 Z06 cam

so um...yea....i have no idea what im getting my self into, but i do have a goal and i intend to reach the goal before I turn 22....ok, maybe 25....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would first....

Not go with a 383 LSx.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

lq9 - 402..give you plenty of room for a cleaning incase something goes wrong

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

if your gunna get all new internals and heads, just leave them all together, sell them and by a real stroker. 383 is just not worth it.for what you sell your other stuff for you can get a 6.l bare block and start from there. you can still use the FAST set-up and im sure you can find a quite cam. The crank and internals wont be that much more. The real queston is how much do you want to spend?

Lq9 408 is the way to go!

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    lq9 - 408..give you plenty of room for a cleaning incase something goes wrong
    beat me to it! but i fixed it for you

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Some ported 317 truck heads.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

is the stock block really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by IT_SS View Post
    is the stock block really that bad?
    if you are doing a twin turbo setup as im assuming since your title shows that. the 383 will be fine. Actually just do a 347 and leave it alone. FI doesnt need the cubes as much as some believe.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    if you are doing a twin turbo setup as im assuming since your title shows that. the 383 will be fine. Actually just do a 347 and leave it alone. FI doesnt need the cubes as much as some believe.
    Hmmm, thats somthing for me to think about, i just really want to protect my bottom end...

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i was just saying that if you are going to spend the money, you should try and get the most out of it.

Hmmm, thats somthing for me to think about, i just really want to protect my bottom end...
    stock cranks been known to hold up well over 1k. rods and pistons are what worries ppl. im over 700rwhp with a stock 4.8. the tune is the key there is a point where you start to bend the rods but i havent seen it but its like any other urban legend.

now some say dont go past X amount of boost cause it will fail. that person has no idea what he or she is talking about. the tune is the reason motors fail.

a set of 60s on a 347 will be more power then youll ever be able to handle

find a set of 317s stock, stock ls6 intake, stock TB, stock crank, get good pistons and good rods with say the LS6 cam and youll be set. cost friendly and proven combo

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I missed the twin turbo part. I am with Quik on this. 347 with forged internals.

I don't recommend the 383 route....ever. Known wrist pin issues with them for some reason.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    i was just saying that if you are going to spend the money, you should try and get the most out of it.
    if you cant afford it dont need it. a 408 with budget parts isnt not better then a 347. ive seen 383s make more power then 408s, i seen 347s make more power then 408 as well. i see n408s make more power then 427s. this can go on and on. its where you spend your money.

In FI its not as needed as you would think. if size actually matter in FI then my motor wouldnt work as well as it does

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

if you cant afford it dont need it. a 408 with budget parts isnt not better then a 347. ive seen 383s make more power then 408s, i seen 347s make more power then 408 as well. i see n408s make more power then 427s. this can go on and on. its where you spend your money.

In FI its not as needed as you would think. if size actually matter in FI then my motor wouldnt work as well as it does
    Dr. Cash, what you're saying is strongly supported and proven, and i thank you for you input

Quik, the reason i was considering 383 is because not matter what i do, those stock internals are being replaced...and there's a bit of sentiment *violins* I have for my stock block. Ive see 383''^3 ls1 with stock blocks and they run wonderfully, but my options are open, like i said, the engine is out the car, and my projected time of completion is around my 22nd bday (3-12-2010)

and besides, 383 Stroker TT just sounds friggin bad ass

Dr. Cash, what you're saying is strongly supported and proven, and i thank you for you input

Quik, the reason i was considering 383 is because not matter what i do, those stock internals are being replaced...and there's a bit of sentiment *violins* I have for my stock block. Ive see 383''^3 ls1 with stock blocks and they run wonderfully, but my options are open, like i said, the engine is out the car, and my projected time of completion is around my 22nd bday (3-12-2010)

and besides, 383 Stroker TT just sounds friggin bad ass
    you can do a 383 your motor will be fine. just saying you could just do a 347 and still make more then enough power. the power difference between the 383 and 347 wotn be much just torque will be the difference when in boost. now off boost that is where youll feel the slight difference.

also if you do 408 for boost then you need much larger turbos or a large single which now costs more money since youll need alot more of supporting mods.

a 408 with boost with anything under 900rwhp on pump gas is a Sin. a local 347 with 13 psi did 700rwhp and 740 rwtq. that is enough power for a 9s pass in a properly setup fbody.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

you can do a 383 your motor will be fine. just saying you could just do a 347 and still make more then enough power. the power difference between the 383 and 347 wotn be much just torque will be the difference when in boost. now off boost that is where youll feel the slight difference.

also if you do 408 for boost then you need much larger turbos or a large single which now costs more money since youll need alot more of supporting mods.

a 408 with boost with anything under 900rwhp on pump gas is a Sin. a local 347 with 13 psi did 700rwhp and 740 rwtq. that is enough power for a 9s pass in a properly setup fbody.

Hmmm. Now that we've gotten that out the way *smoke clears*, If i were to purchase a bottom end kit, which compression would i go for? and what other components will determine compression ratio?

Hmmm. Now that we've gotten that out the way *smoke clears*, If i were to purchase a bottom end kit, which compression would i go for? and what other components will determine compression ratio?
    compression depends on what you want to do with FI. some like more compression for off boost power and just run race fuel for high boost times. some run high compression and run E85. some like real low compression and alot of boost on pump gas but off boost its a dog. a good medium is between 8.8 and 9.5.

heads, stroke, pistons and head gasket thickness determine compression.

it seems like you have alot to learn before even considering this. Id advise you to go to your local book store and pick up a few books about FI before you commit. Also spend a few months on net searching sites for all FI info.

turboforums is a good place
    FI section on tech is another
    spend as much time as possible. the more your gain the better off youll be. if you skimp on this chances are youll have issues or quesitons

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

compression depends on what you want to do with FI. some like more compression for off boost power and just run race fuel for high boost times. some run high compression and run E85. some like real low compression and alot of boost on pump gas but off boost its a dog. a good medium is between 8.8 and 9.5.

heads, stroke, pistons and head gasket thickness determine compression.

it seems like you have alot to learn before even considering this. Id advise you to go to your local book store and pick up a few books about FI before you commit. Also spend a few months on net searching sites for all FI info.

turboforums is a good place
    FI section on tech is another
    spend as much time as possible. the more your gain the better off youll be. if you skimp on this chances are youll have issues or quesitons
    o ive got nothing but time to learn, and i thank you for your input

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

check out this guys sig (whitebullet7)
    all i can say is damn
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...l#post11388825

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

If it were me, and it sorta is (I bought my car with a weak ass stock motor, upgraded STS turbo, brand new 383 almost completed, and a bunch of other parts), I would build a forged 347 and just go with a Magnacharger kit. INSTANT torque and will easily make 550hp with a conservative tune. Since I blew the stock motor in my car, I'm gonna go with the 383 since I already have it and its top quality shit. Right now its just gonna be NA, but when I sell the STS kit and get everything like I want it, I'm just gonna change the cam and throw a Magnacharger on the 383 since the 383 was built for 20psi and well over 1000hp. Luckily the compression is right at 10.7:1 which should still make good power NA, but be perfect for the supercharger.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information