Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Break-in period with new heads/cam

This is a discussion on Break-in period with new heads/cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos I may be wrong....but I believe TSP's install price includes a tune. Anytime you have ...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I may be wrong....but I believe TSP's install price includes a tune.
    Anytime you have work done by TSP they give you a big break on the dyno-tuning. Usually around $50 but I bet if you haggle with them a little they will throw that in. A head and cam swap from TSP should run you around $800. I already have the MS3 from them. They qouted me $600 installation for those same heads. When TSP does head cam swap they just do a couple heat cycles then put her on the dyno. Listen to anything those guys tell you there they are very knowledgable on these late model camaros and vettes.

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

Sounds great but dang...they are 7 hrs from me. Worth it?

HSVGTS300
    Hey might be a bit of a drive but TSP know their stuff.And i'm sure you will enjoy the drive back!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss93 View Post
    If you can take the original quoted $1800 to $1000 plus dyno tune yah that's worth it man
    a tune on it's own is about $ so add that to $1800 and you got $2200 for the original guys.

and find out specs not telling you is bullshit I would not do buisness w/ them if they are hiding basic info from you.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

That may be a little rough for you being that far away. They are only open on weekdays. A job like that would most likely take two days. You would probably have to drive up on a wednesday, drop it off thursday pick it up friday and drive home saturday. You would then have to trailer it up there so you would have a vehicle to drive in the mean time. You may be better off checking for camaro speacialty shops closer to home. If you do go check out there 1000+ RWHP vette. They are a great bunch of guys, you wont regret using them.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Getting PRC head/cam package from Texas Speed next week. Will include timing chain and LS6 oil pump. The installing shop is only giving me a 90-day warranty on labor. Is that normal?

How long should the break-in period be before I have it dynoed?

How much more HP should I expect?

Other than leaks what should I really look for to make sure everything is good before the 90 day warranty ends?

She's my daily driver with 108k miles and I rarely push her very hard.

Thanks
    With the new roller cam of todays motors,realy not alot to worry about if it was installed correctly,unless their is a cam defect or a lifter ,used to claim on the cam cards to break the new cam in run for 2 15 minute intervals,ive build new motors and drove them less then 15 minutes and put em to the wood like i stole them.At the very least id change the oil after a few hundred miles.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

Ya I think I'll order it from them and have someone here in Austin put it in. I wonder what size cam I should get on this to keep it street friendly?

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=203&catid=47
    199PKG1 is the set.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I wouldn't order anything if you don't even know what cam you want yet.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I wouldn't order anything if you don't even know what cam you want yet.
    yes ,best to make sure the cam will work with springs,not alot out there though for the ls motor,being he said hes wanting a street cam,the new behive springs should do the trick,and they can be changed on the motor without pulling the heads.I have brand new set of behive sprins, Ill sell him cheep if hes interested.

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

Finally done

Well I finally got the head/cam/PS LT headers. Shop couldnt get a nice final tune cuz of the SLP MAF. They suggested putting the stock back on OR the Z06 MAF. Man I feel like it's a diff car! Rough ass idle and loud as shit! LOL

Have to relearn how to drive it. Pre dyno was 320 rwhp - afterwards - 418 rwhp. But they told me I need a lid to get more air and bump up the HP so ordered it asap.

Thanks!

hugger orange

Well I finally got the head/cam/PS LT headers. Shop couldnt get a nice final tune cuz of the SLP MAF. They suggested putting the stock back on OR the Z06 MAF. Man I feel like it's a diff car! Rough ass idle and loud as shit! LOL

Have to relearn how to drive it. Pre dyno was 320 rwhp - afterwards - 418 rwhp. But they told me I need a lid to get more air and bump up the HP so ordered it asap.

Thanks!
    what heads and camd you endup going with? great numbers!

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

And who did the work? And who tuned it? What cam did you get? O and one more question, what was the torque. LOL, you learned the hard way same as me, screw those aftermarket MAFs!!! I went back to a stock MAF and solved a few issues that kept popping up like running rich within a week of being retuned to 13.1 A/F. She kept going back to 11.2 with the 85mm Granetelli.

I take it you still have the stock intake manifold... if so, you have more power waiting to be unleashed...lol. O, and the lid won't really see a noticeable HP gain on a dyno, but will give a few once you are actually moving. I experimented during one of my tunes and took the lid completely off and hit the same numbers as I had with a K&N filter and lid installed. Open descreened MAF to throttle body, lol, thankfully nothing fell in there during the pull...vrooooooo"POP" cough cough...

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

Well I everything from Texas Speed.

Stage 1.0 LS6 heads
    Tsunami cam 235/240 111 LSA
    Hardened Chromemoly pushrods
    Rollmaster Dbl -roller Timing set
    LS6 ported/shimmed oil pump
    PS LT ceramic coated headers
    Y pipe with my SLP Loudmouth
    Yes it's freakin loud!

Coming in the mail is an SLP lid and Z06 85mm MAF