Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

black
    1998 chevy S-10

Boost 5.3l S-10 project

OK guys im new on here. but have been on some other forums. i have a 98 chevy s10 that im puting a 5.3l into. im planning on running remote turbo. a ebay special turbo. i know its not the best here but i am on a budget. i need a few recommendations for rods and pistons. also here the turbo specs there is no mapping at this time.

Compressor Wheel 76mm
    .80 a/r
    4” Inlet and 2.5” Compressor Outlet
    Inducer- 76.71mm
    Exducer- 102.36mm

Exhaust Side:
    Exhaust Housing T-4 Flanged Divided
    Available in 2 A/R sizes - .68 or .81
    3.0" Vband outlet
    Inducer- 74.5mm
    Exducer- 60.56mm

my other question is will 6.0l lq9 heads work on a 5.3l.
    i will begine to post pics very shortly of the build. thanks guys.

hugger orange

1st of all it sounds like a great project!

The L92 heads won't work on a 5.3l because the valves are too big and might even hit the cylinder walls.
    I have several friends that run ebay turbos on their imports and can tell you the BIGGEST thing is make sure to have excelent oiling will fry even the best turbo. I take it you are going with an electric remote oil pump, so get a turbo timer that will let the pump run for a mintue or two after the engine is shut off, and when you turn the key on let it run for a few seconds before you start the motor.

Good luck on the build and keep us up to date!

black
    1998 chevy S-10

thanks for in info i was worried about that when it came to the heads. i guess i will just order pistons with a dish, it will help keep the fuel centrized in the chanber anyway. i will be running a electric oil pump. i was planning on useing it on the return side i cant see how the turbo timer will help in that case becouse it take the oil from a scavaging tank to the oil pan. there will be nothing pressurizing it on the feed side. can u explain. i really like the idea for the durabilty.

i will have pics tomorrow im in the prosses of removing the LT1 and trans.

black
    1998 chevy S-10

here alot of parts im going to use for this swap.

radiator and fan w/ shroud
    Wiring harness plug and play
    im still undesided on the mount kit. ( Any suggestions)
    Corvette wheels
    38mm BOV
    38mm wastegate
    turbosmart elect. boost controller
    electric oil pump
    115 lsa camshaft
    60LB SEIMENS FUEL INJECTORS

Im still not sure what are good budget crank and rods but i will be using diamond pistons to get to 8.5:1 comp. i have a neighbor that polishes metal so alot of my parts will be pollished up and cleared.
    Last edited by 0rion; 01-09-2011 at 06:11 AM.

hugger orange

If you have the stock 5.3 heads just run them...don't get them milled, but have then ported and polished and they should work great for you with the dished pistons. That will save you some money

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Stocker 5.3 are 243 heads are they not?

black
    1998 chevy S-10

from what i researched the 243 came on both ls2 and the 6.0l engines and had both good and bad castings. with only the date to tell which one was good.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I have been wanting to do something similar for awhile now sounds like a fun project get some pics up!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

hugger orange

Stock for stock the 243s have bigger valves and flow better than the 5.3 heads, but the 5.3 has a slightly smaller chamber. The 243s that came on the ls1 Corvettes had lighter sodium filled valves where the 243s that came on the ls2s had standard valves. You can port the 243s to flow a lot better than a set of ported 5.3 or 241 heads.

black
    1998 chevy S-10

really i will remember that so they came on 5.7l ls1. becouse for some reason i heard differant. thanks for opening my eyes alittle wider.

hugger orange

The 243s with the lighter valves came on the C5 Corvettes 99- I'm not sure. The 04 gto came with 241s the 05-06 had the ls2 and came with the standard 243s.

Hope that helps!

black
    1998 chevy S-10

it dose i just found some on craigs list for 400 i think im going to go get them. they only have 40k on them.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

My 07 Silverado came stock with 243's. We put a cam/headers et al in it....those heads flow fine.....

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

Yes LQ9 (317) heads will work and it's a great idea since they drop the compression on your 5.3 to just about 8.6:1 (nice and boost friendly). LQ9's and LQ4's both come with 317 heads which are basically the same as 243 heads except they have a 72cc combustion chamber (the only reason the LQ9 has higher compression is because it runs flat top pistons compared to the dished pistons in the LQ4). That's what I'm doing with my turbo 5.3 build. I'm also running LS9 Head Gaskets and an ls9 cam. I would go with a 44mm WG, some 38mm's have issues with holding low boost. Otherwise your plans sound very good, good luck with the project.

black
    1998 chevy S-10

ok guys things just got interesting i sold the lt-1 the tuned pcm and harness for $950 to some guys in ohio. and also found a 6.0l lq9 with 80k on it for $625 so my 5.3l swap just turned into a boosted 6.0l swap. i should have the engine thursday.

i have some pics how do you post them?

black
    1998 chevy S-10

some pics for yah

OK alittle history here i got this truck for $800 it had some rust a beat up truck box and a 2.2l/automatic. i told myself i was going to leave it alone and drive it the way it was seems how everything i get i feel needs more power or needs to be modified. so here it is as i got it.

well on the drive home i changed my mind that turd of a motor was killing me.

we really like 4 bangers( sorry if i afend anyone)

black
    1998 chevy S-10

ok now for the lt-1 and radio upgrade. like i said i just cant leave anything stock.

building the sub box 3 10's but it was built so if a deside to i could put 3 12's

black
    1998 chevy S-10

Ok now this is what i has done in the past week getting ready for that boosted 6.0l or 5.3l who know im sure im going to hit the 6.0. something about a boosted 6.0l just sounds like a hell of alot of fun. here's some pics from the last week.

well i picked up a southern truck box for $125. off craigslist

now i already put v-8's in about 7 s-10's a few where for nothing but the strip. so it's time to shave some weight and simplify things.

cut the spair tire brace off and gas tank is next.

the evap canister is coming off along with the purge valve.
    i got a set of c5 vett wheels with 315/35/zr17 in the back and 245/45/zr17 front should look nice when i paint the truck and get new rubber.

good thing im going with a 8.5" rear out of a 5.0 explorer its 4" wider but the spring purches don't need to be mod'd

iv done alittle body work replace the 3rd door/and passenger cab corner and test fit the truck box and fuel cell. im a big beleaver in mocking up stuff i hate last minute surprises.

black
    1998 chevy S-10

well like i said above i have a couple of guys coming over to my house tomorrow from ohio to buy my lt-1/trans/pcm for $950. so i had to get on the move and get the motor pulled before i had to go to work today so i have only a couple pics. but thursday i go to pic up my motor and trans.

look at that paint lol looks like i was in a hurry. well not really i had just had surgery on my back so i couldnt get as detailed as i wanted to.

well guys thats all for now i will have more updates soon really soon
    if you have any ideas or sugjestions send them my way. im a very open minded person.

black
    1998 chevy S-10

oh heres alittle preview of some stuff iv done. now i know its not a ls1 but it is mopar and pushing good numbers. please take it easy. i built this motor last winter for my friend keith he has a 64 plymoth savoy running low 10's now it high 9's on a n/a motor
    VIDEO'S (if this works)

the camera died so here are the dyno slips
    2nd run

3rd run

4th or 5th run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information