Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Big Cam, What supporting Mods do i need?

I want to get a Cam set up but im stock all around. any ideas on a good sized cam with that will get me some power..i plan on getting headers, intake and heads in the near future so really the question is can i get a cam to run with stock components with not a lot of trouble?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

it will work. you just wont see near the power that you want.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

thats what i figured but im getting the supporting mods; heads, headers and intake this summer.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

to add to my original post. you will still need to upgrade your valve train and pushrods. but everything else can be stock.. you just wont have good results

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you're a six speed I say get a clutch (Mcleod, Textrailia, Ram), and a rear end (Strange 12 bolt, Moser 9 inch) before getting a head/cam kit

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

You are really going to want to do headers before cam.... also an intake manifold too...
    then yea you can run some of the smaller cams without issue but with larger cams your deffinately going to want pushrods, springs, oil pump, and timing chain...along with your heads

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    I want to get a Cam set up but im stock all around. any ideas on a good sized cam with that will get me some power..i plan on getting headers, intake and heads in the near future so really the question is can i get a cam to run with stock components with not a lot of trouble?
    rather than getting a cam, get a set of long tubes instead and put the cam off 'til summer. it'll be easier install and the results will be better for an otherwise stock motor. if you don't have catback. . .get that too. the amount of stuff you will need for the cam swap: pushrods, springs, cam, tune. . .and the "might as wells" : lifters, timing chain. . .you will spend same/more money than the exhaust upgrade and you wont have the driveability issues.

-set of aftermarket heads will already come with springs to support cam, so you would be wasting your money on springs and a tool if you were to do cam swap now instead of waiting. also, some aftermarket heads requitre different length pushrods. so you could possibly waste more money on stock size and then upgrading them later. a big cam will REQUIRE a tune to get power/run right. your car will want to be tuned w/ long tubes will not be required. save all that money and do head/cam when youre ready.
    Last edited by side2000; 12-16-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

ya im kind of leaning towards just getting headers and an intake and doing the heads and cam this summer. I already 4.10's and i dont plan on doing the rear end until it goes. i do some mild racing maybe 20 times a summer im out at the track and when i drive her on the street 8 out of 10 times im shifting before it hits 3k RPMS.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    rather than getting a cam, get a set of long tubes instead and put the cam off 'til summer. it'll be easier install and the results will be better for an otherwise stock motor. if you don't have catback. . .get that too. the amount of stuff you will need for the cam swap: pushrods, springs, cam, tune. . .and the "might as wells" : lifters, timing chain. . .you will spend same/more money than the exhaust upgrade and you wont have the driveability issues.

-set of aftermarket heads will already come with springs to support cam, so you would be wasting your money on springs and a tool if you were to do cam swap now instead of waiting. also, some aftermarket heads requitre different length pushrods. so you could possibly waste more money on stock size and then upgrading them later. a big cam will REQUIRE a tune to get power/run right. your car will want to be tuned w/ long tubes will not be required. save all that money and do head/cam when youre ready.
    Exactly....

ya im kind of leaning towards just getting headers and an intake and doing the heads and cam this summer. I already 4.10's and i dont plan on doing the rear end until it goes. i do some mild racing maybe 20 times a summer im out at the track and when i drive her on the street 8 out of 10 times im shifting before it hits 3k RPMS.
    panzie....how'd you manage that many infractions with 147 posts?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Exactly....

panzie....how'd you manage that many infractions with 147 posts?
    Lol...i told some guy to eat a dick then i told the moderator to eat a dick then i think he messaged me and i told him to eat a dick there too. lol

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Lol...i told some guy to eat a dick then i told the moderator to eat a dick then i think he messaged me and i told him to eat a dick there too. lol
    point taken.... god and people say I'm a dick for my random links...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Sounds like your a real winner.
    Dont do a cam. Your not ready. Get some LT and a cat back. Then mebbe an intake. Then stop telling people to eat dicks, you might get some more support next time you ask a question.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Sounds like your a real winner.
    Dont do a cam. Your not ready. Get some LT and a cat back. Then mebbe an intake. Then stop telling people to eat dicks, you might get some more support next time you ask a question.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

or if you dont do a search and/or read through any number of threads in the section then you will get an answer like mine which only answers the question and offers so real advice whatsoever

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Nothin like seeing a head and cam car at the track run 12s (or worse) cause he can't launch it properly (stock rear/clutch) to net a decent time.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Nothin like seeing a head and cam car at the track run 12s (or worse) cause he can't launch it properly (stock rear/clutch) to net a decent time.
    That's gonna be me until at least halfway through the summer

red
    2000 camaro ss

well just be the guy tryin to beat his own trap speed record.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

well just be the guy tryin to beat his own trap speed record.
    Trap speed is all that matters! You can know what your car should run even though you may not be able to get it there haha!

Who would listen to you anyway

red
    2000 camaro ss

yea no1 listens to me, or believes what i say. . .everything i say is wrong. . . .and you are really intelligent.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

yea no1 listens to me, or believes what i say. . .everything i say is wrong. . . .and you are really intelligent.
    Finally, you get it!

Thread Information