Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

Big cam driveability

I'm at getting a cam in my car. My mods are in my sig and i will be doing lt's too. I will have the stock heads until i can afford some aftermarket ones. I will be also doing pushrods, lifters, oil pump, timing chain, springs, etc. My car is a daily driver.

I have read quite a bit about them but still have a few questions. I want to go big to get the most power. I'm thinking like 230+ I know with big cams you lose driveability - how exactly does it change??? I'm 18 and don't really care if my car is unrefined or has a rough idle. Will having stock heads limit the size of cam i can have? How big should i go and what kind of power will i get. I'd really love 50+rwhp

Thanks for all the help guys.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

its just gonna fuck your gas mileage and you'll have trouble getting it to idle correctly but i can be done

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Driveability is all in the tune.

Mileage will drop though.

Awaiting Activation
    thanks guys. How big can I / should I go? Not that its a deciding factor, but how bad will my mileage be? I only get about 12 city and 28-29 highway.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Again...depends on the tune.

I was getting 22.5 MPG around town with my Lunati 226/234 554/575 112.
    About 27 MPG on the highway. No tune.

Not doing so well now, but my cam is MUCH larger than that now and I have a couple extra cubes.

Personally, a 224/224 is a great daily driver cam. If you want a little more, the 228/228 works as well.
    Guys have made right around 400 at the wheels with the 224's.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Awaiting Activation
    Thanks! I live close to Speed inc. and will have it tuned there. I'm sure they will do a great job. If i went bigger than a 228 assuming a good tune, what would be bad about a cam that big besides mileage. Shouldn't i go as big as i can? How much more power would i get with a 238 over a 228?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It isn't always size that makes the car a better track car.

The T-Rex and like cams make great power and perform well, but they are pushing the limits of the stock motor when it comes to piston to valve clearance.
    If I was going to cam a stock cubed LS1 again...I would probably go with a 228. Good driveabililty, good power, sounds good....but isn't too crazy.

It is up to you.
    Picking a cam based on size isn't the way to go though. Pick one that fits your needs.
    Hell...call SpeedInc and ask them. I am sure they would be more than happy to help you pick a cam. Just make sure you know what you want from the car.
    Are you looking for a mean street car? Track car?? Sounds like a daily driver, make sure to mention that.

Awaiting Activation
    Thanks for your help! I'll give speed inc. a call

Yeah its my daily driver. I want a mean street car but i go to the track a few times a year.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I myself have a Comp Cams 224/224 .581/.581 on a 112 lsa. mods and dyno results are in my sig. If the car is going to be a daily driver after the cam install get a good tune and I would suggest either a 228 or 232 cam. anything larger for a stock Ls1 will be pushing the limits. In terms of gas mileage, I can litterally see it drop after driving 40 miles, but I don't care. the 112 lsa gives it a good lope at idle and it screams up to 6600rpm. I good set of header (if allowed in your area) will really wake up you cam even more. If a 228 or a 232 aren't what you are looking for, have the place make you a custom grind cam to your specs. also, the lower the lsa the more off idle drivability becomes an issue. I would not go lower than a 112. so 114 or 112 lsa are a couple options for you to look at as well. don't forget to look at where the power starts to kick in with the cam that you decide to go with. do you want some low rpm to kick in, or over 3000. do your research before you buy anything.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    I myself have a Comp Cams 224/224 .581/.581 on a 112 lsa. mods and dyno results are in my sig. If the car is going to be a daily driver after the cam install get a good tune and I would suggest either a 228 or 232 cam. anything larger for a stock Ls1 will be pushing the limits. In terms of gas mileage, I can litterally see it drop after driving 40 miles, but I don't care. the 112 lsa gives it a good lope at idle and it screams up to 6600rpm. I good set of header (if allowed in your area) will really wake up you cam even more. If a 228 or a 232 aren't what you are looking for, have the place make you a custom grind cam to your specs. also, the lower the lsa the more off idle drivability becomes an issue. I would not go lower than a 112. so 114 or 112 lsa are a couple options for you to look at as well. don't forget to look at where the power starts to kick in with the cam that you decide to go with. do you want some low rpm to kick in, or over 3000. do your research before you buy anything.
    Thanks! Ya i'm getting LT's too. So you got only 24hp from the cam. How much extra will LT's give you? If you dyno it again with the Lt's let me know because my setup will be similar.

Awaiting Activation
    Also, is it safe to take your car to 6600 rpms? The think the stock rev limiter is 6100 or something. I know that can be changed wit a tune.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The hard part....

Every car is different. Just because one car gained 24 RWHP doesn't mean you will gain that number. It may be real close to that number, or it might be 15 RWHP. Maybe more.
    You have to pick what you want.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

redline = 6200 rpm's

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    So you got only 24hp from the cam..
    only 24 rwhp...lol with that small of a cam 24 rwhp and 14rwtq is not to be over looked. I'm not sure what my new numbers will be so I will be modest and think that since I will have less restriction that will allow the cam to exspell the gases better maybe 25rwhp. I can say for sure. the LT's with the intake and a tune maybe 35rwhp. I won't know for sure until I can get them in.

I got the car tuned and they raised my rev limit to 6600rpm. the cam and all the supporting mods allowed for me to do that. I shift around 6200-6300 so I don't over-rev and send a pushrod through a valve. that would suck...

Once I get everything installed and tuned, I will post the results in my sig...

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

what you need to do is save some money so you can to it all at one time. You are going to waste alot of money and time doing it twice... write out a plan for the build and then save and go from there.
    402 C.I. Engine:Magic Stick V.4 Cam,LPA Custom Ported Polished Heads,Custom Ported and Polished Throttle Body,Spec 13 Lbs. Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch System,Pro 5.0 Tower, 4.10s

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

35 RWHP FROM AN INTAKE LT'S AND CAM......NAW..your stock heads are still good to make alot of power...long tubes, tune intake and cam should net more like 70 to 80 rwhp depending on cam selection. dont put a small ass cam if you want hp. do it right the first time and youll be happy.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by unnatural aspirations View Post
    35 RWHP FROM AN INTAKE LT'S AND CAM......NAW..your stock heads are still good to make alot of power...long tubes, tune intake and cam should net more like 70 to 80 rwhp depending on cam selection. dont put a small ass cam if you want hp. do it right the first time and youll be happy.
    I wasn't looking for serious power. I wanted power under the curve so I wasn't going to get caught up in peak numbers. I have already gained 25rwhp with the cam and tune, and I figured another 35 with intake (ls6) and the LT's. if i were to get that 35rwhp then that little cam, LT's, intake and tune got me 60rwhp and i'll be happy w/that.

I suggested to him that going to a 228 or a 232 would give him noticabily more gains that my 224. I was stating to him that 25rwhp with that small of a cam isn't bad. Just trying to give him something to go off of in terms of cam specs, etc, even though not all cars/cams will produce the same results...

Awaiting Activation
    yep thanks sound like i'll be looking at 228 or a 232

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You will enjoy it.

I would stay around the 228.

Awaiting Activation
    I won't be getting it right away, but when i do i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thread Information