Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

Best Nitrous Cam. suggestions

After spending far over $1,000 on my nitrous setup I want a Camshaft that will compliment the spray. As of now the only speciality cam i've seen is Thunder Racing's 99-TR224/227-114 camshaft.
    Are there any good cam's specifically for nitrous applications? I've got a good month to pick a cam but I would like to get it figured out soon.

*NOTE*
    This is a DD and im not looking for anything too insane. Then again after doing the install I dont want some queer cam that's barely more noticeable than the stock one.

Thanks in advance,
    Rich

EDIT* - im not a full bolt-on maro but I can't pass up an oppurtunity like this(It's a graduation present). !
    2000 Z28 m6
    Current Mods-GMMG catback-UMI Diamond SFC's-Pacesetter LT's-ORY-HSW Wet Shot-Pro 5.0-Rebuilt Race Trans-Spec3+-Pacesetter LT's-FRA mod-TBBypass-Whisper Lid-

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

No advice?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

226/230 is my pick
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Get the TSP Magic Stick.... and do a search for god's sake.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shift_down
    Get the TSP Magic Stick.... and do a search for god's sake.
    PLEASE!!! I did do a search and turned up nothing. Everything that showed up had my question exactly, and it was never answered. So I figured i'd give it a shot.

Check this out, THERE IS NO BEST CAM, simply because everyones requirements are different. It all depends on what you want, therefore, only you can determine what the best cam is FOR YOU. With that said, read these...

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=19218

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=52620

Generally, any cam with more exhaust duration than intake will be good for nos. TSP's magic stick is very popular for nitrous engines, and even has shown huge gains on NA vehicles.

IMO, anything over 228 is leaving the "mild" nomenclature and moving towards the "wild" category, more like a medium cam.

Your gonna want to upgrade your valvetrain, oil pump, and fuel system (the latter is probably already taken care of, w/ a $1K nos kit) and, invest in a wideband.

Most cams can be daily driven if the tuning is right. Tuning is key!! w/ the exception of some extreme race cams.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the g5x3 is a cam alot of people recommend for it. they say it takes the spray very well. Instead of getting an off the shelf grind, find out what your ultimate goals are and how much you want to sacrifice as far as normal driving. Afterall, you're not going to be spraying 24/7. Get something custom. it'll cost the same as an off the shelf, but made to work with your setup. Thats my opinion and take on it.

Torrd Red
    04 Pontiac GTO

I am running a 224/224 comp cam(SI3 224/224 .581/.581/114 with my spray. 150 dry shot. It seems to work well with my GTO. but there is a lot more I want to do.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

if your running a 175 or less, you can run most any off the shelf cam. when u get into the bigger shots is when you should run a real custom cam for your setup. If your the occasional sprayer, then get something thats going to do you good N/A. It will work with spray.

Youll also want a nitrous controller. Like the one you get from harris speedworks. The timing must be retarded while you spray nitrous, but you may not want that during normal driving. So, with the controller, you can have a tune for driving, and then just go into nos mode and have fun. Again, youll still need a capable Dyno tuner technician.

Thread Information