Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Best Mild Cam for DD ls1???

This is a discussion on Best Mild Cam for DD ls1??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Calico The hotcam is an Excellent cam. IMO one of the best bang for buck cams out ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    The hotcam is an Excellent cam. IMO one of the best bang for buck cams out there, bolt-on, good hp (within 10 hp of the 224)...another internet myth proven wrong.
    Ya I'm not knockin' the hot cam,,,I had it in an LT1 car a few years back with only long tube headers and a tune and ran 12's at 108 mph with that car all day long. I just don't jump on the internet bandwagon everytime someone says something is junk or no good. It's the internet, full of kids that are misguided, or don't have the experience themselves.

I am sure there are other great cams out there, personally though, I only go the custom ground camshaft route anymore,,,cost is the same and they taylor it nearly perfect for the combo and what you want to accomplish. Been doing it this way for several years now with great results.

You can only expect so much from any "off the shelf" camshaft. It's only as good as the rest of the combo that supports it.

Red
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    why dont you line up with a 224 car with the same mods as you outside of cam.
    after you inhale the fumes from the 224 car, post back.

you did a dyno pull after you installed the cam yet no tuning?
    was it back to back pulls or just a single?
    I'll take that bet any day of the week and twice on Sundays. You do know some people can't drive right????????????????????

Not that it's any of your business, but yes i did a dyno. I have a friend who owns a shop and he lets me dyno it whenever i want. I WILL get a tune after the ls6 intake install. That most likely will put my waaay past a 224. I guess you missed that in a previous post.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

I'll take that bet any day of the week and twice on Sundays. You do know some people can't drive right????????????????????

Not that it's any of your business, but yes i did a dyno. I have a friend who owns a shop and he lets me dyno it whenever i want. I WILL get a tune after the ls6 intake install. That most likely will put my waaay past a 224. I guess you missed that in a previous post.
    now hotcams are making more power than 224s, thats a good one.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    98 Z28

now hotcams are making more power than 224s, thats a good one.
    All i have to say is 31 hp, hotcam, 1s1 intake, asp underdrive..next up to be installed: bbk80, ls6 intake, vinci tune..guess what? That number is going go up..Alot..I could care less if you like it or not, if you haven't owned one please don't bash it.....224's are not the cure all for cams as some of you want everyone to believe. The hotcam is tried and true and still running neck and neck with the "high tech" 224's.

31 (hotcam) vs 39 (224)...you're making a lot of fuss over 8hp.
    Last edited by Calico; 11-26-2007 at 07:10 AM.

black

All i have to say is 31 hp, hotcam, 1s1 intake, asp underdrive..next up to be installed: bbk80, ls6 intake, vinci tune..guess what? That number is going go up..Alot..I could care less if you like it or not, if you haven't owned one please don't bash it.....224's are not the cure all for cams as some of you want everyone to believe. The hotcam is tried and true and still running neck and neck with the "high tech" 224's.

31 (hotcam) vs 39 (224)...you're making a lot of fuss over 8hp.
    im not talking only about peak power, its under the curve power where its at.

Red
    98 Z28

im not talking only about peak power, its under the curve power where its at.
    I'm curious, what is your experience with the hotcam? Have you ever had one before or you just saying it's horrible because you heard a friend of a friend had one and couldn't get it to work? Very curious on this one. I'm happy with mine in every way.

black

I'm curious, what is your experience with the hotcam? Have you ever had one before or you just saying it's horrible because you heard a friend of a friend had one and couldn't get it to work? Very curious on this one. I'm happy with mine in every way.
    im looking at the dyno sheets and peoples times when it comes to the hotcam.
    none of the locals here(chicago) have gotten anything smaller than a 224.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Calico, What kind of numbers are you putting down right now with the hotcam? Do you not have longtubes yet? I am just curious about the power because I am running a Thunder Racing 224 cam and interested in what kind of power you are making. Once you get longtubes and the ls6 intake, we will have the same mods, and am interested to see your numbers to compare. Would be a good comparison, I think.
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS M6
    Thunder Racing 224/224 .563/.563 112 LSA
    FLP longtube headers (No cats) and y pipe
    GMMG catback
    Underdrive pulley
    LS1 motorsports lid
    PRO 5.0 with Lous Short stick
    Lower control arms,adjustable panhard bar, subframe connectors.
    NITTO 555RII's

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

im puttin down 444/395 with my Comp 224 .581 @112 and supporting mods...

track times arent hot since i cant hook and still being on the 10-bolt are limiting me bigtime. i went 8.3 @93mph spinning, 2 wks ago at Denton Raceway in Denton, TX...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedWorld View Post
    Calico, What kind of numbers are you putting down right now with the hotcam? Do you not have longtubes yet? I am just curious about the power because I am running a Thunder Racing 224 cam and interested in what kind of power you are making. Once you get longtubes and the ls6 intake, we will have the same mods, and am interested to see your numbers to compare. Would be a good comparison, I think.
    Well as long as the same dyno is used with same correction factors. Numbers will vary from car to car as well. You may get a ball park idea but since everyone is in a different area, different elevation, different dyno's used, as well as someones expertise in tuning,,,etc.....There just won't be any concrete comparison.

black

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well as long as the same dyno is used with same correction factors. Numbers will vary from car to car as well. You may get a ball park idea but since everyone is in a different area, different elevation, different dyno's used, as well as someones expertise in tuning,,,etc.....There just won't be any concrete comparison.
    very true with above.
    also lets not forget some people pad their numbers

very true with above.
    also lets not forget some people pad their numbers
    Ya your right. I have seen so many variances on dyno numbers with what was a very similar combo.

My fathers recent engine is a good example,,,using an engine dyno made by DTS a few months back that has a reputation for being very conservative his 455 pontiac made only 501 HP but after it was installed and tuned in his 69 GTO that weighs 3,900 lbs. it runs 11.0's at 120 mph. Doing the math most Dyno operators will tell you it takes quite a bit more HP than 500 to run a trap speed like that in a 3,900 lbs. car,,,,but it doesn't matter so long as you keep using the same dyno for your tuning and parts comparison info so the numbers stay consistent,,,,know what I mean?

Red
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedWorld View Post
    Good...right now my mods are: hotcam, flowtech longtubes & y, borla catback, whisper airlid, ASP pulley, Granatelli 85mm (another internet myth that works great if used properly), UMI subframes, K&N airfilter...(363.2hp), next up bbk 80mm, vinci tuner, ls6 intake...goal is 400, but will be happy with 390.

any info on the 228 cam? Would a 228/114 work in a daily driver?

black

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGTO View Post
    any info on the 228 cam? Would a 228/114 work in a daily driver?
    alot of happy 228 owners here. just type in 228 cam into search.
    a 228 would work fine for DD with a 114 lsa.

I just thought since the topic was "mild cam for a DD" I could get some input from the 228 owners. Any 228 owner would like to chime in?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Not that it's any of your business, but yes i did a dyno. I have a friend who owns a shop and he lets me dyno it whenever i want.
    From someone who's never raced their car you sure seem pretty confident. I'm in MD. I'll meet you at MIR or Capitol whenever. My 224 with only Mac midlegnth headers made 372hp. 372>363

Red
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    From someone who's never raced their car you sure seem pretty confident. I'm in MD. I'll meet you at MIR or Capitol whenever. My 224 with only Mac midlegnth headers made 372hp. 372>363
    I'll glady accept your challenge. The 04 Mystichrome Cobra (kenne belle) needs a workout. The 98 is a dd and not raced. I think you missed that fact.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'll glady accept your challenge. The 04 Mystichrome Cobra (kenne belle) needs a workout. The 98 is a dd and not raced. I think you missed that fact.

Red
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Scrap those pennies together...$3,000 or shutup.....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information