Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Best Mild Cam for DD ls1???

This is a discussion on Best Mild Cam for DD ls1??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; That cam would work just fine with the stock heads. These LS1 heads with 15 degree valve angles work nice ...

That cam would work just fine with the stock heads. These LS1 heads with 15 degree valve angles work nice in stock form, which is the whole reason these LS1's run so good in the first place,,but there is always more to be had. Ported heads will make more power but it depends on how much money you want to spend. There are companies out there with stock long block LS1's (cam only) running in the 10's if I'm not mistaken,,,,that says a little something.

I personally have also been staring at this 224/.581 cam myself for a while now. Tame enough that it wouldn't be a valve spring killer and drive like a stocker. I have pretty much made up my mind this is what I will go with for my driver but with a little twist compared to what has been mentioned here so far. I want mine with around 116 degree lobe separation for a baby smooth idle. Would work real nice with an automatic and wouldn't be absolutely necessary to have a $900 converter right away. Make a nice sleeper if you can call an LS1 a sleeper,,,lol..

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

good explanation larry!

i think it should also be noted that its probably a good idea to get a stall for you a4 guys as nhra mentioned and you would also benefit greatly from some gears. ive heard 3.73s work well with this cam but im not educated enough in any area to know for sure.

my set up for reference will be the 224 with some 4.11s.

what gears do you a4 guys like in the milder duration cams such as 224? i know it has alot to do with the stall speed but i know gears can be a major factor in e.t.

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    its a smoother idle.
    Is yours a comp cam? Ive been leaning toward this cam for some time now with the 114 lsa for idle sake.

If I pulled up next to you at a light, would it be obvious you had a cam done at idle?

Im guessing stock springs wouldnt be a good idea though... What all would I need to buy with this cam (Im using stock heads btw) springs, pushrods?

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluez28 View Post
    Is yours a comp cam? Ive been leaning toward this cam for some time now with the 114 lsa for idle sake.

If I pulled up next to you at a light, would it be obvious you had a cam done at idle?

Im guessing stock springs wouldnt be a good idea though... What all would I need to buy with this cam (Im using stock heads btw) springs, pushrods?
    if i can attempt to answer...you would hardly notice he had a cam depending upon his exhaust set up. the 114 is the same seperation as the stock cam i believe, though i could be wrong.

comp 918 springs are always a good idea, and chromoly pushrods as well are a beneficial thing. you can save money by ordering a cam package from texas speed and get everything you need.

also as a preventative and beneficial measure, you should get a new oil pump and a timing chain set. the norm is the ported ls6 oil pump and the ls2 timing chain, both very good buys.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    shit or get off the pot boy!!

or sell one to me!!!
    haha

the 224 cam is spoken for unless the guy who got dibs to buy it backs out...

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    when you do the 224, is it a must to replace the heads, or can you get by with just the cam,spring swap untill you get the money to crack into buying the heads
    no you do not need to do heads when you do a cam, but if you have the moeny and come across a good H/C package then it would make sense to have/do all the work at once and then get the car tuned...

if you pulled up next to him, no. if you pulled up next to me, yes. but lets not forget it's also where your idle is set as, as well...

you would want/have to upgrade to dual springs, titainum bases, locks, bases, retainers, hardened pushrods, ls6 oil pump and Ls2 timing chain...

Pewter
    2000 z28

so when's the next track outing brian??

arent you anxious to get a 12 and 11 second time slip???

if i dont atleast break a 12.99 as i sit im going to be very pissed. and it has to be on street tires or im not going to be satisfied either....

jk about the cam....unless the guy happens to take an extremely unfortunate fall that lands him off his feet for a few...months.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I ordered a h/c package that includes the pushrods and all the other necessary goodies!

good explanation larry!

i think it should also be noted that its probably a good idea to get a stall for you a4 guys as nhra mentioned and you would also benefit greatly from some gears. ive heard 3.73s work well with this cam but im not educated enough in any area to know for sure.

my set up for reference will be the 224 with some 4.11s.

what gears do you a4 guys like in the milder duration cams such as 224? i know it has alot to do with the stall speed but i know gears can be a major factor in e.t.
    Yes a converter works great even in stock LS1's, up to 1/2 second reduction in 1/4 mile times is what most people report. I am a little hesitant at the moment to throw one in mine. Kinda waiting to see how much the 4l60 can take before something lets go,,,then give me a good reason to rebuild it and do a converter at that time. I would still go with a wide 116 lobe seperation for a smooth stock idle to make the car a pleasure to drive,,,,stock camshaft is around 117 degrees for reference. I already have a another car with a .640 roller and 248 degrees at .050 on 108 lobe centers that shakes me to death if I feel the need to drive something that makes noise.

As far as gears with the auto,,,,mine has the factory 3.23's and I plain to stick with them,,,,just for the simple reason that I am not interested in seeing how quick I can make the car go,,,I have another car for that. It's all personal preference and how much a person is willing to give up driveability for the sake of going faster.

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    I ordered a h/c package that includes the pushrods and all the other necessary goodies!
    Good move,,,although your wallet is lighter, it will put a smile on your face when you drive it

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

hell yeah! i've gotta wait another three months to drive it, but i will definitely let everyone know how the 1/4 times improved over stock and how it drives. I also ordered some suspension stuff and m/t's to go with it.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

yes comp cams.
    even with a 114 lsa cam, you can hear some lope. i also have long tubes minus cats, so my car isnt the most quiet.
    youll need new spring and hardened push rods.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

shit or get off the pot boy!!

or sell one to me!!!

yeah i wouldnt put a hotcam in an ls1, just because there are so many better choices out there than that. and its alittle funny to say gm knows more about their cars thatn aftermarket tuners. id like to see gm build a 6 second strip car that will run with wheel to wheel's monster.

anyway, the 224 is the cam i want and its a beauty. small enough to remain very very civil and when combined with the right heads has the potential to put you in the 11s. nhra formula im very impressed with that 12 flat and im interested to know what else you have done....

the centers its ground on is all up to personal preference. i would either go 112 or 114 and they both have great idles. from what ive seen one of the best all around cams for dd is the 224 with a nice set of heads. 11s with 224 duration.....whos laughing now ms4 worshipers??

comp cam 224/ 224 581/581 114 lsa
    pacesetter LTs
    hooker catback
    tci streetfighter 3000 stall
    volant cai
    ls6 intake
    tuning.
    i have new tires and will have new times when it cools down alittle in the late summer.
    i can hook now and know for sure ill be in the 11s.
    the car is tame as hell to drive around town with also.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    comp cam 224/ 224 581/581 114 lsa
    pacesetter LTs
    hooker catback
    tci streetfighter 3000 stall
    volant cai
    ls6 intake
    tuning.
    i have new tires and will have new times when it cools down alittle in the late summer.
    i can hook now and know for sure ill be in the 11s.
    the car is tame as hell to drive around town with also.
    wow!! that is awesome!

no suspension?? what do you 60?

black

wow!! that is awesome!

no suspension?? what do you 60?
    only sub frames. on the nittos i did low 1.70s
    on the bfg tires im guessing high 1.60s

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That cam would work just fine with the stock heads. These LS1 heads with 15 degree valve angles work nice in stock form, which is the whole reason these LS1's run so good in the first place,,but there is always more to be had. Ported heads will make more power but it depends on how much money you want to spend. There are companies out there with stock long block LS1's (cam only) running in the 10's if I'm not mistaken,,,,that says a little something.

I personally have also been staring at this 224/.581 cam myself for a while now. Tame enough that it wouldn't be a valve spring killer and drive like a stocker. I have pretty much made up my mind this is what I will go with for my driver but with a little twist compared to what has been mentioned here so far. I want mine with around 116 degree lobe separation for a baby smooth idle. Would work real nice with an automatic and wouldn't be absolutely necessary to have a $900 converter right away. Make a nice sleeper if you can call an LS1 a sleeper,,,lol..

hey thanks man, that was some great advice... i know that aftermarket heads will help a lot... but i just kind of want the hoppy sound of a 112 lsa in there and keep it under 2 grand... luckily i have an m6

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

hey thanks man, that was some great advice... i know that aftermarket heads will help a lot... but i just kind of want the hoppy sound of a 112 lsa in there and keep it under 2 grand... luckily i have an m6
    luckily TSP has you covered...

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp

their TR 224 cam has a little lower lift, either a .561, .563, or .568 (i dont remember which one), but can still be ordered w/a 112lsa. you just need to specify that when ordering...

i left out the timing chain, oil pump, and gaskets because you can get all of those parts cheaper just by looking around...

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    luckily TSP has you covered...

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp

their TR 224 cam has a little lower lift, either a .561, .563, or .568 (i dont remember which one), but can still be ordered w/a 112lsa. you just need to specify that when ordering...

i left out the timing chain, oil pump, and gaskets because you can get all of those parts cheaper just by looking around...
    thanks bro... now does anybody know how to get your sig to show up instead of checking the box everytime you post?
    '02 Silver WS6 M6 Conversion Date - Mar 22, 2002 #6970, Pacesetter LT's, Nitto 555R DR's
    8.1125 @ 87.79 60' = 1.9377 R/T .0492
    353.5 RWHP 366.4 FT LBS
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MQBSqgNLI4k
    TSP 231/237 112+2 LSA donations for install please

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

thanks bro... now does anybody know how to get your sig to show up instead of checking the box everytime you post?
    your sig only appears once per page. so, use it wisely...

Silver

yeah but mine doesnt even show up once unless i check the box

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

yeah but mine doesnt even show up once unless i check the box
    that's how ED defaulted the setup. personally i like it. its not cluttered and page load time isnt slowed by seeing everyones SIG everytime they post like over on 'tech'...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information