Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 196

Best Mild Cam for DD ls1???

This is a discussion on Best Mild Cam for DD ls1??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; After im done with all bolt on's, I know Im going to want a mild cam. Nothing thats going to ...

  1. #1
    Member 02bluez28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    35
    Posts
    129

    Blue
    2002 Z-28

    Best Mild Cam for DD ls1???

    After im done with all bolt on's, I know Im going to want a mild cam. Nothing thats going to totally kill My mpg as its my DD. Just want to be able to hang with New GTO's or cobras.

    Would a stock ls6 cam be a good choise?
    Or like and old man cam from thunder racing?
    Help me with some options guys!
    thx

  2. #2
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    the 224/224 is the king of DD. i have one and couldnt be more happy!
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    71

    Red
    98 Z28

    I'm in the same boat, but the GM hotcam is appealing more and more to me lately. I've heard it on a LS1 and it sounds pretty wicked. Plus, i'm not looking for an all out race car, just a fun daily driver.

  4. #4
    Member 02bluez28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    35
    Posts
    129

    Blue
    2002 Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    the 224/224 is the king of DD. i have one and couldnt be more happy!
    did you have to get a stall whith this cam? also, how much did just the cam effect your MPG?

  5. #5
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    i had a stall before the cam. when camming a auto trans car you should get a stall. the cam really hasnt effected mpg much at all, maybe 2-3 mpg if that.

    you may want to get a stall first, its the best upgrade you can do to an A4 car. you can easily shave .5 tenths and still be totally DD.
    i have a tci streetfighter 3000 rpm stall. it drives alot like stock. if a non gearhead drove my car, they would never know it was stalled.

  6. #6
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I'm in the same boat, but the GM hotcam is appealing more and more to me lately. I've heard it on a LS1 and it sounds pretty wicked. Plus, i'm not looking for an all out race car, just a fun daily driver.
    a 224/224 with a 112 lsa will cackle just as much, yet more performance.
    when doing a cam, its not cheap. you want to get nothing smaller than a 224 simply because youll be pissed at the lack of power gains.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    165

    Mag Red
    2002 Vette

    I have the VHP 056 cam in my MN6 car. Little chop to the idle but basically designed for an A4 car. It is a good sleeper cam. I made 40hp with this little cam. Specs are 216/224 0.551/0.551 115 LSA. Ramps are a little slower so the typical sewing machine noise isn't there either. There is 5 degrees of advance ground in so the power comes on early and peaks at about 6,000 RPM.

  8. #8
    Member chieftransam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    382

    Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

    I'm going with a 224 with a 581 lift 112 lsa to go with my stage 2 ported heads

  9. #9
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
    I have the VHP 056 cam in my MN6 car. Little chop to the idle but basically designed for an A4 car. It is a good sleeper cam. I made 40hp with this little cam. Specs are 216/224 0.551/0.551 115 LSA. Ramps are a little slower so the typical sewing machine noise isn't there either. There is 5 degrees of advance ground in so the power comes on early and peaks at about 6,000 RPM.
    very good daily cam to have. if you want a little more thump out of it, then go with the 055. same cam, but on a 113LSA instead of 115LSA
    http://vincihighperformance.com/CAMS...%20LS1%202.htm

  10. #10
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    I'm going with a 224 with a 581 lift 112 lsa to go with my stage 2 ported heads
    i have the same cam, only on a 114 lsa, great cam!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    71

    Red
    98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    a 224/224 with a 112 lsa will cackle just as much, yet more performance.
    when doing a cam, its not cheap. you want to get nothing smaller than a 224 simply because youll be pissed at the lack of power gains.
    I'll still take the hotcam...GM designed it, and i'm sure they know more about their own cars then some 3rd party tuner. There are quite a few people deep in the 11's with the hotcam.
    Last edited by Calico; 07-17-2007 at 06:06 PM.

  12. #12
    Member 02bluez28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    35
    Posts
    129

    Blue
    2002 Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i have the same cam, only on a 114 lsa, great cam!
    What did you pick up on the dyno with just the cam swap? How do you like the 114 lsa for a DD?

  13. #13
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    my personal opinion is, get a stall, and go bigger than a ls6 cam... if you're in there and spending that kind of money.. it doesnt really cost any extra to go bigger while you are in there as long as you dont go toooo much bigger

  14. #14
    Member chieftransam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    382

    Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i have the same cam, only on a 114 lsa, great cam!


    Are you glad you have the 114 lsa over the 112 lsa? I know you said you have it but why did you chose 114 over 112?

  15. #15
    Member danziger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    570

    Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

    I have to agree with the 224 cams. They are proven and put up good numbers without compromising drivability.

  16. #16
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I'll still take the hotcam...GM designed it, and i'm sure they know more about their own cars then some 3rd party tuner. There are quite a few people deep in the 11's with the hotcam.
    only a new guy would say above. i suggest you do your homework with cams.

  17. #17
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    Are you glad you have the 114 lsa over the 112 lsa? I know you said you have it but why did you chose 114 over 112?
    its a smoother idle.

  18. #18
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    i run the same cam as NHRAFormula except with a 112lsa...

    its a Comp Cam Grind: 224/224 .581/.581@112lsa. i chose the narrower lsa since i wanted a nice chop at idle and to also have a cam that produces a nice long and flat TQ curve. it's a great under the curve cam that when combined with the other mods i have done, really screams. though i might not have 1/4 miles times that NHRA does (i need practice), this cam has impressed me beyond what i thought possible. so much infact, that i have delayed installing the TSP 231/237 .598/.595@112+2lsa cam that i have been sitting on for 6 months now...

  19. #19
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i run the same cam as NHRAFormula except with a 112lsa...

    its a Comp Cam Grind: 224/224 .581/.581@112lsa. i chose the narrower lsa since i wanted a nice chop at idle and to also have a cam that produces a nice long and flat TQ curve. it's a great under the curve cam that when combined with the other mods i have done, really screams. though i might not have 1/4 miles times that NHRA does (i need practice), this cam has impressed me beyond what i thought possible. so much infact, that i have delayed installing the TSP 231/237 .598/.595@112+2lsa cam that i have been sitting on for 6 months now...
    shit or get off the pot boy!!

    or sell one to me!!!

    yeah i wouldnt put a hotcam in an ls1, just because there are so many better choices out there than that. and its alittle funny to say gm knows more about their cars thatn aftermarket tuners. id like to see gm build a 6 second strip car that will run with wheel to wheel's monster.

    anyway, the 224 is the cam i want and its a beauty. small enough to remain very very civil and when combined with the right heads has the potential to put you in the 11s. nhra formula im very impressed with that 12 flat and im interested to know what else you have done....

    the centers its ground on is all up to personal preference. i would either go 112 or 114 and they both have great idles. from what ive seen one of the best all around cams for dd is the 224 with a nice set of heads. 11s with 224 duration.....whos laughing now ms4 worshipers??

  20. #20
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    when you do the 224, is it a must to replace the heads, or can you get by with just the cam,spring swap untill you get the money to crack into buying the heads

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. some mild entertainment.... lol
    By suede in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM
  2. Help: What gains can i get with mild cam?
    By mglangley21 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 03:50 PM
  3. Mild Knock
    By robert 98 in forum General Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 05:57 AM
  4. looking for a mild cam
    By 00maroz28 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 08:08 PM
  5. mild cam horsepower?
    By 69camarokid in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •