Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

Best Heads, Cam, Intake, etc.

what would be the best for those 3 things above?? i also wanna know if gettin a mass air flow is worth it?? do i need to upgrade my OEM coil packs, plug wires, etc.. or anything else. iam getting a set of LT's an a off-road y-pipe, is that good?? what else should i do??

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What is your budget?
    What are your plans for your car?
    Is this a M6 or auto?
    Is it a daily driver?

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    What is your budget?
    Is this a M6 or auto?
    Is it a daily driver?
    dont have a budget.
    i just want it to be badass.
    M6
    Yes

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

What is your budget?
    Is this a M6 or auto?
    Is it a daily driver?
    do you have any mods done on your 35th??

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS SLP View Post
    what would be the best for those 3 things above?? i also wanna know if gettin a mass air flow is worth it?? do i need to upgrade my OEM coil packs, plug wires, etc.. or anything else. iam getting a set of LT's an a off-road y-pipe, is that good?? what else should i do??
    I would say no 0n the maf....& suggest you do poly motor mounts when you do the headers!.....stock coil pack is fine, will need diff. plug wires w/headers

too much to awnser!!! ha ha!! but hope this helps some!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I personally like AFR for heads. Also, don't touch your MAF. Don't port it, de-screen it, etc. Leave it alone. It will be plenty good enough for what you plan on doing to your car.

As far as cams, there are sooooo many to choose from. A lot of people here like the MS3 and Torquer v2. You can call someone like Compcams or Texas Speed and tell them what you want and they can even make you a custom grind. I personally am not too up to speed (yet) on cams so ask plenty of questions and do your research. What I can tell you is that you don't want too big of a cam if this is your DD.

Do you have supporting drive-train and suspension mods to handle the power you plan on making?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

do you have any mods done on your 35th??
    A couple Not done yet.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

A couple Not done yet.
    thanks for the advice, but what all can i do without pulling the motor, cuz i think i just wanna do intake, TB, tune, LT's and thats it. can i do all of that without pulling the motor?? and what suspension mods should i do??

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Depends on your budget and what you plan on doing with the car. Most people get sub-frame connectors, lower control arms with relocation brackets to start. I also got shocks, springs, and a torque arm for my set-up.

You can do everything you mentioned, including heads and cam without pulling the motor.

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

Depends on your budget and what you plan on doing with the car. Most people get sub-frame connectors, lower control arms with relocation brackets to start. I also got shocks, springs, and a torque arm for my set-up.

You can do everything you mentioned, including heads and cam without pulling the motor.
    what those be good things to do for starters though?? the stuff i said above??

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

dont have a budget.
    i just want it to be badass.
    M6
    Yes
    Does "don't have a budget" mean that you have no money to spend or infinite?

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    well i dont have infante but i meani got some money

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Good question.

OP - This stuff can add up "quick". I have 12K wrapped up in mine and haven't touched the motor yet.

A good start for M6 guys is LTs, ORY, exhaust, and a lid. Also, first suspension mod (and some/most say even your first mod) should be SFCs.

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

Good question.

OP - This stuff can add up "quick". I have 12K wrapped up in mine and haven't touched the motor yet.

A good start for M6 guys is LTs, ORY, exhaust, and a lid. Also, first suspension mod (and some/most say even your first mod) should be SFCs.
    thanks man

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

TSP custom grinds: 230(.615" XFI) / 230(.604" XFI) 112lsa , or a 230(.615" XFI) / 236(.607" XFI) 112lsa .

black
    1999 camaro SS

build your car around your cam..
    once you know your cam then you know what heads then you'll know how much air you'll need to feed it. once you can ball park in your head how much power you'll get from those things then you'll know what kind of drivetrain and suspension mods you'll need to back them up.

my personal preference with cams is go big or go home lol

black
    1999 camaro SS

for example, I know that I'm going to use TRex, so right now I'm saving money because I'm planning to cash out big on suspension which I'll need when I finaly do get to tearing into my engine

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    build your car around your cam..
    once you know your cam then you know what heads then you'll know how much air you'll need to feed it. once you can ball park in your head how much power you'll get from those things then you'll know what kind of drivetrain and suspension mods you'll need to back them up.

my personal preference with cams is go big or go home lol
    agree 100% for the heads/intake and if you are a a4 the stall. but everything else suspension etc should be done regardless

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

to the OP ..there is no best H/C/I ..the choice is completely dependent on several factors ...it is however kind of standard that if you are going with a composite intake the FAST 90, 92, or 102mm intakes are the best for mild to heavily modded (i.e make sure you have your bolt ons taken care of and have a head and cam picked out) the FAST series comes in cathedral port (ls1,ls2,ls6,lq9,lq4 etc heads), rectangle port (L92,ls3) and raised rectangle (ls7). so depending on if you are going to stick with your ls1 or not will dictate your intake choice 90% of the time.

For the MAF..remember that the maf will become a restriction point if you go with a 90mm+ TB and intake ...now most of the time this is not a large problem and only costs you in the range of 5-10rwhp (according to my research).

If you are not modded just yet and plan on doing this stuff in mass ..then look into a 100mm+ intake lid while you are at it ..the gains will be minimal but if you might as well ya know.

for heads it is also standard that AFR,Trickflow, and et performance are the top of the line. Do your research and spec out some cams and see which head/heads will work the best with the cam.

for the cam you have a plethora of options. I would suggest finding Patrick G and having him spec a cam for your needs...if you need help finding him send me a PM.

you can also call comp cams , or some well known shops and have them spec your cam.

i wont get into the supporting mods ..i.e bolt ons, suspension, drive-train ....but remember you need it ..500rwhp is cool on a dyno..but useless on the strip or street if you can't use it.

to give you a little idea..in my signature are my mods...i still need a stall, a torque arm, and "should" rebuild my transmission and get a aftermarket rear before i am ready to start picking my HCI
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

red
    2000TA

check all ls1 vendors for afordable head/cam combos.TSP has a good price on a head/cam combo,or check vengeance racing.
    Last edited by garygnu65; 06-11-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: more infor

Thread Information