lookin for a ws6

Best cam and heads for 98 LS1?

I would like to do a heads and cam swap sometime in the next 6 months, I would also change out the timing chain ,etc. I do autox and drag this car some , but it would still have to be streetable . I have 3:73 gears and a stall , just do not know what size stall . I would like to be able to run 12's consistenly . I will also put long tube headers and exhaust on it.
    Any suggestions ? Also do I need to get new heads or just have mine gone thru ? Thanks.

White
    1998 Trans Am

There's a lot of combinations to choose from... The Z06 heads are great !!! I'm building 5.3 heads / porting the hell out of them with 2.02 / 1.6 valves...I'm going high compression. At the moment, I'm running the stock 98 heads with a big port job and a comp cams high rpm cam. With the 150 dry shot, I'm getting high 10's - 11.0 !!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just did 5.3L stage 2.5 heads with a 228R cam. If you're looking for the best heads I would look at AFR. As far as cam selection there's quit a bit that goes into selecting the cam that works for you. I would think with your mods you should be well into the 12's already. The 228 cam is a decent cam and athe 224 has been going into daily drivers for years. Are you gonna tune it yourself or let Bill do it? Bill could have that 228 driving almost like stock I bet.

lookin for a ws6

I was going to let someone on cofba tune it.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnman View Post
    I would like to be able to run 12's consistenly . I will also put long tube headers and exhaust on it.
    Any suggestions ? Also do I need to get new heads or just have mine gone thru ? Thanks.
    12's consistantly is not really hard to do if thats your goal. You could achieve that with the LTs, a small stall (3000), and tune very easily. Depending on what YOU see as streetable, you could do a bigger stall, H/C and start seeing some high 11s easily. Also big questions would be, what kind of DA do you have in your area and how good is the track where you will be running, those make quite a difference.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I'm looking at ordering new comp replacement lifters and 5.3 stage 2.5 heads. After some research, I believe this is a going to be good combo for my TSP T2 + boltons that are already installed and tuned. I expect 440-450rwhp.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    I'm looking at ordering new comp replacement lifters and 5.3 stage 2.5 heads. After some research, I believe this is a going to be good combo for my TSP T2 + boltons that are already installed and tuned. I expect 440-450rwhp.
    after doing some reading I just went with GM replacement lifters.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if you use any of the heads mentioned, you'll have to swap the valve covers and coil packs to 99-up configuration. finding ported 97-98 heads is getting hard to come by. sometimes, patriot has them.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    00 maro ss

my 00 ss ran 12.5s- 12.7s all the time with no squirt. just intake long tubes, slp lid, bigger throttle body, had ram air hood, super conductors wires, 3/12 inch stainless offroad pipe, cat delete, aluminum flywheel, stock rear end and ss rims with toyo proxies. no muffler jus straights =) tune and one built ass t-56 with spec stage 3 clutch n short throw. spinnin thru third. after bolt ons and no tune I ran low mid 13s but after dyno I hit mid 12s. my concept was the same as havin a stall pretty much. just high rpm launch really made me be able to hit my low times. added 125 shot and couldn't catch trac n ran slower so I guess I just hit that perfect medium of shit-n-grip with durability.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Holy thread revival lol.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's only 7 years old...

2007..damn this is old. I remember '07 being a really fun year. 408 was brand new at the time..just a really fun summer

strong bump

black
    00 maro ss

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    There's a lot of combinations to choose from... The Z06 heads are great !!! I'm building 5.3 heads / porting the hell out of them with 2.02 / 1.6 valves...I'm going high compression. At the moment, I'm running the stock 98 heads with a big port job and a comp cams high rpm cam. With the 150 dry shot, I'm getting high 10's - 11.0 !!!
    my ninja!! so i got a 98 vette, just upgraded tranny bearings n synchros to stage 2 along with a 12 pound 2 piece flywheel with 800hp max fidanza clutch. just so i can do high rev shifts,, so i got my ls1 in my c5 ima drop soon and i wanna go with like a medium roller cam setup and boost the comp up. so what would be my best heads to use on this? ill have arp connectors so i wont have to worry about shitty hardwear. i just want a quick wrap higher compression high rev motor with some juice as well.. so now u know my setup help me out on some head ideas plz..

Thread Information