Thread: best cam

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

best cam

What would be the best cam to make the car slightly faster without having to do additional work to the car like valves etc. Something i could just drop in and get 75 to 100 horsepower, thank you.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

75-100hp is slightly faster lol. well 75-100hp to the fly will be easier than to the rear wheels.

Help us out...
    What times do you want to run?
    What is the car going to be used for?daily driver,street,strip/drag
    What mods does the car have now?
    A4 or M6?

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

The car is an auto , its got a slp lid and a slp exhaust with bassani y pipe with high flow cats custom tune with msd wires.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

i would like to use it as a daily driver but i only use it on weekends.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

i think the car has about 320 horsepower to the wheels.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

you can't just "drop in" a cam without doing anything else and expect to get 75-100 HP. You need to compliment it all with a better intake, Heads, exhaust, and AT LEAST the correct valve springs to handle all the extra lift. If you do not change the valve springs to match the cam, be prepared to suck a valve and have it sticking out the top of your piston.

You need to have a basic understanding on how a engine works. More cam = more air and fuel as well as exhaust leaving your engine. You need the componets to handle all that extra airflow or you will do nothing but choke the cam and not allow your engine to breathe properly.

I wish it was that easy to do, but be prepared to spend a couple of G's when you go to put a nice sized cam in.

With all my mods to my car I am only at 410 rwhp and beleive me it takes a whole lot more than just throwing in a cam without any thing else.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 10-11-2008 at 02:19 PM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Want 100hp without adding headers use nitrous.

Your going to need a stall if you dont have one already also....

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    you can't just "drop in" a cam without doing anything else and expect to get 75-100 HP. You need to compliment it all with a better intake, Heads, exhaust, and AT LEAST the correct valve springs to handle all the extra lift. If you do not change the valve springs to match the cam, be prepared to suck a valve and have it sticking out the top of your piston.

You need to have a basic understanding on how a engine works. More cam = more air and fuel as well as exhaust leaving your engine. You need the componets to handle all that extra airflow or you will do nothing but choke the cam and not allow your engine to breathe properly.

I wish it was that easy to do, but be prepared to spend a couple of G's when you go to put a nice sized cam in.

With all my mods to my car I am only at 410 rwhp and beleive me it takes a whole lot more than just throwing in a cam without any thing else.
    +1. Or like said above, you can spray the car. Cam's won't give you 100 hp automatically without the right equipment to back it up.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

jays00ss is correct. I just picked up a mild 216/220( for daily driver) cam and it was recommended to compliment the upgrade with springs and better breathing (intake, headers) engine.Dont forget your stock computer setting will need some tuning to make it complete.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

you need to search and read up first... get a basic understanding of what you think you want first.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    jays00ss is correct. I just picked up a mild 216/220( for daily driver) cam and it was recommended to compliment the upgrade with springs and better breathing (intake, headers) engine.Dont forget your stock computer setting will need some tuning to make it complete.
    Thats a pretty small cam. Didnt give any thought to even a 224 or 228? Those cams are damn near perfect for DD.

Anyway, OP... you need a few things before you "drop in" a cam. Headers with y-pipe and cat back or TD set up to start.

You dont absolutely need heads(they will help tremendously though)... plenty of people cam stock casting heads. But seeing your an A4, you WILL need a higher stall converter for almost any cam. Do a little reading on what you want to do with your car with the search feature at the top of the forum... Lots of info to read. GL

Thread Information