Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Bent Push Rods on LS1 M6 Cars?

This is a discussion on Bent Push Rods on LS1 M6 Cars? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by oneBADDz right, but luos' point is that if all of your valvetrain is stock and you upgrade ...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    right, but luos' point is that if all of your valvetrain is stock and you upgrade pushrods, the next time you miss a shift somthing else will break when the pushrod doesn't give. It's better to bend a pushrod than bend a valve, break a spring, or collapse a lifter
    yeah your right, i guess i missread lol i equate everything with modified as my entire valvetrain is very not stock lol sorry

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i envy you guys, i have to pull my top intake manifold off to change my pushrods lol i also have adjustable rockers, so i have to reset the valve lash. luckily i have strong hardened pushrods lol

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Did you forget to mention that part or is it just unnecessary??
    I don't bother. Never have.
    So I didn't forget, just listed how I do it.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    i wouldnt worry about it either as its on a pedestal mounted rocker. jus bolt em down and put her back together lol

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Thats what I figured. If I had to do it again I'd probably follow that procedure just to be on the safe side, but its good to know that its not absolutely necessary by any means.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I've never bothered turning the engine over to TDC either. Just torque em to 22 and thats it.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

The night before last I was cruising around with my buddies and missed shifted at the top of third and went into second and my whole engine shut down and it woudnt crank back up until the second try. So the car turns back on and all I can hear is this loud annoying knocking sounded coming from my engine. Went to a local shop and they told me to change my oil...? I just laughed and left because there was no way that was from the oil. So a buddie of mine looked at it the engine and took everything and he saw the problem immediantly. I had bent two push rods on the right side fo the engine. So now im heading up to Houston this afternoon to get new ones from HPE....Definatley will learn how to drive my car better I felt so dumb

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

The hardened ones from TSP are tough. My pushrods made it out fine. pistons, block, and head didn't but the pushrods did. Gotta still check all the springs but I'm sure they should be fine.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by redfiress08 View Post
    So now im heading up to Houston this afternoon to get new ones from HPE....Definatley will learn how to drive my car better I felt so dumb
    Don't worry about it, you aren't the only one.
    I had two bent ones when I pulled mine out.

If your valvetrain is stock, I recommend going with stock pushrods though. No need to replace an entire set, plus, just in case you over-rev again, you bend a pushrod, not whack a piston.

Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

My sons camaro started the ticking after a missed shift. He was around 4500 and shifted from 2nd to first. Oops. We pulled all the pushrods and none were bent. I rolled them on the glass of the pinball machine and they were perfectly straight. Is it possible he may have hurt the cam or lifter?

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by redfiress08 View Post
    The night before last I was cruising around with my buddies and missed shifted at the top of third and went into second and my whole engine shut down and it woudnt crank back up until the second try. So the car turns back on and all I can hear is this loud annoying knocking sounded coming from my engine. Went to a local shop and they told me to change my oil...? I just laughed and left because there was no way that was from the oil. So a buddie of mine looked at it the engine and took everything and he saw the problem immediantly. I had bent two push rods on the right side fo the engine. So now im heading up to Houston this afternoon to get new ones from HPE....Definatley will learn how to drive my car better I felt so dumb
    I know this a little old but i did the EXACT same thing only i bent 7 out o the 16 and replaced em all with comp cam chromolly rods, but.... the knocking wasnt from the rods it more came from the tranny, The internals of my tranny were all messed up and had to have it rebuilt by sixspeedsinc, so u got lucky with a cheap fix my friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information