Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Baddest Cam For Daily Driver??????

This is a discussion on Baddest Cam For Daily Driver?????? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by secondgearscratch heres my ideas.... lts, x pipe, bullet mufflers and dumped. hand ported stock heads i want ...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    heres my ideas....

lts, x pipe, bullet mufflers and dumped.
    hand ported stock heads
    i want alot of TQ, good midrange, and whatever will yield the absolute fastest trap speeds respectively. (and with supporting mods)
    i think i could tolerate a pretty rowdy cam but my car is driven on the street and taken to the track on weekends. i dont want a trailer queen or something i cant use. im 19, i dont have the desire to keep the miles off of it.
    any suggestions on a what i should have to achieve what i want, speaking in terms of a CAM. also would love to run 10:90s when its all said and done. please help me... 6 speed BTW
    don't get an MS4. you will see gains start around 5000rpm good to 7000rpm, but i dont know anyone who spins an ls1 that high. my rev limiter is 6600rpm and i shift around 6200-6400rpm (my car is a 6 speed). I think a Torquer v2, or a TSP 231/237 would be better. maybe a 236/236 cam. if you do a heads/cam, getting the FAST 90/90 combo will help you out significantly at that point. im saving for mine as we speak. take your time and do your research so that your mods compliment eachother to give you the goals you desire. best bet is to call TSP and tell them what you want and they will steer you in that direction...

here is the link to the Torquer v2 cam from TSP...
    http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=168&catid=44

even ported and clearanced? how much are they supposed to clear by cuz i dont want it to be really close either?! fuck that. anything can happen, i dont want to have to rebuild a 58000 mile ls1 at the moment....
    no you will have to flycut the pistions -1 or -2cc to get the clearance needed (.080" min -.100" preferred clearance)...

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

i like it being as loud and beligerent as possible, so if i achieve that, ive won half the battle in my mind....
    have you clicked on the top link in my sig yet?

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    have you clicked on the top link in my sig yet?
    yeah i was on there yesterday too. i have a pretty good idea about everything else but im just not sure about the cam.
    and hell no i dont want something that wakes up at 5 grand. youre damn right. i want whatever has a lot of tq and will get me through the traps as fast as possible with (eventually) 4.10s.
    i want something that pulls hard all the way through. i would think mid range power means more than top end. hell ill be in 4th crossing the traps.
    please school me because this is important shit and thanks again for helping....

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

even ported and clearanced? how much are they supposed to clear by cuz i dont want it to be really close either?! fuck that. anything can happen, i dont want to have to rebuild a 58000 mile ls1 at the moment....
    i agree 100%

thats why when companies make claims like that it pisses me off

you can always call up and ask what the Piston to Valve clearance for the cam usually is on a stock motor

acceptable is .120 exhaust /.100 intake (being conservative) or mostly accepted is .100 exhaust & .080 intake clearance

Ratdaddy07
    So here is where I suggest my cam again but it sounds like you will have pretty much something very close to my car and my 228/228,.580/.580 114LSA with the rest of the mods did 420RWH. Drives great, in fact in hind sight I would maybe do 230/230, .590/.590,114 or at least I think that would work well and still be daily driver duable. Even if you stay with 228 I think for sure a little more lift so maybe 228,.590 114. The peak was more than I expected and exactly what I had hoped and the curve is nice, not like a severe peak at 420 a pretty smooth curve.

Ratdaddy07
    I also have 4.10,s, car is strong everywhere. 2nd gear rolling along at 40 and feed it the gas strong and the car wants to break loose, hammer it and she will get wicked wiggly. Hard NOT to spin in 1st. Breaks loose in 3rd and 4th if you want it to.

Ratdaddy07
    OH and the 10.9 thing that will take a lot of work with the suspension and a LOT of practice. That is actually what I am shooting for as well, without nitrous.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdaddy07 View Post
    I also have 4.10,s, car is strong everywhere. 2nd gear rolling along at 40 and feed it the gas strong and the car wants to break loose, hammer it and she will get wicked wiggly. Hard NOT to spin in 1st. Breaks loose in 3rd and 4th if you want it to.
    with the 114 LSA its pretty damn conservative isnt it?? see im gonna have 112 LSA or something kinda rowdy. i want 4.10s
    what do you trap?
    what do you idle at?

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

torquer II would be an excellent option for ya

good tuner will be needed though... keep that in mind

112 lsa will give you some nice chop & some more ponies

Ratdaddy... whos does your tuning?

Pewter
    2000 z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADDLS1 View Post
    torquer II would be an excellent option for ya

good tuner will be needed though... keep that in mind
    i just looked at it again on tsp and i couldnt agree more. sorry for hi jacking and thanks for the help!!!!

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by schrysler View Post
    What Is The Nastiest Cam That Can Be Done And Still Be A True Daily Driver And Terror On The Street On The Weekends?

i just looked at it again on tsp and i couldnt agree more. sorry for hi jacking and thanks for the help!!!!
    dont worry... us Hugger Orange owners are loving hahaha

serously though... there has been a little hi-jacking... BUT certianly for everyones benefit including schrysler

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADDLS1 View Post

dont worry... us Hugger Orange owners are loving hahaha

serously though... there has been a little hi-jacking... BUT certianly for everyones benefit including schrysler
    everyone benefits when all you technical people get in your grooves. i think thats why i try to post in alot of threads. i learn a butt load.
    i was an ebay bid away from a hugger z. i talked to the owner and everything, very nice guy. his hands were tied when i wanted to buy it bc it was already on ebay and he didnt reserve the right to end it early. some dealer bought it.
    oh well...they are awesome colors though!!!!!
    nice car BADD!!!

Ratdaddy07
    118 was my best trap speed at the track but the #2 cylinder had a severe miss, well at least it was severe by the 3rd pass, in fact when we got it back and put it on the comp. #2 was dead. Trapped 121 on the little GPS deal you put on the window borrowed from my buddy when all cylinders where hitting but I have heard they will show 1-2 mph high don't know if that is true but should be close to 120. And yeah the 114 LSa is tame but the proof is in the #'s 420 at the wheels and a good curve.

Ratdaddy07
    Thunder did my tune. I think even they were surprised.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdaddy07 View Post
    Thunder did my tune. I think even they were surprised.
    sounds damn good. 420 is a nice fat number. i think i'll shoot for that. 120+ trap speeds are impressive to me, and thats what i want.
    good work ratdaddy, thanks for the help too.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

sounds like you know the route to go is the Torquer v2. i was lokoing at that cam along with theTSP 231/237 .598/.595 @112+2 lsa and decided to go with the latter. both cams will be very close to eachother in terms of power/gains. i reccomend the following to atleast get you into the 11's and towards your goal of high 10's, and the horsepower you want as well...

Lid
    Fast 90/90 Combo
    LT's
    True Duals/X-pipe
    Torquer v2 cam: 232/234 .595/.598 @112
    Ls6 Oil Pump
    Ls2 Timing Chain
    Heads (ported which you have covered)
    Tune
    4.10 gears
    Pan Hard Rod
    LCA's (Lower Control Arms)
    Drag Radials (brand of your choice)
    Aftermarket Shifter

im sure there's more but thats a good start and a very good amount of $$$$...

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

SGS, by the way, here is some good reading material for you....

Intakes:
    http://www.tpis.com/plog/index.php?o...Id=14&blogId=1

Cam:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327734

Pewter
    2000 z28

sounds like you know the route to go is the Torquer v2. i was lokoing at that cam along with theTSP 231/237 .598/.595 @112+2 lsa and decided to go with the latter. both cams will be very close to eachother in terms of power/gains. i reccomend the following to atleast get you into the 11's and towards your goal of high 10's, and the horsepower you want as well...

Lid
    Fast 90/90 Combo
    LT's
    True Duals/X-pipe
    Torquer v2 cam: 232/234 .595/.598 @112
    Ls6 Oil Pump
    Ls2 Timing Chain
    Heads (ported which you have covered)
    Tune
    4.10 gears
    Pan Hard Rod
    LCA's (Lower Control Arms)
    Drag Radials (brand of your choice)
    Aftermarket Shifter

im sure there's more but thats a good start and a very good amount of $$$$...

sweet. i have a list jotted down that i did yesterday between classes. i wish i could scan it in but i have everything you told me except the control arms and the shifter (on the list that is). i figured if im smart and go for used stuff mostly (like members on here selling lt's, gears etc..) and get a cam package from TSP like the Torquer, i figured i could be built to the t (respectively) including a 12 bolt or 9 inch with axles and i also figured in some sort of after market clutch. figured i could do it with about 5500 bucks and thats with most everything. not internal engine mods or any of that jazz. the basic suspension and drivetrain mods, intake, exhaust. i would have to list it all but hopefully you can grasp the concept of what i mean. what do ya think?

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

LG G5X3 Camshaft ! Verry agressive cam. I don't have the specs cause LG will not release the specs, but I use it and it is a great evil cam.

Pewter
    2000 z28

SGS, by the way, here is some good reading material for you....

Intakes:
    http://www.tpis.com/plog/index.php?o...Id=14&blogId=1

Cam:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327734
    thanks a bunch man...i appreciate it. i have read the tech article and it was pretty informative. i have had a basic understanding of cams for a good while but when youre faced with the decision and so many options it gets nerve-wracking.
    the tpis article was bad ass. the fast 90/90 combo really does perform all the way throught the powerband. hopefully i could find one cheap somewhere.
    thanks again!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information