Thread: Bad Rings??

Undertaker During the Day SpinsB's Avatar

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Bad Rings??

Long story short here is my prob I posted awhile back http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=427 Iv gathered a little more info(I sent my PCM to MTI and they did a base tune on it for the motor but figured i was using my stock injectors which i wasn't Im using Ford 30lb injectors) but also have more questions. Saying the rings are good to go b/c i did a compression test, but i also know the car is still burning oil at a pretty good rate(did oil change drove the car 500 miles checked it and was a quart low) and running rich still. If i got a tune and got the car to not run rich anymore would the rings seat in after all or is that not possible?? Im just trying to rull out all possibilities before I tear the motor out of the car and have it rebuilt and what not.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Wow , that pic with all the exhaust streaks scares me. Did you ever switch to conventional oil and beat the piss outta it? I wonder if the some of the seals on the head got tore/broke. Maybe Sarge could help

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Are you still running a PCV setup??

Like someone in the other thread said, disconnect and cap off any and all crankcase vent lines to the intake manifold, and just let the crankcase vent to the atmosphere.

Then pull the Throttle body off and clean the inside of the intake manifold with Seafoam. It would also be good to run a can of seafoam through the brake booster line to clean the cylinders out.

After all that, drive the car for a while and see if you still have the problem.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Are you still running a PCV setup??

Like someone in the other thread said, disconnect and cap off any and all crankcase vent lines to the intake manifold, and just let the crankcase vent to the atmosphere.

Then pull the Throttle body off and clean the inside of the intake manifold with Seafoam. It would also be good to run a can of seafoam through the brake booster line to clean the cylinders out.

After all that, drive the car for a while and see if you still have the problem.
    Yea I am. I hooked up everything that would have been used when stock. Doing what you stated what would that help or do? Also what else can I eleminate from stock with this motor. Im running the FAST intake how many places will there be to cap off?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SpinsB View Post
    Yea I am. I hooked up everything that would have been used when stock. Doing what you stated what would that help or do? Also what else can I eleminate from stock with this motor. Im running the FAST intake how many places will there be to cap off?
    It would pinpoint and eliminate your oil consumption problem. Your new motor is probably pulling some good vacuum, causing it to suck oil right through the crappy PCV system.

Basically you want to unhook the PCV hose from the manifold, cap off the port, then stick breather filters over the PCV ports on the valve covers. Just find your PCV valve and follow the line to the intake. This will allow crankcase vapors to vent upwards and out of the engine through the filters instead of having oil sucked back into the intake manifold.

If you do the above and the oil burning is gone, you have found your problem. Next step would be to run an LS6 PCV setup with a catch can in between the PCV hose and intake to catch and oil that still comes through, or just leave the breathers on the valve covers and run it as an open system.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    It would pinpoint and eliminate your oil consumption problem. Your new motor is probably pulling some good vacuum, causing it to suck oil right through the crappy PCV system.

Basically you want to unhook the PCV hose from the manifold, cap off the port, then stick breather filters over the PCV ports on the valve covers. Just find your PCV valve and follow the line to the intake. This will allow crankcase vapors to vent upwards and out of the engine through the filters instead of having oil sucked back into the intake manifold.

If you do the above and the oil burning is gone, you have found your problem. Next step would be to run an LS6 PCV setup with a catch can in between the PCV hose and intake to catch and oil that still comes through, or just leave the breathers on the valve covers and run it as an open system.
    ok I understand everything you have said. If I do this as far as doing away with the PCV system will doing so throw codes or anything along those lines? I know I have a good motor I just want to do away with things that aren't needed but also dont want to mess anything up.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

ok I understand everything you have said. If I do this as far as doing away with the PCV system will doing so throw codes or anything along those lines? I know I have a good motor I just want to do away with things that aren't needed but also dont want to mess anything up.
    No codes at all, the computer has nothing to do with the PCV system, it works all on its own.

Like I said, you don't have to permanently delete the PCV, just remove it temporarily to see if its causing your oil consumption problem. Once you've figured it out, you can reinstall the PCV using the valley cover from an LS6 engine and a catch can to eliminate the oil consumtion problem, since the LS6 uses a much better design than the LS1 does.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

I did a search on the catch can and all that jazz. Thanks alot for your time and much needed help. Im doing that mod and leaving it that way. Do i need to replace the PCV valve with the new designed one? Also is the LS6 vally cover a must? The motor I have is a built LS2 and Im pretty sure i didnt switch over my LS1 vally cover

Any catch can system you think works better than others. Almost everone has one on the market. Thunder Racing, WS6store, RevXtreme ect...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I did a search on the catch can and all that jazz. Thanks alot for your time and much needed help. Im doing that mod and leaving it that way. Do i need to replace the PCV valve with the new designed one? Also is the LS6 vally cover a must? The motor I have is a built LS2 and Im pretty sure i didnt switch over my LS1 vally cover

Any catch can system you think works better than others. Almost everone has one on the market. Thunder Racing, WS6store, RevXtreme ect...
    Yes, its worth the $6 to get the newer style PCV valve.

You don't have to get the LS6 valley cover, but its a good idea, since its a much better design and will prevent the catch can from filling up quickly. If you use the stock LS1 system, instead of burning the oil like you're doing now, you'll be accumulating it in the catch can, which will have to be emptied quite often. So you're best bet is to upgrade to the LS6 valley cover/PCV system.

All the catch cans should work equally well since they all function on the same principle, just a matter of preference as to which one you want to get.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Awesome. Well i know what my next mod is. Thanks again for all your help.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Awesome. Well i know what my next mod is. Thanks again for all your help.
    No prob

Thread Information