Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

anyone have a how to cam head swap?

Looking to do cam and heads this summer just wondering if anyone knew of a good how to out there. I hear that you need to drop the engine out that didn't sound right to me. Any help is appreciated.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

No need to drop the motor. Remove the radiator and fans to access the timing cover, but no sense in dropping it out. Look around for the the sticky on it or do a search for cam swap.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by bhunter0830 View Post
    No need to drop the motor. Remove the radiator and fans to access the timing cover, but no sense in dropping it out. Look around for the the sticky on it or do a search for cam swap.
    Sent you a PM

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

thank you that's the kind of response you get from a shop that doesn't know f-body cars I thought I was in for a headache

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I did a write up on how to do a cam swap and it is located in the technical stickies in the general help forum.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

The is no need to pull the engine, you will have plenty of room. The only tricky part will be the head bolts, tty bolts and trying to get the correct angle on them. The link I included will help you a lot if this is your first time.
    LS1Howto.com

98 Formula
    06 duramax

use ARP bolts and no need to mess with the torque to yeild stuff. The write up at ls1howto.com that steve83ta posted is excellent. It walks you through step by step with pictures. It really makes it so anyone can do it.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Personally, I would drop the motor. It makes everything 10x easier, and the only additional things that need to be disconnected are the alternator, AC, and brakes.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

How much time in labor would it be to drop vs just work in the engine bay? Trying to figure out renting a lift at a friends shop vs just having him help

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you follow that how to you don't need to drop the engine to do heads cam. If you do it right you won't even have to crack the hvac lines....just swing them out of the way. I wouldn't drop the engine just for heads/cam. Not sure on the hours. I did it over a winter working on it at night after work so I stretched it out. Probably figure the better part of a weekend if you're working on it steady with an assistant. Since it's your first time it'll take a bit longer. Just check, double check, and triple check all your parts going in so you have absolutely everything you'll need right there in front of you before you start. Nothing sucks worse than to have to stop to run to the parts store or what not. You'll need a torque wrench that goes to I *think* 220 ft/lb's for the ARP crank bolt so if you don't have that borrow one from a parts store. A tool to push the balancer on is also nice to have and can be made yourself out of 16mmx2.0 thread stock and some bolts/washers.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if you follow that how to you don't need to drop the engine to do heads cam. If you do it right you won't even have to crack the hvac lines....just swing them out of the way. I wouldn't drop the engine just for heads/cam. Not sure on the hours. I did it over a winter working on it at night after work so I stretched it out. Probably figure the better part of a weekend if you're working on it steady with an assistant. Since it's your first time it'll take a bit longer. Just check, double check, and triple check all your parts going in so you have absolutely everything you'll need right there in front of you before you start. Nothing sucks worse than to have to stop to run to the parts store or what not. You'll need a torque wrench that goes to I *think* 220 ft/lb's for the ARP crank bolt so if you don't have that borrow one from a parts store. A tool to push the balancer on is also nice to have and can be made yourself out of 16mmx2.0 thread stock and some bolts/washers.
    I have a friend helping me with the swap hes a racecar mechanic so I'm sure he has all the tools needed. I'm only wondering if I should do the torque converter first or not. I'm trying to figure what to throw the money at first it's difficult haha. I still need to find the right cam for the car and how I drive plus rods, springs, a timing chain and I wanted to do the intake while I had the top of the engine tore apart save me from doing it later. CARS ARE EXPENSIVE its nuts rather send the cash to mod an lsx over a ford though anyone I talk to says its double the price almost.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

My 1st cam swap prob took me 2 weekends working by my self. I have done 4 of them now and can knock them out in 1 weekend w/o breaking a sweat. I do the double and triple check so it's takes me a bit longer then some other peeps, BUT I prefer the peace of mind at night knowing I did the work correctly the 1st time and nothing is going to break and nothing is incorrectly installed. The standard head bolts will go in w/o dropping the motor. If you want to use studs, I believe you will need to drop the engine, but I haven't done that job before, so i'm not 100% sure.

Thread Information