Results 1 to 15 of 15

Any Point in porting stock heads?

This is a discussion on Any Point in porting stock heads? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a friend who is getting a set of LS6 heads for his vette. He said he'd sell me ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Buckeye, AZ
    Age
    52
    Posts
    66

    RED
    2000 WS6 TA

    Any Point in porting stock heads?

    I have a friend who is getting a set of LS6 heads for his vette. He said he'd sell me his old set cheap. Is there any point in having a set of stock 5.7 heads ported with bigger valves or should I save my money and get a set of LS6 heads my self? And while we're on it: LS6 head and 5.3 heads, what's the difference and which is better?

  2. #2
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    If you are doing the porting and polishing yourself I'd say go for it, you would be suprised how much material you can get out of the stock heads and really make them flow. I'd say do the port and polish, then take them to a shop and have them milled down some and get the bigger valves put it.
    the main difference between the 5.3 and ls6 (243) heads are the ls6 already have the bigger valves and runners.
    I haven't had it on a dyno yet, but I'm running my stock 241 heads. I ported and polished the hell out of them and it made a big difference you can feel
    Last edited by mark21742; 04-22-2009 at 04:26 AM.

  3. #3
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    The difference between 5.3 and 5.7(LS1-6) heads is head chamber volume. A 5.3 has a less CC volume, therefor, giving you a bump in compression right of the get go. Everybody has thier opinion on which head is right.

  4. #4
    Junior Member HAWK12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8

    Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

    Just buy a set of CNC ported heads and be done with it

  5. #5
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK12 View Post
    Just buy a set of CNC ported heads and be done with it
    but then you don't get the joy of working a 90 in and out fo the heads to get them where you want them

  6. #6
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    How hard is it to port and polish heads yourself?

  7. #7
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    How hard is it to port and polish heads yourself?
    it wasn't very hard, it took me about 5 hours strait of grinding and sanding. you have to make sure not to grind into the waterjacket, but was able to get A lot of material out and really make them flow.
    I have some pics of a cutaway head section I'll try to post up for you this weekend

  8. #8
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by LS666 View Post
    I have a friend who is getting a set of LS6 heads for his vette. He said he'd sell me his old set cheap. Is there any point in having a set of stock 5.7 heads ported with bigger valves or should I save my money and get a set of LS6 heads my self? And while we're on it: LS6 head and 5.3 heads, what's the difference and which is better?
    You probably already know if you make an engine breath better it will run better right? So I'm with Mark21742 on this one. I did my 3.4L tdc heads and the difference was nearly night and day. I'd say give it a shot yourself. Good Luck..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-24-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  9. #9
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Just remember, once the material is gone, its gone.

  10. #10
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Just remember, once the material is gone, its gone.


    Be careful, most say Porting and polishing is a art form.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  11. #11
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post


    Be careful, most say Porting and polishing is a art form.
    The guys who do the hand porting, have done it hundreds of times and know ehre to take material away and where to keep it. I have ported 3 sets of heads, with every porting change... I would put it on a Superflow flow bench and test it. With before and after. I shit you not, you can take out material in an area and hurt performance. You can also Hog out a runner untill you have nothing next to your water jacket and it will flow crazy CFM's. But then you have offically lost all air velocity and you low-mid range TQ just went bye bye. Good heads with thousands of USD's in R & D into them are pricey for a reason. They have tested, they have fucked up enough heads to know where to take... and where to leave. This is where a awesome thing called CNC Programs comes into play. (Computer Numeric Controlled) That means some guy with hundreds of hours of time perfecting a runner gets it perfect. Then they copy that over and over again and the tolerances for defect are amazing. Without a flow bench it will be very hard to know where to take material out. This is just my opinion, but I wouldnt port my own heads.

  12. #12
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    The guys who do the hand porting, have done it hundreds of times and know ehre to take material away and where to keep it. I have ported 3 sets of heads, with every porting change... I would put it on a Superflow flow bench and test it. With before and after. I shit you not, you can take out material in an area and hurt performance. You can also Hog out a runner untill you have nothing next to your water jacket and it will flow crazy CFM's. But then you have offically lost all air velocity and you low-mid range TQ just went bye bye. Good heads with thousands of USD's in R & D into them are pricey for a reason. They have tested, they have fucked up enough heads to know where to take... and where to leave. This is where a awesome thing called CNC Programs comes into play. (Computer Numeric Controlled) That means some guy with hundreds of hours of time perfecting a runner gets it perfect. Then they copy that over and over again and the tolerances for defect are amazing. Without a flow bench it will be very hard to know where to take material out. This is just my opinion, but I wouldnt port my own heads.

    +1000. Good info to learn from you have (yoda voice)

  13. #13
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Just remember, once the material is gone, its gone.
    true, when i did mine i had a cut down head section and was ready to buy another set of heads if i messed mine up

  14. #14
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Up date!!!!! I've been talking about rebuilding my rebuilding my 3.4L TDC, for some time now. So I sent my heads to be machined and set up for a turbocharger. Found out my "home" port and polish was FU *(*9 up so bad can't be reused!!!! My advise is DONT DO THEM AT HOME!. Good luck!! Here, it's about 500 or so to get my machine work done. Add the $685.00 for the new LQx heads! I can think of over a thousand things to spend $1200.00 on other than stock "STILL" need machined heads!!!!Just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-26-2009 at 10:39 AM.

  15. #15
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Found out my "home" port and polish was FU *(*9 up so bad can't be reused!!!! My advise is DONT DO THEM AT HOME!. Good luck!!
    That right there should scare enough people that have zero experience with porting. Be careful people, once its gone... its gone.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is it worth porting stock heads?
    By silver35thss in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 05:13 AM
  2. stock heads, porting and milling?
    By LS1Jason in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
  3. porting stock heads?
    By sradocena in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 05:19 PM
  4. Porting stock 99 heads yes or no
    By skar in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 12:31 AM
  5. Porting stock heads.
    By Snake Eater in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •