Another head/cam build question

This is a discussion on Another head/cam build question within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Alright, so I finally almost have enough money to do my heads and cam build. I'm also getting an LSX ...

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Another head/cam build question

Alright, so I finally almost have enough money to do my heads and cam build. I'm also getting an LSX intake and TB, LT headers, oil pump, timing chain, etc, all the essentials.

I'm looking at tsp h/c package with PRC 2.5 heads and tsunami cam. Its a 235/240 .648/.609 111 LSA. Comes with hardened pushrods, dual springs and titanium retainers. I have read all the sticky's and some other posts but still dont know some things

A few questions, With this set-up will I have clearance issues with the heads or any other part? Should I go with stock length pushrods(7.4)? Or a different length? Any input or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Well, since no one's got anything for me I'll just order the 7.4 pushrods and get a checker. If it's longer or shorter i will send them back and get new one's. As for the clearance issue's, I will just talk to the guys at tps and hopefully they can help out.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

does TSP say it will clear on their website? i would definately clay test for PTV clearance. what is the 'cc' size of those heads? for example im running heads that are '59cc'. also, im running 7.4's pushrods for my single pattern 224 cam, but i have a feeling you may need a different size, but don't take my word on it. call them and find out.

im curious, what are your build goals for the car? why since i large cam? ever consider a custom grind cam that would be more taylored for your specific setup/build goals?

no matter, you will enjoy the results. good luck!
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    does TSP say it will clear on their website? i would definately clay test for PTV clearance. what is the 'cc' size of those heads? for example im running heads that are '59cc'. also, im running 7.4's pushrods for my single pattern 224 cam, but i have a feeling you may need a different size, but don't take my word on it. call them and find out.

im curious, what are your build goals for the car? why since i large cam? ever consider a custom grind cam that would be more taylored for your specific setup/build goals?

no matter, you will enjoy the results. good luck!
    I was looking at their website and it does not say anything about clearance issues. I'm not sure about the CC size either, can't seem to find it. I'm not sure what you mean by the clay test for PTV, I will assume your talking about Valve spring clearance?

I am definitely going to call and talk to TPS before I buy anything I was just trying to get some more info from members with experience before I do. This will be my first Head/cam swap i've done.

I might go with a slightly smaller cam(low 230's) Because I just want an aggressive street car that is not my DD with occasional track visits. I realize the 235/240 is a bit big. Thanks for the info

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

The Tsunami isn't all that big really. I'd say good choice for a weekend car. I went with the torquer3 and wish I'd have went a touch bigger. PTV-Piston to Valve clearance. Those heads and that cam will be fine. Texas Speed will tell you what push rod should work, but you still want to check after install. The wrong length could cause lack of power or worse, engine damage. Those heads will be 64cc chambers, they may be able to mill them down a little to pick up a little more compression.

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    The Tsunami isn't all that big really. I'd say good choice for a weekend car. I went with the torquer3 and wish I'd have went a touch bigger. PTV-Piston to Valve clearance. Those heads and that cam will be fine. Texas Speed will tell you what push rod should work, but you still want to check after install. The wrong length could cause lack of power or worse, engine damage. Those heads will be 64cc chambers, they may be able to mill them down a little to pick up a little more compression.
    Thanks, the PTV was mainly what I was concerned with. I talked to my buddy who has a WS6 With a 236/238 .601/.605 and said he had no clearance issues and his car is pretty much where I want to be. So I'll probably stick with the 235/240. Thanks again.

Thread Information