Results 1 to 16 of 16

Another Cam Help Thread LS1 Into 70 Vette w/TKO

This is a discussion on Another Cam Help Thread LS1 Into 70 Vette w/TKO within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am gathering all the parts and pieces to make this swap go easy for me when the time comes. ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Eddie 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Tn
    Age
    49
    Posts
    56

    Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

    Another Cam Help Thread LS1 Into 70 Vette w/TKO

    I am gathering all the parts and pieces to make this swap go easy for me when the time comes. What I have now is an 02 LS1 with 22k miles. I have since picked up a set of take off low mile 243 heads that I plan installing. The car has a factory curb weight of 3285 lbs. It has a 5 speed transmission and 3.36 rear gear. I would like to have around 400 RWHP and TQ.


    Let me hear all the recommendations you have and reasons for those.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

  2. #2
    Member RE AND CHERYL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dover DE
    Age
    48
    Posts
    113

    red
    94 Z28

    Not to be a jerk. But I recomend people do the research and make up their own mind. A cam that is right for me will not be right for you unless we both have the same goals. Also one persons idea of a DD cam with "good drivability" is another persons idea of an all out track only cam.

    Me personally I'm a stealth kinda person. My car is fairly quiet and has an almost unnoticable lope (117 lsa), with cam, heads and MAC mids it should make 415 ish RWHP and take on most all commmers in my area. But they will never know what they bit off till the light turns green.

    if you really want a cam recomendation. At least tell us what your HP goals are and how you want it to sound and drive. Then take all of our recomendations, throw them in the trash, and pick a cam that is right for you.

    Re'

  3. #3
    Junior Member Eddie 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Tn
    Age
    49
    Posts
    56

    Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

    Good points and all taken. What I would like is for the car to sound healthy. I don't want to shake the car apart. I was thinking 113 or 114 on LSA. I would prefer not to have to cut the pistons. The car when in OD and cruising on the interstate it is turning around 2000 RPM at 75 MPH.

    Does this help some. I started out liking the G5X2 cam and still do. I have been looking at the 228R and like those numbers too.

  4. #4
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie 70 View Post
    Good points and all taken. What I would like is for the car to sound healthy. I don't want to shake the car apart. I was thinking 113 or 114 on LSA. I would prefer not to have to cut the pistons. The car when in OD and cruising on the interstate it is turning around 2000 RPM at 75 MPH.

    Does this help some. I started out liking the G5X2 cam and still do. I have been looking at the 228R and like those numbers too.
    im more a fan of the 228 cam simply because you dont have to spin it up as high to get good power.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  5. #5
    Junior Member Eddie 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Tn
    Age
    49
    Posts
    56

    Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    im more a fan of the 228 cam simply because you dont have to spin it up as high to get good power.
    Good point. I most likely will not be running the car in those RPM ranges very often.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
    Me personally I'm a stealth kinda person. My car is fairly quiet and has an almost unnoticable lope (117 lsa), with cam, heads and MAC mids it should make 415 ish RWHP and take on most all commmers in my area. But they will never know what they bit off till the light turns green.
    Agreed.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Eddie 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Tn
    Age
    49
    Posts
    56

    Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Agreed.
    TR 23x/24x 60x/61x Camshaft

    That would be a pretty good sized camshaft. How did it perform for you? Did you drive it daily or just a racer?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie 70
    TR 23x/24x 60x/61x Camshaft

    That would be a pretty good sized camshaft. How did it perform for you? Did you drive it daily or just a racer?
    We just recently installed that cam, was originally running the CheaTR cam for awhile. It was a bit of a bear to tune with the stock head configuration, but yes, I've been daily driving it since it's installation. I don't have any times with this cam, and probabaly won't since it'll be gone very soon, but it pulls like a mofo in comparison with the former. In reference to your build though, I would honestly recommend this for your application; 215/223 .629/.636 113LSA (+0). Street and emissions friendly, nice lope, and mega power under the curve (go ahead, ask me how I know)....

  9. #9
    Member RE AND CHERYL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dover DE
    Age
    48
    Posts
    113

    red
    94 Z28

    215/223 .629/.636 113LSA (+0)
    I like small cams. Better get good springs for that one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    ^ Oh absolutely.....

  11. #11
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    We just recently installed that cam, was originally running the CheaTR cam for awhile. It was a bit of a bear to tune with the stock head configuration, but yes, I've been daily driving it since it's installation. I don't have any times with this cam, and probabaly won't since it'll be gone very soon, but it pulls like a mofo in comparison with the former. In reference to your build though, I would honestly recommend this for your application; 215/223 .629/.636 113LSA (+0). Street and emissions friendly, nice lope, and mega power under the curve (go ahead, ask me how I know)....
    the 224/224 is also street and emissions friendly, makes more power and is way more easy on the springs.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    The 224/224 is a very proven camshaft, but considered by many to be an off the shelf design. With the above recommendation, and depending on compression levels, he's going to want dynamic compression in the 8.7 - 8.8:1 range, with an intake closing point above 40 degrees ABCD @ .050". Keeping overlap @ .50" at -7 degrees or less, and overlap @ .0006" at 45 degrees or less, will allow for a more than friendly emission factor, while making unbelievable power under the curve. In a nutshell, better idle over the 224/224, while making much more power....

    .... 0.006 0.050 0.200
    ID 265 215 142
    ED 273 223 153
    LSA 113 113 113
    ICL 113 113 113
    IVO 19.5 -5.5 -42 BTDC
    IVC 65.5 40.5 4 ABDC
    EVO 69.5 44.5 9.5 BBDC
    EVC 23.5 -1.5 -36.5 ATDC
    ECL 113 113 113
    Overlap: 43 -7 -78.5 degrees

  13. #13
    Junior Member Eddie 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Tn
    Age
    49
    Posts
    56

    Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

    At this point I do not have to worry about emissions where I live. I do not see it happening anytime soon so emissions should be no worry.


    Those are small duration numbers but big lift numbers. (Here is where I may accidentally learn something.) The small duration numbers are to help with emissions compliance? I was thinking the 228 for duration and maybe 113 or 114 lsa. Lift I was thinking near 600++ or - a little.


    I did find one cam that was for sale in one of the forums. It has these numbers.

    DURATION @ .050 intake 227.9 exhaust 233.6 Valve Lift w/1.7 rockers intake .643 exhaust .598 Lobe Separation 114.7

    What would one expect out of a cam like that. I am thinking a fairly smooth idle because of the LSA.

  14. #14
    Junior Member Eddie 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Tn
    Age
    49
    Posts
    56

    Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

    I wound up buying the G5X2 cam today. I guess there is no turning back now. Time to rock and roll.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie 70
    I wound up buying the G5X2 cam today....
    232/240 .595/.608

    112 or 114 LSA.....?

  16. #16
    Junior Member Eddie 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Tn
    Age
    49
    Posts
    56

    Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

    I got the 112. Anthony at LG told me that it would have more torque down lower which should help drivability around town. Should have a nice little rumble to it also.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. C5 Vette
    By richard head in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 01:06 PM
  2. what do u vette guys think about this thread ??
    By Speedy_Gonzales in forum Corvette
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
  3. 97 C5 vette, $14,900
    By stepuptata in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 03:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •